PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
An over set neck. Can this only be caused by the initial neck set? Or is there something in the life of the guitar that may cause a neck to move in this way?

I have a grandpa's old Yamaha I'm fixing up for a young man. To get sufficient action on the guitar I've had to raise the adjustable bridge quite a bit. I'm currently at 5/54" on the low E, and 4/64" on the high E. Lower than I personally like on an acoustic, but the top of the saddles are about 9/16" off the top of the guitar which feels awfully high (it's a weird measurement on an acoustic I realize but this is effectively an electric guitar bridge, I don't really have the usual bridge/saddle relationship to gauge things). And the strings are now having to navigate their way around the bolts on the back edge of the bridge.

I don't see any way around this short of pulling the neck, and working with the angle. A non-starter for me, personally.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
Generally an instrument will age the opposite way. High
humidity can overset a neck. I normally have my steel strings guitars at 14 mm just a touch lower than yours. What does it sound like with all that mass on the bridge. Were they sold like that at one time? I am not sure if it matters if the saddle with that bridge is higher than an acoustic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

johnparchem wrote:
Generally an instrument will age the opposite way. High
humidity can overset a neck. I normally have my steel strings guitars at 14 mm just a touch lower than yours. What does it sound like with all that mass on the bridge. Were they sold like that at one time? I am not sure if it matters if the saddle with that bridge is higher than an acoustic.

That's what I was thinking too John. There's no evidence the guitar has dried out, and its a pretty old plywood guitar, so I'm not sure how much humidity swings would change things at this point.

The guitar sounds okay. Hard to say what it is I'm actually hearing here as there are a bunch of variables that aren't what I would consider typical, but nothing seems amiss.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
Yes, definitely a guitar built in a higher humidity environment and moved to lower humidity, the soundboard will go down and the saddle will need to be raised.

I wouldn't worry about it. That action does not sound too low. Why don't you like it? How it feels or buzzing? If it's buzzing level the frets.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:46 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Connor if your measurements are at the 12th they are pretty good.

Dry guitars may go into back bow and that can look like an overset neck especially when the dome of the top reduces at the same time and for the same reason. Tops's don't always recover domes and that's what I suspect has happened here. Yams are tough, rarely crack unless completely provoked and I see them carried around here outside by homeless folks in the snow and winter. We've fixed up some and donated them to the homeless here and we do that from time to time.

Regarding the string height off the top in front of the bridge of 9/16th" that's only 1/16" higher than Martin shoots for. You're good with what you have me thinks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks guys. I was mostly concerned about how the strings are forced to sit on all that hardware behind the saddles, but with that weird "tune-o-matic" style bridge on there I was feeling a little unmoored as far as what to expect. I suppose if it sounds fine, the worst that could happen with those strings sitting on the bolts is that this guitar may break strings at the bridge more often than another guitar might.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
If that was my personal guitar, I would convert the bridge to a bone saddle setup and shed all that weight. Might make a big difference.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Conor_Searl (Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm) • Pmaj7 (Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:45 pm)