PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I'm 98% sure I'm going to pass on this portion of the repair. But for my own curiosity, is there a way around fixing this without stripping the neck completely and redoing it?

I was taught several years ago of a way to fix some flaking lacquer on a Les Paul. It was the victim of a cheap guitar stand and the rubber burned a couple spots in the lacquer and caused some flaking. The guy who taught me wetted the flaky parts with butyl cellosolve, and then drop filled the void with lacquer. The spots were small, and it was a fairly out of the way spot, and wasn't handled a lot. Would this technique still work on a bigger spot like the neck? My hesitations are that I have no idea what's gone on with this guitar, and the substrate is looking pretty gummy, plus there'd be all of the "who knows what" from players hands rubbing into the spot. Not to mention it has the potential to be a really big eyesore.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
In my shop, I would clean the area with lacquer cleaner first. Sand all the flakes off, and then shoot fresh lacquer. I'd take it easy on the sanding to avoid having to re-stain. That's a head scratcher for sure. How gummy does it feel? Did the guy have it laying on a vinyl guitar strap?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Conor_Searl (Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:23 pm) • Hesh (Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:38 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Too bad it's not a maple neck they you can scrape the finish off and refinish it with Waterlox and the client will love you for giving them the slickest neck in the business.

What Chris said there is no easy fix for this AND take heed to what Chris said about preserving the stain. These want to scope creep badly if you make the wrong move.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Conor_Searl (Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
What does the owner expect of the work and does his budget match the expectation? Specification creep is a prevalent problem, but disappointment in the finished job is also in the mix.