PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've been asked to see if I can make this P-Bass neck work. It appears the truss rod either sheared off at the threads, and someone attempted a repair by reaming some of the wood out, or else someone robbed the adjustment nut. The tip of the screw is recessed about an inch and an 1/8" into the heel, and protrudes about 5/16" from what appears to be surrounding wood.

I've got a typical philips head Fender style nut that seems to thread onto the rod, but it sits really far into the heel of the neck. I did purchase some of Stew Mac's truss rod rescue kit tools. The spacers/washers they sent don't seem to fit around the rod, (but it may be that the reamed opening is off center with the rod) and even the Stew Mac reamer doesn't seem fit around the rod. I'm hesitant to get too crazy with the rescue kit tools as it would be pretty easy to lose them inside the hole, and they're expensive!

None of this particular repair seems typical. So I guess my question is, is this normal? Perhaps I shouldn't try anything fancy, just get some hardware store washers that fit into the opening and have a larger center hole, then use the nut I have?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I gotta scratch my head awhile on this one.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:34 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:33 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Whatever works and these days you are also up against the economics of tossing that entire neck and getting a new one from Fender for not very much money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Hesh wrote:
Whatever works and these days you are also up against the economics of tossing that entire neck and getting a new one from Fender for not very much money.

Did exactly that several times when it was much cheaper than the cost of a repair. Gave ‘em the old neck back for possible future vintage value.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:42 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I suppose you'll have to experiment a bit, Conor. While the client could buy a new neck, I'd be tempted to pull the fingerboard and rout the maple away over that area for a closer look-see. Won't be cheap or easy, but would keep it original. Let the client decide, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Certainly, the washers option would be worth trying and have no down side if they don't work.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Hesh (Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:42 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:56 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
My opinions: As a customer, I think any cash spent on labor is lost money. Since the labor in this repair is for time spent, most likely, I don't want to subsidize my repairman's education, I'd prefer to spend cash on new components. So, as a customer, I'd like to have the choice, going in. as to how much a new neck would cost, parts and labor, and a firm estimate of how much will be spent on the maybe-this-will-work stacked washer repair. I'd choose between the two. I would have no interest in removing the fingerboard and swapping out the truss rod. Neck's going to be off anyway, might as well put on a new one. I'd have no interest in subsidizing 'experiment a bit' on my dime.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:38 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey, we are just trying to come up with solutions for Conor's problem. And labor IS the main cost in this craft. I am not sure where you are coming from.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 3): Smylight (Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:32 pm) • Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 am) • Chris Pile (Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:08 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
And labor IS the main cost in this craft.

Preach that stuff, Barry. They don't seek us out and pay us tall stacks of long green because of our pretty legs.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 am) • Barry Daniels (Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:08 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

phavriluk wrote:
My opinions: As a customer, I think any cash spent on labor is lost money. Since the labor in this repair is for time spent, most likely, I don't want to subsidize my repairman's education, I'd prefer to spend cash on new components. So, as a customer, I'd like to have the choice, going in. as to how much a new neck would cost, parts and labor, and a firm estimate of how much will be spent on the maybe-this-will-work stacked washer repair. I'd choose between the two. I would have no interest in removing the fingerboard and swapping out the truss rod. Neck's going to be off anyway, might as well put on a new one. I'd have no interest in subsidizing 'experiment a bit' on my dime.

I had that conversation with him today. I let him know there were a couple things I could try, but anything other then dropping some washers in and seeing if that made the neck useable was likely going to be more money than a new neck was worth. I would never ever ask a customer to subsidize my education. And I've done lots of jobs where i spent more time then I was comfortable billing for, simply because I felt a job took me longer than what someone with more experience could do it for. I generally go with a "book price" on all of my routine work, and make sure customers know up front the ball park they should expect the bill to be in. I also never work on someone else's stuff when I can't clearly conceptualize the job from start to finish. So I ask lots of questions here, and elsewhere before I ever start the meter.

But I agree with Barry and Chris, what do you mean by cash spent on labor is lost money? if I don't get to charge people for the time I take away from my family and other commitments, then what am I doing this all for?

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post (total 2): Smylight (Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:34 pm) • Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Customer perspective. A customer can see a new neck, but he undervalues problem-solving. I agree enthusiastically that someone doing work ought to be fairly compensated.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 am)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
A customer who doesn’t see the value in skilled labour might be reminded that the value is not in the labour itself but in the results of that labour.

There’s value in saving a neck that someone might love the feel of. Change the neck and you could end up feeling like you’re playing a different guitar. The neck is the user interface. I’d sooner toss the body on my favourite tele than swap the neck.

Some customers also may have a desire not to throw nice pieces of maple and rosewood onto the bonfire where repair and reuse is an option, even if it costs a few bucks more. This tonewood stuff doesn’t grow on trees!!!

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:42 am) • Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:39 am)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:11 am 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:
And labor IS the main cost in this craft.

Preach that stuff, Barry. They don't seek us out and pay us tall stacks of long green because of our pretty legs.

Hey, speak for yourself!!! :D :D

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 pm) • Hesh (Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:40 am)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

phavriluk wrote:
Customer perspective. A customer can see a new neck, but he undervalues problem-solving.

Well, that would be a misinformed customer that needs some edumacation.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:41 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

I should mention too, that the P-Bass neck in question is a Mexican made neck. It's got loads of "mojo" and is super comfortable, but as it seems clear to everyone here, may not make economic sense to go to far down the rabbit hole of possible repair options.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:

So you're saying you have nice legs, Josh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:

So you're saying you have nice legs, Josh?

When I’m working in shorts instead of jeans I charge an extra $10 per hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:06 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[quoteI should mention too, that the P-Bass neck in question is a Mexican made neck. It's got loads of "mojo" and is super comfortable, but as it seems clear to everyone here, may not make economic sense to go to far down the rabbit hole of possible repair options.[/quote]

If Fumblefinger was reading this, he would remind us that many of the Mexican Fenders (especially the early stuff) has become quite desirable to collectors and certain players. It's not forgettable junk by any means.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:45 am)