Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Got a free broken guitar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: ETC
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a novice guitarist. I'm looking for a luthier in MA, NYC, CT or RI to potentially fix a broken guitar I got from my sibling.

I think maybe the nut broke at some point, because it seems like it's got super glue on it. The bridge is split and someone definitely tried to fix it with superglue there. It didn't work. It's got some other dings, but it should be playable with the nut & bridge repaired. here's the nut & bridge, I was able to remove the end of a string and the bridge pin after it snapped off and got stuck

Can you give me a rough estimate of how much you think it would cost to repair? In your opinion, is it even worth putting money into it if it was free and originally worth ~$450? Is this something I could repair at home? I have very little experience woodworking & I'm not a luthier, but I have an overconfident dad who thinks he can fix it himself after watching some youtube videos.

Thank you so much for any help or advice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:40 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
I can’t advise on the prices for repair work where you live, I’m in a different country.

If someone brought this guitar into my workshop I’d advise them that they could find an excellent condition used example of the same model for less than it would cost to have me repair this broken one.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:40 pm) • gargouilles (Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:06 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:08 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Yeaux
Last Name: Maumma
Focus: Repair
Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but it looks like the bridge has broken and been glued? Maybe from a high saddle pressing on the front of the bridge?! It also looks as if the saddle area has been routed for a diff saddle or??? This could get expensive for a free guitar, but it’s all do-able. Just up to you. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Lou Thier for the post: gargouilles (Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:58 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:21 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Yeaux
Last Name: Maumma
To fabricate a custom bridge (including slotting for the saddle and pickup) remove old bridge and install new one- I’d say $275-350 including setup plus New nut- 50 plus material and strings- $75ish.

These users thanked the author Lou Thier for the post: gargouilles (Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:58 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:17 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Lou Thier wrote:
Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but it looks like the bridge has broken and been glued? Maybe from a high saddle pressing on the front of the bridge?! It also looks as if the saddle area has been routed for a diff saddle or??? This could get expensive for a free guitar, but it’s all do-able. Just up to you. Good luck

I'm totally speculating here because I certainly don't know much about guitars and I wasn't paying much attention to them until pretty recently, but from what I've gathered, I think the version of the guitar I have is an early model—newer models have a differently shaped bridge. I suspect that I'm not the only one who had the saddle split, thus they changed the bridge. That's just my guess, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:51 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

You also have to consider that the bridge plate (located under the bridge, glued to the soundboard) is probably shot (looking at the string that is stuck in there). Add another $100 to your estimate.

These users thanked the author FlyingFred for the post: Hesh (Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:49 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

FlyingFred wrote:
You also have to consider that the bridge plate (located under the bridge, glued to the soundboard) is probably shot (looking at the string that is stuck in there). Add another $100 to your estimate.

I was able to reach inside the soundhole and push the bridge pin & string out. the bridge is still split, but none of the strings or bridge pins are stuck anymore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:11 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Did you put a mirror in the instrument to be able to see if the bridge plate is split between the string holes? That is what I meant with my previous comment…

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
gargouilles,
Unfortunately this is a cheap guitar and not something you would want to put much money into.

This is the type of guitar I would take in and repair in my spare time just to give it away to someone who isn't fortunate enough to buy one. I have been doing this kind of thing for years when ever I come across a free guitar. But to charge someone to fix it is not anything I (or many other luthiers) would even consider.

This is just not a job that most pro luthiers would want to touch since you would be spending more on it that the guitar is even worth.

On a different note, If you have any interest in repairing guitars this would be a great candidate to start with. You wouldn't have to put much into it except time. A great way to learn and its how I got my start.

Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: Lou Thier (Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:44 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I suggest that you let your overconfident Dad have a go at fixing it. He might impress and surprise you with the result, and then you will both be happy. If he fails you will not really be any worse off.

Post subject: My opinions:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:34 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
If Dad can get the old bridge off without inflicting damage to the rest of the guitar, he's on his way. The broken bridge can be a pattern for someone to make a replacement with a bit more bridge wood in front of the saddle. Then Dad can watch some more videos and install the new bridge. The guitar can then be passed along to a luthier for setup and intonation adjustments. So long as the bridge gets the saddle in the right place, there's hope. Don't ignore the bridge plate inside.