It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:03 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matt
Last Name: D
Focus: Repair
Title is self-explanatory. For me, it would have to be a Grand Prix P-Bass that the customer wanted "to come out as good or better than the Fender Custom Shop." This is one of about 30 instruments I did for him, one of which was almost an identical job to this one.

He got it at a pawn shop. Lefty, black finish, some weird custom painted pickguard that was bubbling up and cracking all over and had not been done well in the first place, crappy bridge, crappy neck, the works.

What he wanted:

1) New bridge installation
2) New neck installation, new tuner installation, nitro finish sprayed on the back and headstock, hand cut bone nut
3) Strip the body and refinish in stark white nitro -- no clearcoat so it won't yellow over time.
4) Install Lace Sensor P-Bass Pickups
5) Rout for a Lace Sensor Stingray pickup in the bridge position
6) Custom wiring
7) Setup with lowest possible action, level + recrown + polish frets
**8) Keep the original pickguard. This was not possible with the new neck and the new pickups, which the original pickguard didn't even remotely fit. And this is the craziest part: I ended up designing and cutting a new pickguard completely by hand to perfectly fit the neck and the pickups, then redesigning the artwork and painting it to be an improved, professional version of the original.

I hand made some routing templates for the P-Bass pickups and the Stingray pickup, and further took it upon myself to airbrush it not only as close to the original as possible, but to improve the artistic design.

To get the pickguard to fit the new neck, I used epoxy wood putty and wax paper. I put the wax paper over the end of the neck before mounting it on the body, then stuck the plywood pickguard template I'd made against it -- with epoxy putty smushed between the template and the end of the neck. The epoxy wood putty hardened on the plywood template, I carefully removed it, then made a *new* template with a neck pocket cutout that fit the new neck perfectly.

Once the shape was done, I hand-cut several stencils out of mylar film using an Xacto knife, protractor, straightedge and French curves. I carefully observed the original pattern, drew it out, then improved upon it and added a couple of my own touches to the pattern to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Then I airbrushed nitrocellulose over the stencils to color the pickguard. I started by scuffing the pickguard with a scotch brite pad, then put down the base coat of green lacquer, before adding the stencils to airbrush black nitro over the green base nitro.

I mixed the colors myself using Colortone pigments and Colortone dyes in careful ratios. After everything was done, I cleared over it.

The actual process was extremely difficult, and at first I had lacquer drips I had to clean up. I ended up using very dry coats and also using Frog Tape after the stencils to make sure the lines were as crisp as possible. It was quite a process to get everything immaculate, but this guy was the biggest stickler for perfection I've ever met in my career.

This was 5 years ago. I did the last one for him a year ago. It was similar to this job. I'll share a quick before and after pic of that one in my next post.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:15 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matt
Last Name: D
Sorry for the crappy picture quality -- no idea how to compress or resize without losing a ton of quality.

But this was a similar job: SX Tele Deluxe, candy apple red finish, refinished in white after routing for and installing a Floyd Rose tremolo *and* a new Allparts neck that I routed for a locking nut, installed tuners on, sprayed the back and headstock with nitro, etc. Demanded same very low setup, and I spent a fair amount of time filing down the area under the locking nut until the action at the 1st was absolutely perfect.

Getting that candy apple red finish off nearly killed me. Priming, sanding, spraying and wet sanding/buffing the body was also not a walk in the park, as I don't have a spray booth and I repeatedly had to deal with gnats, the tiniest black flecks, dust, and other anomalies landing on the body immediately after spraying -- countless times. Never again. I'm actually not offering any finish work at all anymore and these two jobs are probably most of the reason why.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Crisp work man.

This is from a few weeks ago. Dunno how crazy a job it was but the guy who built this thing and elected to use (cheapo) slot head guitar tuners instead of conventional harp keys pretty much drove me crazy tying on 36 nylon monofilaments with a pair of needle nose pliers in each hand …

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): slightreturn (Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:53 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:26 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
YE GODS.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): slightreturn (Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:54 pm) • joshnothing (Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Posted This Several Yrs back.... Have yet to do anything Crazier idunno laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... er#p337370

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post (total 2): slightreturn (Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:34 pm) • Chris Pile (Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:18 pm)