All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:24 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Was going though old pics and found some that you guys might be interested in seeing. Dave Collins and I put on a gathering in Ann Arbor at the Black Elks Lodge in 2008. OLFers attended from several continents including down under so the turn out was great.

And of course we held it at a place with a liquor license which always helps attendance with this group too... :). And weed was always legal for the past 40 years in Ann Arbor so lots of folks came... :)

Lots of pics so I'll post them and put notes on each pic.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:45 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 am 

More pics:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:39 am 

More pics.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:46 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:10 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Wow! Any more info on the behemoth Andy Birko is holding? Impressive.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:46 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Hard to believe that was 14 years ago. I still remember how nice that Mario Proulx guitar was. You guys did a great job putting that event together.

These users thanked the author joe white for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:47 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joe white wrote:
Hard to believe that was 14 years ago. I still remember how nice that Mario Proulx guitar was. You guys did a great job putting that event together.
What did you like about the MP?

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:49 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:47 am 

joshnothing wrote:
Wow! Any more info on the behemoth Andy Birko is holding? Impressive.

That's a bandora and I think Andy built that one. He's a sponsor here so he may weigh-in although he's been busy his wife and boy are Ukrainian.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:37 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:48 am 

joe white wrote:

Hey Buddy and thanks!! Yeah Mario's guitar was incredible and a burst too which I would not have expected from him but my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:58 am 

Pmaj7 wrote:
joe white wrote:
What did you like about the MP?

Pat

In short everything! It was and is what a small builder, Luthier made instrument should be which is in my view superior to commercial, factory instruments in nearly all respects. The value of hand made or Luthier made should be higher standards than even Martin in my view and that is not all that difficult to do either for someone with some talent.

The workmanship was superb, fit and finish excellent, it was also light and responsive and had a fast neck with great fret work and it played like butter.

You would be surprised how most of what we see from small builders is not up to speed in major ways. So much so that we often will not work on small builder stuff and turn it away.

Mario clearly wanted to build top shelf guitars and that what he brought to the event. Expectations were very high with this group and there was a lot of unspoken competition too.

The best way to judge where the bar is in my view is to attend Healsburg not as an exhibitor but as an attendee and meet the builders and check out their stuff. That's what I did and I found the bar lower than I thought it was as a result and then and only then did I feel comfortable selling my own stuff.

Anyway Mario back then (and now too I'm sure) had something like a five year waiting list his stuff was so very coveted.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:28 pm) • joshnothing (Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:38 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

Pat, from my perspective Mario's guitar was very responsive. In other words it seemed to take very little effort on my part to make music with it. Fit and finish were no doubt spot on but the thing that stuck with me was how easily playable the guitar was and also how darned responsive it was.

These users thanked the author joe white for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:29 pm) • Hesh (Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:39 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback on Mario's guitar. That's awesome that he impressed a bunch of luthiers! Interesting commentary on going to Healdsburg Hesh, thx.

Also interesting perspective about working on luthier made guitars! LOL I have experienced the same thing on most luthier built guitars that I have come across that are not well known. I'm evaluating it, pause, and then "What the wha?!"
Pat