PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Different strokes, etc. If you need a tool - buy it. I don't.... yet, but that day may arrive whether I like it or not.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Long story short is that everyone who has "eyeball" skills got there with lots of practice and more than one messed up item tossed in the trash. It used to be that this was the only way to get to the point that you were competent to work on a guitar. And kudos to those who had the patience to endure the frustration of the learning process to achieve that level of skill. Items like the sanding tool, the SM nut slot guard, and others, allow one to produce good work without a lengthy learning curve. And possibly reduce the time involved in a given job. Is this bad? Maybe. Maybe not. Everyone will have an opinion.

These users thanked the author fumblefinger for the post (total 2): Hesh (Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 am) • Chris Pile (Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:41 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
fumblefinger wrote:
Long story short is that everyone who has "eyeball" skills got there with lots of practice and more than one messed up item tossed in the trash. It used to be that this was the only way to get to the point that you were competent to work on a guitar. And kudos to those who had the patience to endure the frustration of the learning process to achieve that level of skill. Items like the sanding tool, the SM nut slot guard, and others, allow one to produce good work without a lengthy learning curve. And possibly reduce the time involved in a given job. Is this bad? Maybe. Maybe not. Everyone will have an opinion.

Allan you're right and even those of us who do it freehand may screw up and have to remake a saddle so this is a good idea. Good thinking. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build

The most useful thing about this Stewmac tuner jig is that it arrived with all faces very nicely squared to each other. I’ve never used it to drill for tuners. It makes a great 90-degree fence for squaring the bottom of saddles to the side. Hold the face of the saddle against the block and rub back and forth.

The substrate is one corner of my tablesaw table that I discovered was pretty flat in all directions, flat enough that I was able to scrape down one or two high spots and end up with a 12” x 12” area that’s flat within a thousandth or two - good enough for saddles.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm)