All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fitting brace ends
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Fitting brace ends into the linings early on, I could take as long as a day to fit things using a chisel to scallop and get a good fit (if I did get a good fit everywhere)
Came up with this for the last 5/6 guitars, got good fits quickly, and thought it might suggest it to help someone else.
Put the plate upside down on it's radius dish, place the rims on top and mark the brace end positions at the sides of the brace and on the brace where the it intersects with the kerf. Make a saw cut each side (to stop chip out) and Dremel (I use a 2mm bit) out the waste to whatever depth you want , say 3.00 mm.
Attachment:
DSCN0073.JPG

I pre-shape the scallops on a big belt sander with a "thing" I made to thickness headstocks, and leave the brace end slightly high (about 0.2/0.3 mm)
Trim the brace ends to length (a kerf width beyond the mark), and use an U shaped MDF spacer with a sanding block upside down on top of it and sand the brace end to height, keeping the spacer and the sanding block together as you sand so as to not reduce the height of the spacer.
Attachment:
DSCN0074.JPG

To check the fit I use a "feeler gauge" from aluminium foil, shows 0.5thou, actually 0.6 thou with a micrometer.
Attachment:
DSCN0075.JPG

Place the "feeler gauge" between the rim and the plate just alongside the brace and press the plate down with a finger just to that side of the brace (brace position marked in chalk)
Feeler gauge should be trapped.
Repeat on other side of the brace.
Attachment:
DSCN0078.JPG

If I have a problem with fitting anywhere say it's tight or doesn't quite go down, chalk the brace end area, attempt a fit, and the chalk marks will transfer, showing where anything needs attention.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 3): Kbore (Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:03 pm) • Hesh (Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:45 am) • runamuck (Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 pm)

Post subject: Re: Fitting brace ends
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin,
I do it the same way using little block like you show. It really helps not having all the brace ends different.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Kbore (Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:08 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Jim Watts wrote:
Colin,
I do it the same way using little block like you show. It really helps not having all the brace ends different.

Didn't think I'd be the only one doing it this way, just I've not seen a tute/video anywhere showing this, apart from the "chisel and fit the brace ends" type.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I use a small strip of paper in the place of your feeler gauge. I test it on each side of the brace and under the brace, to make sure that it traps the paper in all 3 locations. This helps me avoid getting the slot too deep, which would defeat the purpose of tucking. I also use a small strip of 80 grit sand paper, the width of the slot, to floss the brace down the last few thou.

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post: Kbore (Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:09 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
That's a great tip about keeping the sanding block on top of the spacer. It is so obvious, yet something I never thought of!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.