Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
I know this was somewhat covered (as is almost everything) before. I am thinking of getting a compressor. This would be used mostly for vacuum clamp system(s), inlay grinder tool from John Hall, some smaller tools like ros, etc. Probably not use it for finishing now so that isn't a concern. What is smallest size should get. Oil vs non oil, specs like that. I do not have a big space right now so not interested in expensive, big unit.

Post subject: Re: compressor
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

Vacuum clamping, pressing, etc. takes more air that you would think. My compressor is 5 hp, 60 gal tank, with an additional 60 gal extension tank and it runs every 10-15 minutes when I'm using it on full vac (25 in Hg) to clamp braces, etc. with the venturi vac system that LMI sells.
If you don't need to spray finish then get a small pancake or similar unit for general shop air and then hit eBay for a dedicated vacuum pump.
I just picked up a 1/3 hp Gast brand unit for $95.00 that will pull 26 in Hg all day. BTW Gast is the gold standard when it comes to vac pumps.
If you need to extend the storage capacity of your air compressor (or vac pump) Roll Air makes a cute little 17 gal extension tank. With one of these you can spray finish with a small gun with out problems if you use a good filter/water trap.
-C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hell of a good deal on the Gast. Given a choice is it better to buy the Grizzly venturi that draws 3.2 cfm @ 85psi or the LMI one that draws 2 cfm @8psi. My compressor puts out 4.2 @ 90psi?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Thanks guys.

I have the LMI pump. It is ok and does the job. I want to add frames so can do 3 or 4 at a time if I can. Just want to go air rather than ac only. I do about 15 instruments a year.

Will probably do more now that going to do some electrics, dulcimers and basic repair as a shop. At this point don't get into repair or restoration of valuable insturments, I will call on or recommend David Collins or Bryan Galloup shops for those things for now. I do however buy project guitars and using those to learn and then give away. So want something big enough to do the job for about $300.

I have access to a great finish booth and have a Wagner 3 stage if do something at home, so again the spray aspect isn't in anyway a concern for now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kenneth
Last Name: Casper
City: Northville
State: MI
Hi Stan,

I have the same Enco air grinder. I initially was using it with a Porter Cable pancake compressor, but that compressor just couldn't keep up. I ended up getting a 24 gallon, 2 HP Ingersol Rand compressor. I also wanted to get one big enough to run HVLP spray equipment. This unit has worked wonderfully. I should have upgraded years ago. It isn't very noisy and is on wheels, sort of like a hand truck. Last winter I moved it into my basement when I was doing the inlay work on my OMC. I probably do the same this winter as well.

Ken