Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Walrus Tusks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:59 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Grandfalls
State: Newfoundland
Focus: Build
A friend of mine offered me some Walrus Tusks to use for saddles and nuts on my guitars...They will have to be sawn to the right sizes...Has any one used walrus tusks?...Is it worth fooling with compared to ordinary bone? What would be the best way to saw it?...Larry

Post subject: Re: Walrus Tusks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

Walrus is a CITES Appendix animal. Technically, you should have proper certification.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Stanwood
City: Yarmouth
State: Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Larry,

Well I am not entirely sure it would be the same but I have used fossilized walrus ivory before and thought that there was quite a bit of improvement over just the bone ( all subjective of course). I found it to be much brighter and seemed to bring out overtones a bit better.

other than that I am no help! but hopefully someone has fooled around with the stuff more and can give you some answers [:Y:]

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

Be sure that your friend is offering you legal tusk material. All of the fossilized stuff that
I've used is recovered from many years of laying among the stones and vegetation of the
tundra where it is collected.

I've used both walrus and elephant tusk pieces for saddles, nuts, pins and inlay a lot, but
it has always been certified legal or from estate pieces that had been in a family collection
for generations.

Get certification when you get the material.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lars
Last Name: Stahl
City: Stockholm
Iv´e heard that lots of the certified stuff is in a way illegal to ! as its only been changing hands in the right way to become "legal" "elefant" from africa etc. ? question is if its ok to use at all. If this is the case that is ! ?

Lars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:16 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
This quarter's Fret Board Journal has a great article on CITES and it also indicates that obtaining certification can be an absolute nightmare........ After reading the article there are lots of alternatives that seem much more attractive now.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Grandfalls
State: Newfoundland
Thanks for the info guys...The tusks come from the Grand Banks of Newfoundland...The Captain of a deep sea Scallop Dragger gets one every now and then in the nets....Some are very old and not of much use....The couple of pieces that I will be getting (i am told) looks to be solid....Gonna give it a try on my next build after Christmas....I'll post some pics when its done...Larry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've used them before and they sure do add to the tone.They make great picks as well. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:36 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I buy my FWI in Anchorage from Alaska Fur Exchange located directly across the street from the US Wildlife Services. When I buy it I get a receipt that is stamped saying "THIS MATERIAL IS FROM FEE SIMPLE PRIVATE LANDS IN ALASKA. NO ANTIQUITY LAWS APPLY." I save all my receipts.

I make pins and find it hard to get material that has enough enamel/too much core for saddles. As nut and saddle material I find it very bright and powerful .To some some customers too much, some really like it.

Mike Fleck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Antiquity Laws are separate from CITES. I think Canada requested walrus to be added to CITES. It's on Appendix III which is the least "restrictive".

CITES does apply to crossing international borders, but not transport within a country. Theoretically, some contries would confiscate a guitar with BRW or elephant ivory with no CITES. The CITES certification would need to stay with the manufacured item.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Last Name: French
City: Houston
State: TX
Larry Drover wrote:
A friend of mine offered me some Walrus Tusks to use for saddles and nuts on my guitars...They will have to be sawn to the right sizes...Has any one used walrus tusks?...Is it worth fooling with compared to ordinary bone? What would be the best way to saw it?...Larry

I'm floored that instead of getting an answer to your question, you've gotten nothing but people worried about how "legal" it is.

I don't have much to add, having not cut this kind of material myself (aside from the stuff sold by various suppliers as folssilized ivory.). But I'd say to try it and compare it with bone yourself.

Unless you're selling it by the ton, I wouldn't be too worried about CITES (despite how fashionable it is around here).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

If we are talking Fossilized Walrus Ivory, you need to know that cutting the FWI is some what tricky. Heat will cause it to distort and sometimes crack. Using water or other coolants can be adsorbed causing discoloration and shape distortion. Slice it thicker than you think you need then hand sand to final thickness. The lest heat you cause the better.

I can be wrong here but I do not believe CITIES covers fossilized Walrus ivory but rather harvested walrus ivory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:52 am 
Koa
Koa

Fossilized shouldn't be a concern.I think they are more concerned about living walrus only.