All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Kalamazoo KG11 or KG14?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi all,

I have an old, probably mid to late 30's Kalamazoo in the shop that I have just finished repair work on. It had about 24" worth of cracks in the top, needed a new bridge, neck reset, fingerboard flattening and refret. The owner said it was a KG-14. From what I have dug up, a KG 14 was the same size as an L-00. This particular guitar is shorter than an L-00. I also noticed that a KG-14's fingerboard stops short of the soundhole, and the KG-11's fingerboard encroaches the soundhole, slightly covering the edge of it, at least in the couple of pics I have seen. I believe it is a Kg-11 and not a 14 for those 2 reasons. Does that sound correct, or am I missing something? idunno It's ladder braced, appears to have stained mahogany back and sides, old spruce top (looks like adi) and no truss rod. The finish appears to have been removed from the top and I suspect it was sunburst, and has a firestripe pickguard. KG-11 you think?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kirby
State: Wa. ... Devoted (Inspired?) hack
http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/KG-14/index.html

"Sippin Loch Dhu @Black lake" ,Kirby O...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

That happens to be the page I was viewing regarding it. The owner of the guitar sent that link to me regarding his KG-14 and I noticed the fingerboard at the soundhole. I had also put it next to a L-00 size I am building, and it was shorter than the L-00 size and I realized that his guitar may not be what he thought it was. :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Focus: Build
Brad,
I recommmend you post this query at UMGF.com. There are a few people over there who are absolute experts in Kalamazoos and I suspect you will receive a definitive identification. Pictures of the guitar in question will surely be requested, so you'll need to take a photo or two. If you are not a UMGF member (and don't feel like joining another forum) I'd be happy to act on your behalf. Just let me know.
Best,
George :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks, George, I may do that. My wife is out of town with the camera right now but I will get some pics when she gets back. I talked with the owner and he said that he read somewhere that the KG14 had a smaller body at one time than the L-00. He swears it's a 14. I am just curious, as I don't know too much about them, other than they were Gibson's cheaper guitar, and Robert Johnson apparently played one judging from the 2 known pictures of him.