Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
How do you guys get the bits and pieces? For the next couple I need:

Blocks. I used to get them for violins from the wedges. Guitar blocks can be quite tall. Do you put the grain horizontal? Make up a composite? I made a 3 piece for the last upper block that was easy.

Stock for rosettes/purfling/binding. With violins you just buy b/w/b and it is simple. I've decided to just make whatever colors I want, just using real wood colors. But how do you get the stock. I could buy different colored purfling and binding stock, or thin stock, 1/8" or so, and cut it to width. Make a tool to trim the width even. Veneer sheets seem expensive, but you can get a set width. But then you might want different widths, so more sheets to stock.

The binding in a one piece length seems like a lot of bother. You don't make one piece sides. Getting rid of the length constraint makes binding easier to just find.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

I planed down my workbench yesterday. Glue was drying. The bench was stained with mostly Padauk, and some Wenge. It always amazes me how it can get so nicked up. I put a coat of shellac on it because I had some mixed up for a while now. Never did that before. Maybe it will keep it cleaner?

I watched this video last night. Nice sound. 1886 Torres. It does have a loose high E tuner. Is that the sort of thing that someone could braze, weld, soldier up the bushings, and gears, and machine to spec to preserve the set? It is a shame when parts are just thrown away instead of fixed.

Capriccio Diabolico. I guess.

https://youtu.be/xXw3dHTT9NY?si=S2BPVm4t2Fexv5xU

Attachment:
IMG_1562.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
What a player and what a guitar!
Nice bench!

For colored strips I cut my own from dyed sheets from https://www.dyed-veneer.com/default.asp
For different widths, I eyeball it with a straightedge with 220 grit glued to the bottom, which minimizes tears, and an Xacto knife on a a sel-healing cutting mat. Gets me the cleanest cuts so far.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Ken Nagy (Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:30 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
Ken Nagy wrote:
Stock for rosettes/purfling/binding. With violins you just buy b/w/b and it is simple. I've decided to just make whatever colors I want, just using real wood colors. But how do you get the stock. I could buy different colored purfling and binding stock, or thin stock, 1/8" or so, and cut it to width. Make a tool to trim the width even. Veneer sheets seem expensive, but you can get a set width. But then you might want different widths, so more sheets to stock.

Ken,
I make my own. I built a mini table saw using my Dremel and an attachment that they make which is a little saw. I had to modify it by cutting off the plastic shroud they had around the blade, but it was pretty simple to build.

I just use standard size wood as long as the grain is straight and rip it (on my big table saw) into strips that end up 3/4" x 1/8th

I then run it through this little saw to rip it into strips.

When I am finished ripping the pieces I then use a scraper to get it to final thickness for perfling strips.

The nice thing is that I can just remove my dremel for other things and just attach it to this saw when I need it.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
Bob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post (total 4): Kbore (Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:39 pm) • Pmaj7 (Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 pm) • Clay S. (Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:10 pm) • Ken Nagy (Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
For wood binding, I run stock through my table saw set to the correct thickness.
I have an expensive Freud blade that leaves a very good surface. I think the blade is called “glue joint” or something.
For the width, I run it through a small bandsaw with a fine tooth blade and a fence.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I just love to see a home made precision jig that does the job exactly right. Thanks for sharing that Bob.