It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Bracing Critique, Please
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 pm 
Koa
Koa

I wonder if y'all wouldn't mind critiquing my bracing. Top is sitka. It was a pretty stiff piece, so I have taken it down to about .100. This guitar has flying buttresses, ala Rick and others, so I have made the utb much smaller than usual. Also, please note: I know it's very rough at this stage. I haven't cleaned 'er up yet. I also know that I haven't put the x brace cap on yet.

I feel like the bracing is getting pretty low, but the top still feels and sounds a bit stiff. Comments, please! Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh." The Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Mike buddy what size guitar is this for?

Here is my take:

1) I would reduce the height of the X intersection to 1/2" and cap.

2) From the X intersection forward on the upper X legs I would lower the hump into a more straight transition.

3) It looks like your upper X legs are not going to be inlet? I would inlet them.

4) Where the scallops start on the lower X legs I would smooth off the peaks a couple inches from the X intersection.

5) I would also endeavor to remove as much material as I could in an effort to make all the braces triangle profiles including as close to the X as possible.

This stuff is hard to do with out tapping the top. In short, if I can tap under a brace and it does not ring I remove mass from the side of the brace until I have a triangle shape. If it still does not ring when tapped there I reduce the brace height.

Nice looking work though Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

Looks fine, but I'd cut the finger braces down to a fraction of the height they're at right now. Also, I'd like to see the transition from the X brace joint to the scallop to be softer, less abrupt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

I don't have useful bracing information for you, but that looks beautiful. I wish I worked as cleanly.

I can repeat what Hesh said. Before my bracing passed inspection, I had to take out far more of the wood than I could believe. Both lower and narrower.

Miek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback.

Hesh, it's an OM-ish size. I am not going to inlet any of the braces on this one, except maybe the UTB to keep everything aligned. Too late to inlet the x!

Mario, thanks for the response; I was hoping you'd chime in. I've certainly studied the pictures of your bracing on your website.

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh." The Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:50 am 
Koa
Koa

I agree with Hesh and Mario for the most part. Here's what I would do. The points on the braces seem high. In my experience, they look great but can create an uneven response. Also the points of the x-braces and the tonebars are a little close to the edge of the top and that can inhibit the bass response. If they are moved away they can help free the top to vibrate more openly. What you have would probably work for someone with a medium to hard attack, but since I can't tap it I don't know for sure. Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Mike,

Looks like Ken drew th exact lines I drew on your top bracing last night in class. However, I had the advantage of actually being able to hear the top when tapped. Ken's advice is good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:23 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I agree - nice job Ken!! [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am 
Koa
Koa

Robbie O'Brien wrote:
Mike,

Looks like Ken drew th exact lines I drew on your top bracing last night in class. However, I had the advantage of actually being able to hear the top when tapped. Ken's advice is good.

Indeed.

Ken, I do in fact also have a medium to hard attack, and this guitar is for me.

Thanks again, everyone. I feel much better about taking more off now. Then I can get to work on the guitar laughing6-hehe Sorry, had to try one of the new guys.