It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Fretting "Epoxy Style"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am about to attempt an epoxy fretting process(see attached link) and am wondering if any forum members have tried as well?? My fret slots are already cut wider for it so it's so there's no turning back now. wow7-eyes

http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/l ... tting.html

Thanks,

Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ray,

I just spent some time checking out your site. I appreciate your documentaion. I learned a few things along the way! I'd love to see more! Some of that ought to be posted here, or at least post updates on the site here to the OLF. I appreciate your work. Thanks for posting.

Are you in PA?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Terry,

Unfortunately, this is not my site! I found it while searching for a way to glue in my frets and was trying to see if any other members had tried this process.

It is a very insteresting tutorial non the less.

Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

Your frets should always be glued in whether using this method or a tight fitting slot to
tang method and hammer or press to install them.

I press my frets in an still glue them with LMI's white glue. I've never understood the desire
to use this loose slot/epoxy method since it's so much more work than a conventional method.
What led you to choose it over the much cleaner, quicker and easier methods that are used?

There have been lots of guitars, both custom and production, that have come across my
repair benches for loose frets or ends popping up to have them either replaced or glued back
down.

I've had four guitars from one young builder who has become bery popular in the past four
years come to me with as many as five or six loose frets or lifted ends....and none of them
were more than two years old. One was only a week old when it came to me with three or four
frets lifted at one one end, the other or both. I finally gave him a call to discuss his fretting
technique.

He's now gluing his frets down and using a slot that's .003" smaller.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:19 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Ray in addition to what Kevin said Mario uses HHG not only as a glue but as a lubricant to help the frets seat completely. He also presses the frets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
Ray in addition to what Kevin said Mario uses HHG not only as a glue but as a lubricant to help the frets seat completely. He also presses the frets.

I believe it's the Franklin Liquid Hide Glue that Mario uses for frets ...not HHG.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Focus: Build
Why do you have to glue in the frets? Couldn't you just hammer or press them in and then knock them side-ways to set the barbs?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:47 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Thanks JJ for the correction.

Chuck some builders don't glue in the frets but Kevin gives some good reasons why you want to glue them. I believe that David Collins will have something to say here too.

I have done it both ways but these days I am gluing them because some of the pros that I know recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That epoxy fretting pictorial looks to be straight out of the Don Teeter school of fretting. It was a big trend in the 70's and 80's, but fell out of favor before long due to it's distinct effect on tone. There are some who still prefer it (I believe all of Geoff Stelling's banjos are still epoxy fretted), but it's certainly less popular with guitars.

It's not difficult at all though. That pictorial has about all the key points that are the norm. There may be some differences in how people wax, scrape, or mask the board, but that method will work fine. It does secure the frets well, allows for consistent installation, and actually ends up with a very nice appearance as the epoxy neatly fills and smoothes out any rolled bottom corner of the bead on the fret.

As to gluing for conventional fret work, I'm with Kevin that it is a necessity rather than an option. Water based glues are great, as even if they don't bond ideally with metals, they can swell the wood around the barbs and harden it in that position. I honestly don't know the bonding properties of PVA's with metals, but hide glue and especially fish glue are exceptional at bonding metal to wood (not gap filling however, as is needed in your case). On refrets or in seating loose ends, low viscosity CA is wonderful, as it wicks in to a tight joint, bonds to wood and metal, dries hard, has moderately good gap filling properties, and is easily reversible with heat.

For your case where the slots are already widened, the link you gave is a fine guide. When refretting old epoxy fret jobs, I personally add crimping of the tang to the procedure. Though I still glue them in with epoxy, I feel adding at least some compression to the board and more solid metal-to-wood contact can help recover some of the tones lost in conventional epoxy fretting. I haven't redone enough of these epoxy fret jobs to say that with certainty, but I feel it's at least a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks for all the great response guys...Very much appreciated!

I am not sure who said it but "necessity is the mother of invention" really rings true in this case. The board in question is an incredible landscape ziricote piece from Steve at Colonial that I wish I didn't have to put frets on at all. ;) However, with the oops on the fret slots I really have no choice on process thus the "epoxy method!"
I have spoken directly with a few guys around the US who use this process and they are quite pleased with their results. I also asked about future refrets and they said a soldering gun makes short work of the old glue and they simply dremel out the old excess glue.

And hey at the end of the day I'm a beginner and will now have the opportunity to try something new. [:Y:]

Again, thanks for the insight and thoughts,

Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:43 am 
Koa
Koa

Ray,
Be sure to let us know how the fret job comes out. I love a great piece of Zircote.
It really is a shame to have to break it up with frets isn't it?

I'm sure it will look great when you're done.

All the best,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars