Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So here is number 4. Top is Sitka that I picked up at a local hardwood store, sold as "Aero Grade Spruce". The Curly Cherry back and quarter sawn for the neck are from the same supplier. Now it gets interesting. The sides, or shall I say side, is one piece 3/8" thick. It was sourced from a place called Fluted Beams and is processed to be bent cold. Look up their site and check out "Compwood" as the whole story is quite interesting. The binding, bridge, fretboard and head plate are Jatoba from a big pile of left over flooring.
It looks like a Dread but it's a bit smaller. The CompWood shrinks as it dries so this is about the same size as an OM. And because of a slight mishap in the shop, it is 3 1/8" at the neck and 4 1/4" at the tail. So now I'll shut up and show the pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Focus: Build
Hey Steve! Looks really lovely. You are sure cranking out the guitars man. How does she sound?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Good Mornig Steve, Shouldn't we both be at work instead of playing on guitar forums?

This thing is loud. Joe played it about a month ago when it was first strung up. Maybe he'll chime in with an assesment. Since my ability to play guitar is slightly above my ability to give birth, getting this broken in has been simplified by placing it in front of the stereo speakers and letting it rock and roll all day for a week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey guys...get to work!

Steve W...sorry I missed your call this weekend. I was out of town. Let me know if you still need the SM slotting system.

This is a very unique guitar. As Steve mentioned, its was an unconventional build. The sides are really just one long side that was bent cold. If I remember correctly, the side thickness is 1/4"-3/8" thick once shrunk. This provides very stiff sides...but also adds some wieght to the guitar. I played 3 or 4 of Steve's guitar last we met, so they are all starting to blend in my mind. I seem to recall this one having nice mids and top end but not as full on the bottom. I was comparing this to a Redwood top Dread he also made. The Redwood dread is a great sounding guitar that I think all his others should be compared to. So comparing the cherry guitar to that, its not quite as full...IIRC. This could be due to the added weight...?

Steve has really kicked up the level of detail on his guitars. Notice that the truss rod cover not only matches the wood/color...but also is the identical shape to the headstock. He has also mastered the art of the rossette and is currently making a very cool "Hockey" inspired rossette for commisioned guitar. Very cool!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
Hi Steve
I've got to get my hands on this guitar. It looks great - I've always been a fan of Jatoba.

Well done

(I thought I would see a spalted maple guitar by now!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Great looking guitar Steve - congrats!!! [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Well , thank you for the kind words gentlemen.
Six clapping guy's Hesh? You're an easy grader.
I knew John would like this as it's almost as heavy as his OSB guitar. The spalted maple is awaiting a new mold and bending form so I can use as much wood as possible. An 18"x23" box with a 34" scale is in the works for that.
I've heard rumblings of another Chicagoland get together, so maybe this SD (small dread) will get played properly soon.
Joe, no need for the template. I fixed my fret saw miter box. I'm going to have to make one that lasts longer the three boards.