All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: CVT Maple and Cedar Sale
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: BC
Well as I mentioned before I've put together some special pricing on a batch of wood I've been setting to the side for a while.

First I have 150 B&S Sets of Figured Big Leaf Maple. The sets are all 3/16ths+ with the backs being 8 3/4 x 22 (or larger) and the sides 5 x 34 (or larger) If your looking for a larger set just let me know and I'll make sure you get one. A lot of them are 9 1/4. All the sets have show strong/premium figure and have clear, consistent, light color.. No staining whatsoever.

Then I have 350 Western Red Cedar Tops. All cut at 3/16ths and 8 3/4 x 22 (or larger). All of the sets have even, clear coloring and a high, consistent grain count,They all avg in the 15+.

All these sets easily fall into a "premium grade" category. As with any stock this large there is some variation between the sets. Both batches have been selected from much larger stocks. It's literally the top 1% from thousands of sets.

Pricing
These sets will most likely be the last time I'm able to offer them discounted like this for quite a while. If your in the market, its a good time to stock up. I made an offer like this a couple years back and we moved around 250 sets in about 72 hours so don't wait too long.

WRC $55 (reg $75)
Maple $125 (reg $145)
(These are in USD)

Ordering
Because of the potential volume of orders I'm going to ask you follow this procedure.

1)Post your desired # of sets in this thread (this makes sure I don't miss an email and keeps a tally)

2)Email me at jason (at) cv tone wood (dot) com
I'll need your order, first & last name, and shipping address including your area code & phone number

3)Once your order has been recieved I will send you a PayPal Invoice from sales (at) cv tone wood (dot) com including S&H

4)You pay your invoice, I get the confirmation, email you your tracking number, and your sets ship out within 48 hours ( Mon-Fri & maybe Sat if I'm around ;) ) There may be a slight delay as I'm still waiting on a batch of boxes to arrive

My Satisfaction Guarentee

I used to offer a no questions asked replacement/refund but over the years it was abused on a few occasions. I'm not selling these sets privately for tuition any more, I actually have to answer to "the boss" on these orders. So here is my return/refund policy in writing so there is no confusion.

If it turns out your set is defective I will, at my discretion, replace the set or give you a full refund for the cost of the set.
I will need you to email me and let me know what the problem is, then put the set back in the box it came in and ship it back to me. Your replacement/refund will be issued once I recieve the defective set.

The only time I really expect this to come up is if you sand into something I couldn't see. We grade 7000-10000 sets of Cedar a month.. Occasionally I miss something.

If anyone has any doubts about me your more than welcome to ask around.. I've sold thousands of sets online, probably over 1000 just here on the OLF, and I'm sure there are a few people who will vouche for me.

If you have any questions just ask here or pm/email me.
Thanks [:Y:]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Jason -

Welcome to the OLF!

I'll take 2 of the WRC tops, and one of the maple sets.

Thanks!

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:29 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Keene
State: NH
Hi Jason, I'll take 2 WRC tops as well....

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

I didn't really take it into consideration but I've already got an email regarding it..
If you are a lurker or just don't want to post your order here, thats fine by me ;)
I just figured it would give me an extra level of defense against missed emails/orders.

I'm going to be a little tied up tonight/tommorow and I'm fighting a bit of a cold so give me a little time to respond and invoice you. By next week I'll be back online way too much again and responses will be a lot faster.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Jason,

I'll take 3 WRC tops and 1 set of maple B & S.

Do you sell curly big leaf maple neck blanks?

Thanks!

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

As Jason might not be online much over the weekend, I'll help with your question Todd.

They do get neck blanks but not with any regularity. Also I believe they have a rather large back log of people waiting for big leaf curly maple neck blanks so it might be a long time before they get one to you.

Anyway, I hope Jason gets swamped with orders for Cedar and Maple beehive They make a great sounding and looking guitar together, and all the materials on this guitar (back, sides and top) are from CV Tonewood.

Attachment:
maple 002.JPG

Attachment:
maple 003.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

What Rod said.. I just don't get enough of them to keep up with demand.. When I get caught up with orders and have some in I'll definately let everyone know.

And Rod..

NICE WORK ;) Thats is one good lookin guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi - I'd like to get two sets of the maple backs & sides and two sets of the cedar. I'll send an e-mail now following up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: George
Last Name: Thomas
Focus: Build
Hi Jason:

I would like two sets of WR Cedar. Email already sent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

I'll take one B+S and two tops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kenneth
Last Name: Casper
City: Northville
State: MI
Okay, I'm thinking of taking the bait, especially for the maple. I generally see cedar on smaller guitars and maple on larger guitars. Rod True, you mentioned using the two together. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'll take one of each. Will email separately.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:23 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey guys, hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I managed to defeat that cold and still squeeze in a rather crazy Halloween party.

I've invoiced everyone who has posted/emailed me as of 11pm PST Monday Nov 3rd.

Unfortunately my new boxes still haven't arrived.. I was really looking forward to using them. Ah well.

These first sets will ship out the old fashioned way in boxes custom fabricated from Budget Rentals 6sq moving boxes. pfft

Don't worry I'm a master box maker :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lars
Last Name: Stahl
City: Stockholm
Hi Jason, Is there any chance you could post a photo of the maple and cedar. ?

Lars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

I was avoiding posting photos because there is some variation and there are hundreds of sets. I really don't have time to take photos of them all, and we just got a bunch of cedar racks in.

That being said I guess I could try and get some photos up.. I'll try and get some but they wont be up until later in the week or this weekend. I don't think I'll have a chance to get any up before then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi Jason,
if it's not too late, I'd like to order 2 sets of the WRC. I will follow up with and email and payment.
Thanks,
Craig S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:24 am 
Koa
Koa

Just an update.

All the orders have been shipped (as of last monday) and should be arriving this week. I spaced out and submitted all the paperwork to our bookkeeper so the tracking numbers are with her. If anyones package doesn't show up by this coming Monday just email me and I'll go find the tracking numbers.

And for anyone who missed this before, I'll be carrying on until the end of the month.

Thanks guys.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken C wrote:
Okay, I'm thinking of taking the bait, especially for the maple. I generally see cedar on smaller guitars and maple on larger guitars. Rod True, you mentioned using the two together. Thoughts?

Hi Ken, sorry I missed this earlier when you asked.

Well, think of Maple with a cedar top as a nice glass of scotch while sitting by the fireplace on a snowy winter Christmas day. Warm, with just enough zip to keep you intrigued.

Really, it's a wonderful combination of woods. The cedar offers that typical warm, woody sound (not bright, crisp sound of spruce) and the maple just brightens it up a bit. Not over bearing like an all blond can be. Mine is a deep body (4-5/8") OM and I really like it for finger picking (although I really suck at finger picking). It doesn't drive very well, but that's also how I braced it.

Hope that helps a bit.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Rod,

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up buying both a set of maple and a cedar top from Jason. I wasn't sure about the cedar. I love the warmness of the color, but I just don't have any familiarity with the cedar--everything I have played has been spruce.

The wood I got from Jason arrived today. Nice stuff, but the maple back pieces were quite cupped. I am sure Jason didn't send it out that way. I stickered it and put a little weight on it. Hopefully it will slowly flatten out as it acclimatizes. I don't need to use it right now anyway.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 am 
Koa
Koa

There are two things causing the cupping.

1) The humidity here and there is most likely very different. It will cause the cupping to become worse than it should be.

2) Figured maple tends to cup.. LMI even has it posted on their site (or at least used to) It's just the nature of the wood. Our sets are considerably thicker than they will be finished, as you sand the outside of the set off it will release the tension on the set and should flatten out considerably.

A lot of maple is dried in big blocks and sliced. It is one way of avoiding cupping. The downfall of that is maple dried in thick blocks is almost always much darker. By drying our wood thin like we do it sets the color as soon as it goes into the kilns.

Leaving weight on the sets will help as the set stabilizes to your shop/storage area and Bruce Dickey used to have a great write up on dealing with the cupping in maple I just don't know where I would find it.. Anyone?

I'll look in the archives..

*Ok I can't find it.. Maybe Bruce can chime in or someone else who knows where it is? Or if you have a method of your own feel free ;)*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Jason,

Thanks for the note. I wasn't too stressed about the cupping. I was a little surprised to see how much there was, but blamed it on the humidity. I have never worked with figured maple other than veneers. With the wood now stacked and a little weight on it, I agree it should flatten out over the next couple of months. Nice wood. I look forward to working with it.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken, you can also mist it a bit on the convex side which should also counter the cupping. Not too much water though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:04 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
Last Name: Lloyd
City: Toronto
Jason,

You have delivered up some beautiful backs and sides, which will be matched with High Mountain tops.

I can hardly wait to start the builds.

Thanks and very much appreciated.

“I was born to ignorance, yes, and lesser poverties ...
I was born to privilege that I did not see ... I didn’t know it, but my way was paved” – John Gorka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:54 am 
Koa
Koa

Michael Lloyd wrote:
Jason,

You have delivered up some beautiful backs and sides, which will be matched with High Mountain tops.

I can hardly wait to start the builds.

Thanks and very much appreciated.

If your happy I'm happy =)

You guys should see what I'm working on for the New Year.. Save your monies, I've got a whole new game ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

OK, that's it! I'm coming up there for a sneak peak :D