Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
Focus: Build
Hey folks...I've been hanging around for a little while and I wanted to introduce myself a bit more.

My name is Trevor Lewis and I've been working for the past few years at PRS here in Maryland. I intentionally kept a bit of a low profile so as not to cause any confusion between my thoughts & opinions and those of my employer. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have since decided to go back to a more technical line of work with another company. All the same, this has been a great experience for me and I have really become interested in acoustic guitar building (as I'm sure many of you can relate to!) and I enjoy building at home when I can find the time. We have a new baby at home, so time has been a bit tougher to find lately..!

Here at PRS I have done a lot of work in converting hand carved parts (necks as well as carved tops & carved backs) to CAD models and then programming the CNC equipment to cut the parts. In addition, I have also done a good bit of jig design...and recently I have helped out in laying out the plan for the line of PRS acoustics that is forthcoming (these are some really beautiful instruments!). I've also had the opportunity to go up to Martin a couple times....they have a great shop up there! I've been pretty woodshop oriented here and I have a lot to learn still about finish & electronics.

I've worked with some really great artists here and can't say enough about how personal PRS is. In addition to being really passionate about the guitars, Paul is also a really generous guy and it shows in the way he treats those who work with him.

This is a great forum, and I always look forward to checking in. There is some really great work that appears on these pages!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Wow Trevor you have been holding out on us..... :D

Well it sounds like you have some incredible experiences to share when you get around to it. Congrats on the new family member too! [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

Also - any chance of asking Paul if he would drop in and say hello to us - perhaps even pics of a shop tour?????

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
Welcome Trevor !! We will be interested in learning more about the jigs and fixtures you find worthwhile. PRS has long been a favorite and they make some really great instruments.... just ask Carlos Santana.. LOL

Please keep sharing with us, we all have a great deal to learn from each other.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yep, I have been one of those evil f@ctory guys.....

PRS is really into vacuum jigs for CNC work. There is not much that is cut using the CNC that isn't held with vacuum. Other than the CNC stuff, it's a lot of really good sanding, finish, assembly, and marketing. Nothing to it! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hi Trevor,I share your love for prs guitars.I own quite a few old ce and custom models myself.I heard they were bringing out a acoustic which i think is great.I also hope they use some nicely figured wood in them, as i'm sure they will.And i hope they use nitro or a easier finish to touch up on the acoustics as the electrics they have built in the past have been a real bugger in that respect.Can't wait to see the new acoustic guitars. ;) Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

I'm very interested to hear what the group here thinks of the acoustics once they have had a chance to check them out. I think they sound great and the craftsmanship is pretty much what you would expect from PRS. The wood selection isn't too bad either...! Some very talented people are working on them. They will be debuting the acoustics at the NAMM show this year, along with some other new products (including amps)....and...I'll probably just leave it at that...I'm sure Paul and the others will fill in the details through the normal channels.