Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10102&t=4282&p=45597&hilit=aluminum#p45597

Hey Filippo,

Here is one I did a while back. It works great for me. I will add some microadjusting to it and will probably switch to an air micro grinder for the "router" but otherwise this thing works great! It is a little ways down the thread. I am not at home so I can't post the original pictures.

Shane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:12 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I have built a couple and have bought a couple. I like a clear base for inlay routing so I have been using for several years the the LMI SPPMR but I belive they are discontinuing it.

Attachment:
PrecisionMiniRouterBase2SPP.jpg

I have also use in the early years the stewmac base. I actually like the adjustment on it better so I am planing after NAMM to make a replacement base for my SPPRM using the Stewmac adjustment posts and cross beam but on a clear lexan base

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:43 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Filippo Morelli wrote:
Michael Dale Payne wrote:
I have also use in the early years the stewmac base. I actually like the adjustment on it better so I am planing after NAMM to make a replacement base for my SPPRM using the Stewmac adjustment posts and cross beam but on a clear lexan base

Michael,
I was wondering about the StewMac setup - seems trivial to unbolt the lower aluminum and replace with a clear base. The LMI unit looks cute but a bit bulky ... ? Is the form factor what you prefer on the StewMac, or the adjustment mechanism? Or ...?

Thanks,

Filippo

The base on the LMI is 3/8 thick. It is not bulky at all IMO. but is much thicker than the aluminum stewmac base but needs to be being made of Lexan to eliminate flex.

I like the ability to adjust depth in the channel or pretty much on the fly with the Stewmac adjustment. Plus I use a Foredom with the Stewmac custom hand piece and the LMI threads are not perfect 3/4"-12 thread pitch and the stewmac threads are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:53 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Filippo Morelli wrote:
While on this comment, what are you all using to drive your precision base? Dremel? Foredom? Other? I'm not a big dremel fan - my first cordless one wouldn't keep charge (probably should replace batteries, but was like that since new). But of course the cordless setup seems quite adept for the job, rather than having a dangling flex shaft influencing the tool.

Experiences?

Filippo

Actually the flex shaft of the foredom does not influence the tool path at all if you you have the motor on a hanger above your work as you should. In fact when inlay channeling the foredom is much easier to precisely control due to the light weight on the base than a dremel or a laminate trimmer. And you will not find a cordless system with the HP you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

John Hall's air powered die grinder. Million times better than the dremel. Or just look for an Enco mini grinder on eBay or something.