It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Cutting Bridge Pin Slots
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A while back Mario and Sylvan posted that they used a hand held jig saw to cut slots in bridge pin holes for unslotted bridge pins. Frightening thought, but after practicing on an old bridge I gave it a try today. Bosh T101A0 blade. Same as I use to do it by hand. Worked great! Slower speed on the saw and good lighting made it very easy to control. Loud and a little violent so not for those that prefer a quiet peaceful shop but it does work as advertised.
TJK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm sure the jigsaw works, but why take the risk of slotting the bridge with a power tool after it's been installed? (I think this is how it's being done). I slot mine before I install it. Just put it in the SM vise and a few strokes with the jigsaw blade and the bridge is done. I still have to slot the top and bridgeplate after installation, but the spruce top and maple bridgeplate are a lot easier to slot than the bridge, plus the slots in the bridge help guide the saw blade. Works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Jimmy my friend I think that it's one of those things in guitar building that DOES scare the daylights out of some of us, me included, but others have found that it works great.

Another example that comes to mind at least for me is routing the finish off the guitar top prior to bridge installation. We need an emoticon for a cowering builder so I can use it for this one too...... :D

Terence good job on bravely trying and learning something new. [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I like doing the slot after gluing because it's easier for me to make the chamfer and ream the taper on a round hole. I had some issues with chip out around the slot if it was already there. When I heard about the jigsaw from Sylvan and Mario I thought it was nuts but it is very controllable and actually gives a cleaner cut than I get by hand. I think I'll keep doing it.
Terry