Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Neck angle info please
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi

Looking for some info please

I have set the neck angle back a little further than I have previously, this was due to having some really weird problems when try to get rid of gaps when flossing.. The gaps are gone and I've run out of wood to keep aiming for my previous angle

I have followed the kinkead book for angle setting and it says with a ruler on the neck without a fretboard I should have 2-3 mm(0.0787"-0.118") above the bridge, I have 4mm (0.157")

With the fretboard it says 9-10mm and I have 11mm

Will this be a problem later when setting up?

I will probably be making my own bridge if that may help?

Thanks

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
So you're saying that it is only 1mm difference than the book calls for? That would only mean an extra 1mm of saddle height, which in all probability will be ok, provided that you are absolutely certain that you won't bring it back even further during final fit after the finish is on.

Fwiw, during the woodwork construction, I set my neck about 1mm forward of where I want them to end up, then pull them back to the exact angle during final fit, after the finish is on, by flossing the joint. It is very easy to pull the neck back, not so easy to bring it forward...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I don't think you mean 2-3 mm above the bridge but rather above the soundboard where the bridge will be. If you are going to make your own bridge and fretboard then you should be fine. Just adjust the thickness and plane of the fretboard and or bridge and one mm won't mean much at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

meddlingfool wrote:
So you're saying that it is only 1mm difference than the book calls for? That would only mean an extra 1mm of saddle height, which in all probability will be ok, provided that you are absolutely certain that you won't bring it back even further during final fit after the finish is on.

Fwiw, during the woodwork construction, I set my neck about 1mm forward of where I want them to end up, then pull them back to the exact angle during final fit, after the finish is on, by flossing the joint. It is very easy to pull the neck back, not so easy to bring it forward...

Good tip about pulling it back.. had loads of trouble bringing it forward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

jfmckenna wrote:
I don't think you mean 2-3 mm above the bridge but rather above the soundboard where the bridge will be. If you are going to make your own bridge and fretboard then you should be fine. Just adjust the thickness and plane of the fretboard and or bridge and one mm won't mean much at all.

Ok thanks..just wasn't sure as never gone higher before

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Seems like if you either have a 7 mm fret board or it is sloped. Take a mm off or give it a slight slope thicker on the nut end and you can be on target,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

johnparchem wrote:
Seems like if you either have a 7 mm fret board or it is sloped. Take a mm off or give it a slight slope thicker on the nut end and you can be on target,

Thanks.. did think about that but wasn't sure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
Yes, I always fine tune with the thickness of the fretboard as I set things up to error on the high side where I can always whittle the fretboard down. Of course, now I think I have my tooling and process down pretty well, as the last two have been on the money,
Mike

johnparchem wrote:

These users thanked the author Imbler for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This has helped me in flossing to reduce neck angle and in overall fit.

Make a surrogate fretboard of acrylic and slot it for the flossing strips.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:46 pm) • Colin North (Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 am) • Bob Shanklin (Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:51 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Terence Kennedy wrote:
This has helped me in flossing to reduce neck angle and in overall fit.

Thanks terance. . That's a great idea I have got some acrylic somewhere. .
Quick question. . What do you use to cut and shape your acrylic
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:04 am 
Koa
Koa

Quote:

I have always been a proponent of a finger-board simulator for neck angle adjustments, we include one in our KMG "Success Kit Packages" But Terence I have to say your design takes the tool design to a new level -- brilliant! Thank you

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post (total 2): cablepuller1 (Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 am) • Terence Kennedy (Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

cablepuller1 wrote:
What do you use to cut and shape your acrylic
Cheers

I just cut it with the same table saw jigs I use to make a fretboard so it is an exact replica. Band saw for the slots. I use various fretboard surrogate designs for different purposes. Like Ken said they are very helpful.

Make it 1/4" so it is roughly the same thickness as your actual fretboard and drill the centerline for dowel pins to fit in the truss rod slot.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

The other factor to consider is the desired action of the guitar. If you want lower action than typical, the extra 1mm gap at the bridge position will go towards achieving that.

These users thanked the author Woodsy23 for the post: cablepuller1 (Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:30 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have had another look with the fretboard on (no frets) with a straight rule it is landing 2-3 mm over a standard bridge..way to high I think?

My wife pointed out the obvious which I couldn't see.. I said I was running out of wood as 14th fret just past the body..so she says "why don't i just move the fretboard up" (it's not glued on and there's room at the nut) this will give me another go at the angle

Shows women are always right (i didn't tell her that though)

Last edited by cablepuller1 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
cablepuller1 wrote:
I have had another look with the fretboard on (no frets) with a straight rule it is landing 2-3 mm over a standard bridge..way to high I think?

My wife pointed out the obvious which I couldn't see.. I said I was running out of wood as 14th fret just past the body..so she says "why don't i just move the fretboard up" (it's not glued on and there's room at the nut) this will give me another go at the angle

Shows women are always right (it's didn't tell her that though)

And that is how the nut with a 15 deg bottom was invented. laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:45 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

rlrhett wrote:
cablepuller1 wrote:

Shows women are always right (it's didn't tell her that though)

And that is how the nut with a 15 deg bottom was invented. laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Haha yes true