Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Raul
Last Name: Ortiz
Focus: Build
Hello all! Getting ready to French Polish my first build. From what I've researched, most builders prefer Everclear grain alcohol. I can only get their 150 proof here in California. But I can buy this Polish brand that's 192 proof, 96℅ alcohol. Anyone use this before or see any problems using it?
Thanks for any responses!

https://www.hitimewine.net/polmos-192pf ... 750-162588

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
I haven't checked in a while, but Hock was selling some real nifty super high purity alcohol for shellac work... I would use that if I was doing shellac work.

I really don't like the idea of using alcohol with water in it for shellac work if I can help it... Water makes shellac take forever to dry. But I am not really using shellac these days either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
If you can't get Everclear, I can recommend Behkol, the denatured alcohol sold by Behlen's. I hear good things about Klean Strip Green, but I have not personally used it.

If any of California's border states let you buy Everclear, it is worth the road trip to go get some.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Everclear is 195 proof. My guess is the 192 would work. You could try it and if it doesn't then you can throw one hell of a punch party. In Virginia you can't buy it off the shelf but you can get a permit or jsut fill out a form to get it. You might want to check into that in CA. I just get mine when traveling through Georgia which I do at least once a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

A previous post noted that 100% ethanol will rapidly suck up water form the air to reach the azeotrope concentration, which is about what the two mentioned boozes are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:32 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Everclear as the others said and be sure to get the 195% stuff. Some states sell it at about 130 proof which is not as good.... for FP that is.

I can't get it in Michigan but I can across the Indiana state line.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: guitarradTJ (Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hesh wrote:
Everclear as the others said and be sure to get the 195% stuff. Some states sell it at about 130 proof which is not as good.... for FP that is.

I can't get it in Michigan but I can across the Indiana state line.

So after doing some research I found that Everclear comes in 151 and 190 proof. I still can only get the 151 here in CA. The brand I found is 192. I'm not close to Nevada or Arizona where they sell the 190 Everclear. Thinking of giving it a try.... Kind of nerve wracking, am I over thinking this???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'd be interested in knowing what the 195 stuff you found is, Raul. I used 151 Everclear from Bev Mo though and had fine results.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
I use 190 proof Everclear with great results.

Wear gloves or you'll have a mighty hangover.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

James Orr wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing what the 195 stuff you found is, Raul. I used 151 Everclear from Bev Mo though and had fine results.

Here it is, found it at a local spirits store
https://www.hitimewine.net/polmos-192pf ... 750-162588

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Miguel
Last Name: Bernardo
wbergman wrote:
A previous post noted that 100% ethanol will rapidly suck up water form the air to reach the azeotrope concentration, which is about what the two mentioned boozes are.

Correct, for any practical purposes you can't get alcohol to be above 96% (in volume, about 92% in weight iirc). As soon as you open a bottle at room temperature it forms an equilibrium with air mosture. Alcohol is extremely hygroscopic. In fact you can use a bit of alcohol to dry a wet surface, it absorbs the water and both evaporate much more quickly than water alone would. Don't know how 96% translates into US proof though.
I just use regular desnaturared alcohol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Proof = (actual alcohol content) x 2

My guess is that it was a marketing campaign to make certain spirits appear stronger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Green Label Kleen strip, 8$8/qt at the haredware store. Just as good as everclear but you can't drink it......
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip- ... /202249513

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Supposedly the fumes of any of the denatured products are harmful.

These users thanked the author wbergman for the post: guitarradTJ (Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Cavanaugh
City: Saint Paul
State: MN
B. Howard wrote:
Green Label Kleen strip, 8$8/qt at the haredware store. Just as good as everclear but you can't drink it......

I looked up the MSDS on this. It's 80-90% ethanol, less than 5% methanol. I think that's about as safe as any denatured alcohol you're going to find.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

wbergman wrote:

That's why I'm trying to stay away from the denatured stuff. Already work with too many fumes here at work!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The Alcohol we drink is probably more dangerous than any we might use in french polishing! laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
At my fathers wake, years ago, my brother and I started to bring down the two Fanta bottles he brought back from Ireland filled with a clear tea :shock:
My uncle ran over and told us not to drink any of it as it would make us go blind.

I've most likely inhaled lots worse than denatured alcohol in my life. So far it smells lots better than laquer. I use the Kleen strip green from Home Depot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Miguel
Last Name: Bernardo
guitarradTJ wrote:
wbergman wrote:

That's why I'm trying to stay away from the denatured stuff. Already work with too many fumes here at work!

i probably should add that in this part of the world denatured alcohol is 99,75% 96 º alcohol and 0,24% cetrimide. cetrimide doesn´t produce fumes at room temperature and its toxic dose is 3,9 g/kg. So an average adult would need to drink A LOT of alcohol to get any effect. it´s an antiseptic that is used in some cosmetics (such as shampoos) in up to 10% percentages. it+s use in alcohol is due to its bitter taste.

now, methanol - that is nasty stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
B. Howard wrote:

The Green Kleen strip is pretty clean and way cheaper than everclear. It is 80-90% Ethanol and less than 5% methanol. Many of the DA are close to 50-50. Here is the safety data sheet.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/QKGA75003_SDS-1623.pdf

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: dpetrzelka (Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
If at all possible, please use drinkable ethanol. As others have stated, you will need the 190 proof. Methanol is nasty stuff and my personal opinion is to minimize exposure to these type of chemicals. I picked up 4 bottles of Everclear on a trip to GA since Florida doesn't carry it. Another option is to find alcohol denatured with Isopropyl Alcohol which would be much safer but I wouldn't be getting anywhere near Methanol unless you are very well protected. Certainly, not rubbing on a finish with it as a component of the solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
I spent some time this morning looking into the possibility that ingestion of small amounts of methanol, through inhalation and/or skin contact, could cause cumulative harm over the long term. The question has not been investigated in depth, that I could find, so it is not surprising that there is no conclusive evidence either way.

There's plenty of evidence that people who inhaled methanol fumes in poorly ventilated areas (while varnishing beer vats, operating old-fashioned "spirit" duplicators, etc.) experienced health problems. There's also evidence that people (and labratory animals) that inhaled a small amount of methanol fumes in a short period had no measurable ill effects.

Based on what I found, I think it's reasonable to believe you can safely French polish with a solution containing methanol in a well-ventilated area, wearing gloves. It's also reasonable to consider the safety of that somewhat questionable and to spend some extra effort to avoid methanol.

Considering the long history of ill effects being discovered in chemicals previously thought to be more or less safe, I personally am uncomfortable with the idea of breathing methanol fumes hour after hour, guitar after guitar, knowing that in high and medium quantities they are harmful. There are safer alternatives for finishing, including using ethanol. There are a lot of little risks in guitar making, and they can add up. I try to reduce each one as much as is practical, IMHO.

There's a thorough, and to me interesting, review here: http://www.thetruthaboutstuff.com/pdf/(107)%20Kavet%20Methanol%20Vapor%20Toxic%20Dosage%20for%20Man.pdf. The main conclusions are discussed starting around page 43. A Material Safety Data Sheet for methanol is here: http://svmsl.chem.cmu.edu/vmsl/GCMS/methanolmsds.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I can't buy Everclear 190 proof here in West Virginia, but they sell it in neighboring Kentucky. I am over there a lot, so picking up some at the liquor store is easy for me.

I have used some of the higher quality denatured alcohols for French polish in the past, but using Everclear is such a nicer experience. It smells better, and I don't have to worry about a harmful chemical working its way into my bloodstream. It works well for the job at hand, too. Ticks all the boxes. I'll gladly pay a little more for that better experience.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: matt jacobs (Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:03 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
I'm seeing some people mention 195 proof Everclear so I had to go check my bottle, it's 190 proof.
I'll be in Indiana in a few weeks maybe I'll pick up some 195 proof. Booze is cheaper there than Kansas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

My recollection is that the strongest Everclear was 95% (which is~the azeotrope), which translates to 190 proof. How about if some of you who are writing 195 proof take a glance at your bottle and confirm that.