PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
Is anyone on the forum using these guys?

I’m really interested in what’s involved paperwork wise in getting a guitar through customs. Is it easier because it’s making a round trip? I’m planning to send the guitar in 2 pieces using a foam lined round-trip plastic crate from uline. It may be easier to drive them up.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Check with Simon Fay (toonces?) he ships to Rob at VGF. Also just check with Rob. He does lots of work for builders all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

And I just got my first build back from them. Very nice finish work.

Satin neck turned out fantastic.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post: Michaeldc (Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

Rod True wrote:

Satin neck turned out fantastic.

They must do good work if Simon is willing to ship all the way from Florida. Nice looking guitar btw!

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
Just to clarify, I've always used Joe White for my finish work but he is in the process of moving and setting up a new shop. I just tried out the Vancouver guys for a couple of guitars. They do a pretty good job but I'm having to ship them back on account of a couple small issues. I'm much pickier than most tho'. Joe still does the best finish work I've seen thus far. I will say that they are incredibly affordable and spray a quality finish. They have my recommendation.

In terms of shipping, just ship via FedEx great rates program. You also want to specify the shipment as "repair and return". You can ship Rosewood guitars this way legally as long as they aren't a "finished goods" item.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 am) • Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Last work I did for a maker in Canada his guitars were held up at customs on the return for several weeks.... Wrong code on a form somewhere. And that was before IR went CITES1.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 am 
Koa
Koa

Toonces wrote:
Just to clarify, I've always used Joe White for my finish work but he is in the process of moving and setting up a new shop. I just tried out the Vancouver guys for a couple of guitars. They do a pretty good job but I'm having to ship them back on account of a couple small issues. I'm much pickier than most tho'. Joe still does the best finish work I've seen thus far. I will say that they are incredibly affordable and spray a quality finish. They have my recommendation.

In terms of shipping, just ship via FedEx great rates program. You also want to specify the shipment as "repair and return". You can ship Rosewood guitars this way legally as long as they aren't a "finished goods" item.

Thanks for the tips and recommendation.

Best, M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
I have samples of their work via my FB friend Michael Dunn a long time vancouver bc luthier, Its hard to see the details on your phone .But the pictures of their finished guitars look good . Perhaps you can contact michael dunn himself . and get his opinion eh ??

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:25 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Logan
Last Name: Sarchfield
State: AB
Quote:

Rod,

How long was the turn around time? Is your finish poly or nitro?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Logan, the finish is poly. Turn around was 5 weeks, but I think Rob typically quotes 6 weeks. I'm close enough to be able to drop off and pick up from his shop.

These users thanked the author Rod True for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:12 am 
Koa
Koa

Rob at VGF said they weren’t taking on any new nitro clients, and said if they did shoot nitro there would be a $200 (?) upcharge. He also mentioned that for a couple hundred more they could put rush on the order. I think he mentioned a 2 week turnaround?

M

After thinking about it for a minute, I think the shorter turnaround time would only apply to a uv curable finish due to the longer nitro cure time.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 am)