It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: outgassing glue smell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I have a guitar i purchased last winter that has a chemical smell from the glue that was used to make it (titebond genuine liquid hide glue). I have had a toxic reaction to this glue and am hoping to gas it out by pointing a small fan at the sound hole for however long it takes to remove or minimize the odor. As long as the relative humidity of the room is above 50% would this be in any way harmful to the guitar? It has a cedar top and rosewood sides and back. thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Focus: Build
I suspect they used formaldehyde instead of urea
you will take a long time to get it out if you even can

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: stebinus (Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

bluescreek wrote:
I suspect they used formaldehyde instead of urea
you will take a long time to get it out if you even can

how are these used in guitar manufacture?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Pure Hide Glue requires heating for use, titebond hide glue has chemicals added to keep it liquid at room temperature.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You might want to try charcoal to trap the volatile chemicals and then release them outside when recharging the charcoal in the sun. You could place them inside the soundhole or in a closed guitar case.

www.amazon.com/ANYI16-Purifying-Charcoa ... 6469026372

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: stebinus (Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
How do you know that particular glue was used on your guitar?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:58 am 
Walnut
Walnut

doncaparker wrote:
How do you know that particular glue was used on your guitar?

maker told me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I’m probing, and I apologize, but it matters a bit how reliable the information is. By “maker,” do you mean an individual builder of handmade guitars, or a small company, or a big company? Sometimes, when it is a company, the person answering your questions does not have reliable information, because they didn’t do the actual work.

Another thing that makes me cautious about relying on the accuracy of the information is that most guitar builders (not all, but most) use some other type of hide glue, if they are going to use hide glue on an instrument. Deserved or not, the Franklin version of liquid hide glue doesn’t have the best reputation, and it is due to the additives used to keep it liquid at room temperature and give it a longer shelf life.

So, I’m still a little stuck on the idea that the chemical smell is from something stronger than the additives in liquid hide glue. In other words, I allow for the possibility that there is something stronger that is setting off your reaction. What about the case the guitar is in? The glue in cases can be pretty nasty.

But assuming the information is accurate, all you can really do is try to air it out, and/or try to absorb the odor with products designed to do that. Good luck with the process.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: stebinus (Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chris
Last Name: Reed
City: Stowmarket
State: Suffolk
Zip/Postal Code: IP14 2EX
I suppose it could be the glue, but there is so little of it in a guitar that if there is any other possible explanation I'd check that out too. A case has already been mentioned, plenty of solvent-based glues in those. And many kinds of finish outgas for months, and are much more irritating (in general) than anything in woodworking glue - have you checked what finish was used?

If it is indeed the glue, I'd say that something to absorb the fumes would be better than a fan. Someone has mentioned charcoal (if you can get it in a form that won't leave the inside of your guitar black!). Dry rice works, and so does cat litter.

In all cases, pour a good amount inside, shake it around well, and then leave for a few days, shaking from time to time. Then get it out - easier said than done! A gentle vacuum cleaner does the job if you can be certain not to let it suck on the wood or, worst or all, over the entire sound hole; I've heard of guitars imploding from this. If the smell/irritation is reduced, repeat as necessary.

These users thanked the author profchris for the post: stebinus (Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:19 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Clay S. wrote:
You might want to try charcoal to trap the volatile chemicals and then release them outside when recharging the charcoal in the sun. You could place them inside the soundhole or in a closed guitar case.

http://www.amazon.com/ANYI16-Purifying- ... 6469026372

how long do you think it would take for one of these charcoal packets to be effective?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Any chance you have it in a TKL case? I purchased a couple of those and had to send them back because they stunk to high heaven! Apparently from the glues used in the case. No way was I going to put a guitar in them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
I got in a case today that has a pretty strong odor . I Fabreezed it and am going to let it sit a while before i put a guitar in it . We shall See

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

stebinus wrote:
Clay S. wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/ANYI16-Purifying- ... 6469026372

how long do you think it would take for one of these charcoal packets to be effective?

It depends on how quickly the volatiles are released from whatever is outgassing. If you get several packs you could put some in the guitar and case and periodically exchange (and recharge/discharge) them with fresh ones when they seem to lose their effectiveness. They may keep the guitar playable as they eliminate the smell. Charcoal is used in respirators to absorb volatile fumes, but at some point those also need to be replaced. With respirator canisters it is suggested that to prolong their effectiveness, they be kept in a sealed bag when not in use, so they don't absorb ambient volatiles.
Right now I am dealing with a "dead animal" smell created by some vultures living in the attic of my shop. I open the door and blow fresh outside air into the rooms with a large industrial type fan. It reduces the stench factor enough to where I can work in there. Until the birds are fledged I will try to find ways to put up with them. If you can't immediately eliminate the smell maybe you can ameliorate it enough with the charcoal to play the guitar until it naturally goes away.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: stebinus (Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:02 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Good rule of thumb with new cases: put them out in the sunlight for a day or two. Helps with gas out.

These users thanked the author AndyB for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:12 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

This may be off the wall, but are you sure it isn’t the case that smells?? I’ve had that issue before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk