Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

Pressing frets. I like to fret my boards off the neck and then flex them to straighten out before glue up to the neck blank. As per Grumpy and works great for me using epoxy to glue the board on. Different ways to skin a cat.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post (total 4): Robbie_McD (Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:49 am) • rbuddy (Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:36 am) • bcombs510 (Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 pm) • Kbore (Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
J De Rocher wrote:
The Guide Coat looks interesting. How fine of a grit on a sanded surface can it be used on? Any concerns about a fine powder like that getting places on the bench or in the shop where you wouldn't want it? Or lungs.

I need to spend some more time with it. You definitely don’t want it where you don’t want it. Especially the orange.

It seems to work well through the early stages (400, 600, 800 grit). After that it seemed less effective. That’s just using it once, I’ll give it a few more tries before final judgement.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Kbore (Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:49 pm) • J De Rocher (Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Darrel Friesen wrote:
Pressing frets….

That looks awesome and terrifying at the same time. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

bcombs510 wrote:
Darrel Friesen wrote:
Pressing frets….

That looks awesome and terrifying at the same time. :)

Ha! That's what I thought when Mario Proulx threw it out there. Have never had a problem though and works great. About a 5/8" block in the center. comes out flat and combined with epoxy not introducing moisture and movement, works great for me.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: bcombs510 (Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Yup, used to do that after Grumpy's post until I started fretting after assembly.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Colin North wrote:
Yup, used to do that after Grumpy's post until I started fretting after assembly.

Me too and I still do the same thing if, for some reason, I fret the board before attaching it. I have moved away from epoxy though and use Titebond these days, I just leave it clamped for 24 hrs; haven't had any issues with neck movement but I do have a good slotted caul that fits over the fretboard.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Kbore (Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Whooo hoooo!
I can make my own bridges!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post (total 5): Hesh (Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:10 pm) • SteveSmith (Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:27 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 pm) • J De Rocher (Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:22 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

SteveSmith wrote:
Colin North wrote:

Me too and I still do the same thing if, for some reason, I fret the board before attaching it. I have moved away from epoxy though and use Titebond these days, I just leave it clamped for 24 hrs; haven't had any issues with neck movement but I do have a good slotted caul that fits over the fretboard.

I hear you Steve. I'm about 50/50 with epoxy over Titebond depending on the day. Both work fine and both release around the same temperature if you need to do surgery at some point down the road.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 am) • SteveSmith (Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:04 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
I posted about this booboo in another thread, but thought a follow-up would sit better here.

When using a router with the Stewmac bit and bearing, I mistakenly put the bearing against the binding rebate when cutting the purfling rebate instead of on the side. This gave me a 'way-too-wide rebate for the purfling. A piece of the cutoff from the back provided a patch, which I fitted carefully and glued with hot hide glue. I also put in a wider backstrip.

I think I dodged a bullet!

Attachment:
booboo.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1845.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1850 2.jpeg

Attachment:
DSC00105.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post (total 7): Chris Pile (Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 am) • Ken Nagy (Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:13 am) • Colin North (Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:59 am) • Hesh (Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:51 am) • J De Rocher (Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:15 am) • Kbore (Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:58 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:35 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Nice recovery!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Kbore (Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:58 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
Good job Pat but how on earth did you make the glue line disappear?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Gasawdust wrote:

He didn't quite, if you look closely you can just see it, but he did a really good job.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Gasawdust wrote:

The glue line is definitely still there, but I'm happy with it.

In trying to make it as inconspicuous as I could, the donor piece was from a cutoff of the back. With irregular grain, like with birdseye, I tried to get a match for runout direction as well as color. Spent a lot of time getting a good fit, and used Hot hide glue. There wasn't any way to clamp the glued piece, so I just kept finger pressure on it for about five minutes—one of the many things I like about hide glue, along with being able to redo it if needed. CA would not have been a good choice here.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Kbore (Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:32 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
Pat Foster wrote:
Gasawdust wrote:

The glue line is definitely still there, but I'm happy with it.

In trying to make it as inconspicuous as I could, the donor piece was from a cutoff of the back. With irregular grain, like with birdseye, I tried to get a match for runout direction as well as color. Spent a lot of time getting a good fit, and used Hot hide glue. There wasn't any way to clamp the glued piece, so I just kept finger pressure on it for about five minutes—one of the many things I like about hide glue, along with being able to redo it if needed. CA would not have been a good choice here.

Considering how near impossible it is to match maple or other light color wood this repair is near flawless. Great recovery Pat!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Finished the woodworking on this 635mm scale Alpine spruce and African Blackwood guitar with Malagasy ebony appointments and Brazilian Rosewood bridge. Now to start French polishing!

These users thanked the author oval soundhole for the post (total 8): Kbore (Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:51 pm) • Hesh (Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:31 am) • Craig Wilson (Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:02 pm) • rbuddy (Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:05 pm) • Ken Nagy (Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:20 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:24 pm) • Pat Foster (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:23 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Just finished buffing the finish on the current instrument.

Attachment:
Finish polished mandocello 1.jpg

Attachment:
Finish polished mandocello 2.jpg

And inside (no polishing here):

Attachment:
Mandocello interior.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 10): Robbie_McD (Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:52 am) • Ken Nagy (Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:26 am) • Hesh (Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:32 am) • Craig Wilson (Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:03 pm) • rbuddy (Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:05 pm) • Kbore (Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:12 pm) • Doc (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:34 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:24 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Stunning, inside and out....

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

Two beauties in a row. Excellent work Brian and Jay! I can only aspire.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: J De Rocher (Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:06 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Both of those are great! [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

Jay, That must be koa binding. It's awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

Sorry... one last comment. What is your finish. It looks great.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
sdsollod wrote:
Sorry... one last comment. What is your finish. It looks great.

It's Endurovar. And I agree about the koa binding. Really nice stuff from Bob Gleason.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:22 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
oval soundhole wrote:
Finished the woodworking on this 635mm scale Alpine spruce and African Blackwood guitar with Malagasy ebony appointments and Brazilian Rosewood bridge. Now to start French polishing!

That blackwood is gorgeous.
Very nice guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:07 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Gregor, I agree. My wife even asked if I've ever seen African Blackwood around. So she likes it too. I have a piece of Birds Eye maple to make a little Torres. An African Blackwood one would be a nice contrast. Maybe put the slot head on that one instead of the wood pegs. I really like the look of the square corners.

Last night I got ready to glue the viola together. I had to change from cello carriage bolts to the violin/viola ones. I have another set for guitar. I'll only use 24 of the 36 clamps.

I set my neck when it is still on the form. I've never even considered doing it any other way. It just seems like a bad idea. 

I'm doing this viola to test out the method of Peter Westerlund. So far the arching ideas work, and the ended up almost exactly as I do them from the inside out. There are a lot more high peaks in the resonances of the free plates though. 

I know that Peter doesn't check for that, but I wanted to see what they actually were.

I will keep everything warm today, and glue in the afternoon when I start working. 

Knock it off the form, glue the back, glue the neck, and maybe later, or tomorrow glue the belly. I might do it on the dining room table. It's only 50 in the basement this morning.

Attachment:
IMG_1645.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1646.jpg

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:24 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken Nagy wrote:
Gregor, I agree. My wife even asked if I've ever seen African Blackwood around. So she likes it too. I have a piece of Birds Eye maple to make a little Torres. An African Blackwood one would be a nice contrast. Maybe put the slot head on that one instead of the wood pegs. I really like the look of the square corners.

Besides being very expensive, African Blackwood also has the distinction of being rather unpleasant to work with. It dulls edge tools immediately, clogs sandpaper rapidly (both the thickness sander and when had sanding), it often has voids that need to be filled, warps and distorts if not aged for a considerable amount of time (even when well quarter sawn like the material I used), it weighs a ton, smells unpleasant when worked, and seems kind of brittle.

I think it should make for a good sounding guitar but I'd be hesitant to use it again, especially on a smaller guitar like Torres SE-117 (the small Torres I believe you're alluding to) in which weight is a big factor in the success of that model.

These users thanked the author oval soundhole for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:05 pm) • Ken Nagy (Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next