Post subject: Guitar Cases, again.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
The guitar case market seems to be pretty variable these days. I have a commission that needs a 14-fret OM sized case. Just want a decent case, nothing super fancy but not a cheapy either. What are you guys buying now? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Guitar Cases, again.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Focus: Build
Access and TkL are both good and economical

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post (total 2): jack (Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:55 pm) • SteveSmith (Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:20 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I usually find cases on eBay. They have quite a few OM cases listed from $99 - $1500.
If a Guild case would work this one might be decent:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364289174951?h ... R9T5kdzOYg

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, looks like the TKL Performer will fit the bill for this one. I usually get Hiscox but that's a bit more than the guy wants to spend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
TKL has my vote too. Hiscox no longer distributes to the US but the pro 2 would have been my top choice a few years back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hiscox will ship from the UK but it's expensive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I’m glad TKL let’s you order right from the site for standard shapes. No shipping and no tax, at least to oHIo. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I have a nephew who works at TKL, so I’m biased, but it really is a good choice at a few different price levels.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
TKL Performer is a three latch flat top case with fake fur lining and a hard plastic handle. Bottom of the line. IMHO, a Silver Creek Vintage style from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center is a better case for less money. Six latches, arch top, green crushed velour lining, leather handle.

These users thanked the author John Arnold for the post (total 4): CraigG (Sat May 18, 2024 4:31 pm) • jack (Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:57 pm) • SteveSmith (Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:59 am) • joshnothing (Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:59 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks John, I’ll take a look at those.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:00 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I also use the Silver Creek. Used to be $80 but inflation makes them about $130 now. Still a good deal. Just got one in this week.

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I tend to go for the hard foam cases these days, light and reasonably priced.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
Based on above recommendations I ordered my first Tkl case yesterday from their website. At checkout I found a nice surprise discount (first time buyer maybe) and got a follow up email saying it would be shipped on this coming Monday. Surprise, surprise….it came today less than 24 hours after ordering it.
Happy camper here and will do repeat biz with them
Tom

These users thanked the author Gasawdust for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:39 pm) • SteveSmith (Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
John Arnold wrote:
TKL Performer is a three latch flat top case with fake fur lining and a hard plastic handle. Bottom of the line. IMHO, a Silver Creek Vintage style from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center is a better case for less money. Six latches, arch top, green crushed velour lining, leather handle.

New case day following finished guitar day!
Looking for a case- most plywood cases have more than doubled in price since COVID. John was right, the silver creek is more case for less money and has six latches. This case had a 4.7 star review with 250 5-star reviews out of 329 reviews. On sale 20% off was $110 shipped. Thanks for the heads up.

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

On a related note, does an expensive/ custom case give a higher perceived value to a hand-built instrument? Put another way, would a custom or more expensive case provide a buyer with a better first impression of the custom-made instrument inside? I just wonder if a buyer might ask; "if its such a good guitar, why is it in a cheap-azz case. THats what I got to thinking after showing one of my guitars in a cheap case to dealer.

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: Hesh (Sat May 18, 2024 1:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:37 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Karl I agree with you and went with mid-level cases for my Heshtones. Don't know if they are even in business anymore but I used customized Cedar Creek cases and my clients loved them. They have also held up very well for nearly 20 years now and back then they were not expensive IIRC around $350 if you ordered at least three but that was a long time ago. Last I know I thought that TKL bought them.

I had a terrible experience with Ameritage and they remain the heaviest cases I have ever encountered. We see them in our repair business and the owners and I often refer to them as ball busters....

My Cedar Creek cases included custom badges on the outside and in the pic the badges look better in person these still had the protective covering on them.

I used black for Dreads and genuine, imitation alligator... ;) for My OM's, L-OOs and SJs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Sat May 18, 2024 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Stunning guitar Hesh. Cedar Creek still has a website, but it seems to have been "abandoned".

EDIT: After a number of minutes, the website redirected, although there was no buying opportunity from their website.
https://cedarcreekcases.com/

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: Hesh (Sat May 18, 2024 2:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:06 pm 

Yeah sorry if I led you astray Karl but the point I really wanted to make is that presentation is everything. Small builders don't have over 100 years of history to point to like Martin, we are unknown for the most part and our ability to warranty our work is completely dependent on our life spans unless one makes other arrangements that will live on after we do.

There are a lot of reasons to not buy from a small builder who is unknown and does not have famous clients. We create another reason to take a pass on our stuff when we ourselves don't believe in the value that we provide.

This is why I was always against selling anything for less than a going rate or for material costs. Give it away if you're going to do that and make someone even happier but never, never devalue your/our own value there will be plenty of people who may attempt to do that.

So I would go for decent cases for sure and agree with you. I showed pics of a Heshtone in the case because the case is the very first impression a buyer or maybe prospective buyer will get, it should be a great impression.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
FWIW, I’ve been using the TKL Pro-Form cases for the last few 00’s. They are $270, an upgrade from the TKL traditional hard shell case, and I have been replacing the badge with my own:

If nothing else, it gave me a reason to explore aluminum work on the CNC. :)

Check those cases, you might like it for a slight upgrade. Plus free and fast shipping which is always a plus.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): rbuddy (Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 pm) • Hesh (Sat May 18, 2024 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Gordon French (718-877-8652 or gfrench@tkl.com) is now the interface for Cedar Creek custom cases. I ordered one from him last week.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 5): Glen H (Sun May 19, 2024 1:21 am) • Pat Foster (Sat May 18, 2024 9:57 pm) • rbuddy (Sat May 18, 2024 8:12 pm) • Hesh (Sat May 18, 2024 7:24 pm) • bcombs510 (Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:02 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
I spent some time looking for cases for my current trio. Not a standard size case. After ordering 2 cases with lousy published incomplete dimensions, that, by the numbers should have fit but didn't and had to be returned with shipping costs I ran across Crossrock. Made in China, oh well.

They gave better and more thorough dimensions and the case fit perfectly based on them.

It's a fiberglass case, light weight and well appointed with some simple features often overlooked.

The latches work more smoothly than most, TSA lock on one. The inside of the hinges are covered with fabric, a nice touch. Even the lid strap has a pleat in it so when you close the case the lid strap goes INSIDE the case.

I used to use Hiscox Artist but they stopped importing (heard they are supposed to start again).

So far I'm really liking the Crossrock a lot. This is the only one I've tried. Not cheap but much less than comparables.

https://crossrockcase.com/product/fiberglass-classical-guitar-case-4-4-full-size/

Last edited by rbuddy on Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sun May 19, 2024 11:34 am) • bcombs510 (Sun May 19, 2024 10:32 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:35 am 

rbuddy wrote:
I spent some time looking for cases for my current trio. Not a standard size case. After ordering 2 cases that the lousy published incomplete dimensions, that, by the numbers should have fit but didn't and had to be returned with shipping costs I ran across Crossrock. Made in China, oh well.

They gave better and more thorough dimensions and the case fit perfectly based on them.

It's a fiberglass case, light weight and well appointed with some simple features often overlooked.

The latches work more smoothly than most, TSA lock on one. The inside of the hinges are covered with fabric, a nice touch. Even the lid strap has a pleat in it so when you close the case the lid strap goes INSIDE the case.

I used to use Hiscox Artist but they stopped importing (heard they are supposed to start again).

So far I'm really liking the Crossrock a lot. This is the only one I've tried. Not cheap but much less than comparables.

https://crossrockcase.com/product/fiberglass-classical-guitar-case-4-4-full-size/

Brian these look great they look like a $1,000 case but are much less. Great find!