Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
The latest head-scratcher was a customer requesting help with keeping a guitar in tune when the glider capo (aka a roller-style capo) was rolled behind the nut for storage. The maker of the capo simply suggests storing it on the nut, which can crowd some players (including our customer). To complicate matters, the customer uses the capo for key changes on a few tunes, so needed the capo to roll from the stored position to use position and back several times without any fuss during the number.

My constraints were 1) no permanent mods to the instrument (a Taylor 714ce), 2) no loss access to the trussrod beyond the existing need to remove the mounting screws and cover, and 3) no interference with the string lies.

After a day or two at Greenridge, I had a design for a shelf which could be installed just above the nut, and a couple of early prototypes in hand. The fifth design generation seemed to work well and generated a customer visit. The attached Fusion screen capture is the 6th generation, which incorporated some additional tweaks by that customer. After some stage time to see how well the device works under actual performance conditions, we will likely iterate a final time and then print in carbon fiber with much thinner layers so as to provide a more finished appearance. The pictures and the screen grab from Fusion show the draft-quality print PET-G 5th generation design installed and in use on the Taylor, as well as the tweaked sixth generation capo shelf design (the latest).

The mounting screws were changed from the round-head Taylor originals to the shorter, flat-head Phillips LP trim ring screws to avoid string interference.

Feel free to offer suggestions for further design mods.

Attachment:
IMG_0304.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_0307.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_0308.jpeg

Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 11.29.47 AM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Durero (Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm) • Kbore (Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am) • Robbie_McD (Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:39 pm)

Post subject: Re: Design Project
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Focus: Build
Thanks for sharing! That's exactly what I was envisioning as the solution when reading the problem, right down to the use of 3D printing to make it and truss rod screw holes to mount it :) The only small refinements I'd make are
1) Reduce the bump as the capo passes over the nut and into the holder. Longer, shallower ramps so it rides up effortlessly and then falls into the dip.
2) Some prongs sticking up to act as a wall that you bump the capo up against to ensure that it doesn't go past the dip and onto the strings again.

EDIT: Hmm, except the prongs would make it impossible to remove for truss rod access without loosening the strings... Maybe only keep the middle one then, and make it as wide as you can without touching the strings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by DennisK on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Woodie G (Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:01 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think I would have told him to park the capo on the first fret, tune down a 1/2 step and use a slightly heavier gauge of strings. Your device is crowding the SRV ashtray. pizza

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Kbore (Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:43 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clever!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Woodie G (Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:01 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:01 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Pretty cool and clever I like it a lot and have a few clients who do the same thing and would appreciate this.

Are you going to productize this?

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Woodie G (Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:01 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:57 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Good ideas, all, and thanks for your time and interest... we have already received enough feedback from the owner that a 7th design generation is in the works... the ramp shown in the Fusion screenshot has been re-angled and the edge further softened to reduce 'parking' force, while adding a bit more of a back-stop as Mr. Kincheloe suggested might be necessary for those capos with weaker springs (the interaction of the bottom V-roller and new/strong springs with back of neck appears to be very effective at limiting the upper roller movement to the shelf).

As to manufacture, my goal is limited to ensuring the relevant files are available on Thingiverse.com and similar Creative Commons-based no-cost file sharing sites so that those interested in experimentation with design, materials, and extending application might leverage the work already done. I just stepped into a new job, leaving a purely clinical practice and taking on the task of establishing both a new clinical practice and standing up several programs closely aligned with my own professional interests. While the boys might have run with this, they have their hands full with their careers, shop work, and a truly insane list of outside interests/distractions.

Summary: I prefer the mental exercise and customer interaction of the development effort over a new career as the Etsy/Reverb/eBay 'Capo Shelf Queen,' but have to say that if the job gave me an excuse to wear a tiara on a regular basis, I might be tempted. ;)

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 5): Hesh (Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:21 am) • Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:47 pm) • J De Rocher (Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:37 pm) • SteveSmith (Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:59 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Woodie a tiara would be so you! Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dave m2 wrote:
Woodie a tiara would be so you! Dave

Here is one you could 3D print: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-print- ... rown-tiara bliss