Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

My allergies have gotten really bad in the shop the last decade and I need suggestions from others who have had the same experience. I am currently looking at Powered Air-Purifying Respirators (PAPR) and have come across the Sundstrom SR 500/570 Air-Purifying Respirator.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone had experience with this full face - forced air respirator? It is not cheap and not returnable.
2. What do you think of full face - forced respirators in general?
3. Is there another full faced mask option that you like better?

Any insight/help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Getting desperate.

These users thanked the author Bill Higgs for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:16 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:41 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
I own a 3M PAPR. With different filters, it can handle everything from wood dust to highly toxic spray finishes. Very expensive, but you can find great deals on used gear.

If you need actual protection (as opposed to the mirage of protection), I think PAPRs are the real deal. I use mine for finishing, but if I had the type of sensitivity you have, I would wear a Tyvek suit (seriously), nitrile gloves and a PAPR. Don't mess around with your health.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:59 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:41 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Don was the one that showed me the PAPR from 3M and it’s been a godsend.

I developed a fairly serious allergy to ziricote (and maybe others, TBD) and the only way I was able to finish up the build was with the PAPR.

It’s also a much better experience when spraying. Especially with glasses and a beard. It’s cool air blowing on your face with a full field of view. It’s night and day.

I monitored EBay until I found one with a price I could live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:59 pm) • doncaparker (Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:04 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I know it’s not directly to your topic, but I found adding a HEPA filter running full time 24/7 in my main work room was a great help to me. I used to immediately get a red and flushed/itchy face runny nose when stepping in, but now I don’t. In conjunction with the mask you’re seeking of course…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:00 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:22 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Good point on the HEPA filter. I don’t leave mine on 24/7 but I’m not doing near as much in my shop as Ed is. I do turn it on when I start doing anything dusty. I recently got a Dylos monitor and I can see that running the filter makes a big difference in air quality. If you don’t have an air quality monitor yet, at $200 it’s a worthwhile investment.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:00 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Bill had asked in a PM for details on which 3M model I use. I thought others might benefit from that info:

I currently use a TR-800 that I bought used. That’s the top of the line of 3M’s current products. Very expensive, but also the most versatile. I got a crazy deal on my used one. If you want to use organic vapor cartridges, necessary for finishing, you need to use either a TR-800 or a TR-600. The TR-300 doesn’t work with the organic vapor cartridges. Those are the three current models.

An older version of the PAPR called the GVP is a good lower cost option. They no longer sell this as a system, but they support the products with filters and replacement parts. They still sell organic vapor filters for these.

For helmets, you have a lot of options. I have an M-400 series helmet with a shoulder shroud, because I cure UV cure finish, and I want to protect my neck and ears. The M-300 helmets are fine if you are not worried about a sunburn like I am. The face shields are shatter and chemical resistant and the helmets are hard hats, so there’s added safety you don’t have to cover with other PPE. You can add ear protection if you want to. Or, if you just want a lighter option, there are soft hoods.

The GVP is the model Brad tried at my shop, because that’s what I owned at the time. I later upgraded to the TR-800, and I think that’s what Brad uses, too.

These are all very expensive new; I can only afford them used. But they are way more immune to pilot error than a conventional respirator, particularly if you have facial hair and/or wear prescription eyeglasses, and you get to work in relative comfort. I consider mine well worth the money.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm) • bcombs510 (Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Yes, same setup for me, the TR-800. I did switch from the belt to the backpack which I like for long sessions.

https://a.co/d/4L7uZOa

Also, +1 for the Dylos and thanks to Ed for the suggestion of the Honeywell HEPA filter. It’s a great help and runs 24x7 but it has a sensor and spins up and down on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 3): Kbore (Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:02 pm) • meddlingfool (Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 am) • doncaparker (Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 am)