PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:26 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Jon
Last Name: Snider
City: Colorado Springs
State: Colorado
Focus: Build
On one of my three OOO-12 cutaways I’m building my segmented rosette turned out to not be a perfect circle. Once I inlayed it into the channel in the spruce SB top, there is a small gap in two areas. The rosette is a combination of ebony and rosewood pieces so fairly dark. Could I use Ebony sawdust to fill the gaps, maybe with CA glue? I’m concerned about stains in the spruce wood, although I did add a single shellac wash coat. Appreciate any advice. Thanks much.

Last edited by Duct Tape on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Any pics?

I would think brushing some more shellac into the gap areas couldn’t hurt before you start the fix. If it’s significant, consider inlaying some rosewood for most of the gap and fill around that with dust vs the entire gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

Like Brad says. Pics would help. Epoxy and ebony or rosewood dust shouldn't wick like CA may.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:44 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

It’s in the Go Bar deck right now, with Tightbond as the glue. I’m out tomorrow but might be able to get some,pics after I get back. Thx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Have you cut out the sound hole yet? ‘Cause of you can get it back on your rosette cutter you could add a line of purfling…

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

That was my back up plan. Would need to cut into rosette on both inside and outside some to clean up the circle and add room for purfling. Sound hole not cut yet. But don’t want it to get too busy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Likely a well cut consistent extra line of purfling will look better than a dust filled section in one spot…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Bryan Bear (Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:39 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Sloppy inlay work :) Duct Tape consider doing what G*bson has done for decades with their logo use copious amounts of black filler and call it good, good enough for a G*bson ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Duct Tape wrote:
That was my back up plan. Would need to cut into rosette on both inside and outside some to clean up the circle and add room for purfling. Sound hole not cut yet. But don’t want it to get too busy.

Just use black purfling and it shouldn’t look any busier.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Bryan Bear (Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Back when I was building furniture we would make filler for small gaps using fine sawdust and the finish material the piece was finished with as a "binder". . This seemed to give the best match for color and could make small gaps "disappear", better than Titebond or CA that some people use.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 2): Cal Maier (Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:29 am) • Kbore (Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:56 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

When I am dusting in a gap, I use diluted Elmers school glue. The glue dries transparent and colorless. Gap filling should not require any strength.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:04 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

bcombs510 wrote:
Any pics?

I would think brushing some more shellac into the gap areas couldn’t hurt before you start the fix. If it’s significant, consider inlaying some rosewood for most of the gap and fill around that with dust vs the entire gap.

I’ve tried to post pics but can’t. In the FAQ it says they need to be on a public server, not on just my iPad. Also searched “how to” but no luck.

Anyway, adding a piece of purfling both inside and out worked great. Also finished my other two guitar tops. All three have rosettes installed and are thicknessed, and ready for bracing. Thanks for advice here.

Jon

These users thanked the author Duct Tape for the post (total 2): Kbore (Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:34 pm) • Bryan Bear (Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:47 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Glad it worked out! I use TapaTalk for posting pics, works as easy as facebook and you can post from your iPad…

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Jon posting pics from your device, tablet - PC etc is perfectly doable. Preferable really since hosting services sometimes disappear.

The usual problem is size. Your file has be less than a certain size - can't remember exactly but I seem to remember about 270 K.
However if this is the problem the software will tell as you try to load the file.

I use Photoshop Elements (just because I have it) to both reduce the image size then save it as a lower resolution, and hence smaller file. But there is plenty of other software that will do the trick

Hope it helps. I'm sure the info is on the forum but I can never find it!

Cheers Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I think the size is 256k. I do photos from iMac. View the photo in preview. Go to tools, then adjust size. I just change the size from whatever resolution is there to whatever gives me something under 256. I don't have an iPad, but I would think it would be similar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:31 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Ken and Dave,

Do you mind telling me how to post from your Mac or iPad? When I start a new post or full reply there are multiple little icons along the top, including .img, etc. But none of them seem to work as I’m used to in several other forums.

And in this Quick Reply none of those icons are there.

I did research this in the FAQ and under several searches but only found the web hosting options. I don’t have Tapatalk.

Thanks, Jon. Over 65 but still not yet completely tech challenged! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
There is a section at the bottom of the post or reply page where you can attach a file. This is easy on the PC - I can't comment on the Apple devices. Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I am posting this from an iPad.
Hit the “full editor” button
Scroll down to the section headed “upload attachment” and click on the highlighted text “choose file”
This will open a box that allows you to choose a saved file, or a photo from your library, or to take a new photo. Choose the file you want and press done. You can also add a caption in the dialog box below that. It will try to upload the photo file into your message. You see a text line inserted in the message composer (not the actual image) but you will see the image if you try preview, or if you submit.

The common problem is that it fails to load the image because the file is too big. I just tried to load a random photo into this post and got an error message “The file is too big, maximum allowable size is 256 kB”. Most photos taken on your iPad are over 1.2 mB. You need to use a resizing app to reduce the size of the photo. There are lots of free ones available.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

Irfanview is a good free app for resizing. One of many as stated. Even "Paint" works fine for resizing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:22 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Trying this again. Here is one of three rosettes after adding some purfling. My first attempts so still room for improvement but still happy with them. Thx for advice. Jon

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Duct Tape for the post (total 3): Kbore (Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 pm) • Bryan Bear (Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:48 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:45 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:23 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

And another. Thx for resizer app tips!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Duct Tape for the post (total 2): Ken Nagy (Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:11 am) • bcombs510 (Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:45 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Nice save!

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Duct Tape (Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:55 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I have terrible eyes for detail. Even in these large photos, I don't see anything that could be improved. In real life, I probably wouldn't have seen what was bad in the first place! I can point out hawks, or herons, or deer driving down the road at 70mph though.

I do all my photos from my Mac. Sometimes I post from my Kindle, but I don't do photos from there. Sometimes some photos don't show up on it either. I don't know about the camera on my 10" Kindle. The one on my first one that couldn't even go on line was garbage, so I've never tried it.

I don't use my phone except for photos, and directions in the car! It's too small.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Duct Tape (Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:56 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Looks good!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Duct Tape (Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:56 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Those look good for first rosettes. It looks like you've got the inlaying into the top part of it pretty well down. One thing that could use improvement for this style of rosette is to figure out a way to cut your tiles so that the radial edges are actually radial. Several of the spokes in each rosette don't line up with the center hole and it doesn't look like that was intentional.