Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I sometimes seal the spruce top with Zinsser Seal Coat, to prevent lifting the spruce fibers, when I remove the tape. Works great, but the sealer coat is a bear to get off after the binding is on. It really gums up any sand paper that I have used. Today, I tried to use my ROS and it not only gummed it up, it mixed in the sanding dust from the herringbone and made a huge black gummy mess. I finally got it off, using DNA, but it was a real mess.

Any tips?

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post: Kbore (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:37 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
For that purpose, I use a 1# cut padded on—usually, just a single wipe. It’s thin, protects the wood from the tape, and usually sands right off. The ROS will produce some heat that melts the shellac and increases the mess. I use a 1/4 sheet orbital sander at mid speed to sand the binding edges and clean up the top. When sanding the top, the sander does need to extract dust. Otherwise, the dust gets ground in. I found that I couldn’t control the ROS—I would gouge the soft spruce.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:37 pm) • guitarjtb (Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:38 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A rag wetted with DNA might have been the first thing to start with rather than the last. Similar to removing lacquer, starting with a rag soaked in solvent rather than sandpaper can sometimes make the work go quicker and give a better result. For thicker films you may need to change the rags (or paper towels) as they get clogged up with finish, but it leaves the wood at its original thicknesses and saves on sanding.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:38 pm) • guitarjtb (Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:38 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
In case somebody is scratching their head over 'DNA', it's De Natured Alcohol - - - no water in it like rubbing alcohol. From the luthier department at the hardware store.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:38 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
You mean it’s not spit?

+1 to wipe on 1# cut once or twice. Another tip that it took me too long to appreciate is to resist the urge to sand it back right after binding is on so you can marvel at your work. Wait until you’re ready for the final sanding and take it off then with sanding, DNA, or some combo.

Also, most folks are thinning the perimeter anyway, so perfect time to do it then.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: guitarjtb (Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:38 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
A good sharp cabinet scraper would remove it in a couple of swipes. No mess to deal with.

I would be lost without them.

Cheers,
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: Kbore (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:39 pm)