Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:56 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

do the eBay public a favor and give the seller a negative review....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Phila
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
[QUOTE=Dave Bamber] I'm a complete beginner to woodworking, not just guitar making.

Consequently I've spent a fair bit of time making 'stuff' which isn't guitar-related the last couple of months in preparation of working with nice tonewood. The idea being to have sufficient chops when I start working with the 'good stuff' that I don't waste it due to sloppy workmanship.

I have to say one of my favourite tasks so far has been hand-planing. Took me quite a while to get the 'hang of it', but when you have a well-honed plane making tightly curled less-than-paper-thin shavings it's incredibly satisfying. Maybe that's just because I'm compeltely new to it, maybe not.

I picked up these two planes (18" and 22" I believe, though I still haven't got round to measuring them) for ?5 each in a local flea market.

The blade on the larger one needed replacing, but the one on the smaller plane was (very surprisingly) already honed to the 'ludicrously sharp' point and planed like butter. (Please note that's a martin-dimensioned OM behind them for scale)

They're made from some kind of hard wood, don't know what exactly but they both weigh and absolute ton and the soles are spot-on flat, the edges a perfect 90 degrees.

All in all, I'd say it was the best ?10 I've spent since I started down this guitar-building path. :)[/QUOTE]
I own a couple of old ones that look like that. They where both made in Philadelphia in the mid 1800's. Around the same lenghts. They both work well still though I don't use them anymore. Afraid of damaging them because of there age. I just look at them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
[QUOTE=Alan Carruth] Although a flat sole may not be 'essential' on a plane, it sure makes using it a heckuva lot nicer in almost all work.
[/QUOTE]

Alan-
I agree.
Most of my planes have flat soles- I think. There are still some 'projects' in the back of the drawer for days when I need a break from turning wood (and money) into sawdust and shavings.
It's also nicer, especially when you are a beginner, to have good, sharp tools that are properly set up. This is one of the advantages of working beside an experienced hand- assuming you can borrow his/her tools!
Sharpening and tuning up chisels and planes is a pleasant way to spend a few hours, when I'm in the mood.

The only reason I made the comment about 'not essential' was that, at some point, you have to 'get going' on the project (guitar) or you will spend your whole life 'getting ready to start'. Unless the sole of the plane is seriously warped, you can probably get going with a preliminary flattening, and a good sharp blade.

When I read the initial post I was reminded of an anecdote recounted to me by my first instrument-building teacher, Philip Davis. When he attended the London College of Furniture (Early Instrument Making course), there were a number of 'required projects' that all students had to complete. The first on the list was a toolbox, to be built with hand tools. One of his classmates did an amazing job- inlays, lotsa drawers, etc etc. Unfortunately, that's the only project on the list he finished, and he was chucked out of the course at the end of the year. It's what I think of as the FWW syndrome- by the time you get the 'required set' of benches and toolboxes finished (and filled with tools)- you will be too old and creaky to do any woodworking!

Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:44 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan

[QUOTE=FishtownMike] [QUOTE=Hesh]

[QUOTE=FishtownMike]I use a stanley no 5 1/4. Got it from a Stanley hardware store that went out of business 20 years ago. Found out that its purpose was for use in training schools and for women. Its smaller then a standard no 5. I love it though.[/QUOTE]But..... it's a girly plane........  Just kidding ya Mike buddy and this from a guy who Lillian made a jig for .......[/QUOTE]

Hesh for years that i went in this store it set on a shelf unsold and i always wondered why. Then after the going out of business sale i bought it for a good price. I did some research on it and found out about its purpose then I knew why it sat there all them years. But its still a great plane. I just need to wear a dress when i use it.[/QUOTE]

Mike great response!!!

I have a French maids outfit that Dennis L. Photoshopped me into that I can lone you my friend......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:49 pm 

Mike I forgot to add that Lance and Brock will give you a free subscriber membership if you post a picture of yourself (face).................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

John, I think you know where I'm coming from. I've been "getting ready" to build now for 2 years. Been aquiring tools for 3 years(didn't have many). The hand plane thing I know, will be worth it. Looking forward to being able to use it. Actually worked on it again tonight and it's almost there. Gotta feeling though, that a new Veritas will be bought. Will finish w/this Bailey, just cause I "Gotta" do it.
Just spending time in this new shop is actually great. Not really what some would call a pro type shop but it's mine. It's actually a 12x20 shed that I'm insulating now also. Propane heater going as here it's 0 degrees. Gotta love it!
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lillian
Last Name: Fuller-Watson
State: WA
Focus: Build
[QUOTE=FishtownMike]
Hesh for years that i went in this store it set on a shelf unsold and i always wondered why. Then after the going out of business sale i bought it for a good price. I did some research on it and found out about its purpose then I knew why it sat there all them years. But its still a great plane. I just need to wear a dress when i use it.[/QUOTE]

Mike, Utilikilts are just around the corner from where Sweetie works. I could hook you up if you are interested. I know of several guys that wish they could wear them to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm 

Lillian

I noticed that I didn't see any pictures of fire fighters sliding down the pole in one of these kilts...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:08 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

[QUOTE=FishtownMike]
I own a couple of old ones that look like that. They where both made in Philadelphia in the mid 1800's. Around the same lenghts. They both work well still though I don't use them anymore. Afraid of damaging them because of there age. I just look at them now.[/QUOTE]

I don't know when those two above were made, but I think at least the smaller one was in use until very recently due to the finely honed edge on the blade when I bought it.

I should add I do also have some (smaller) stanley bailey planes which I picked up in a similar manner, but in all honesty, from my perspective as a complete beginner, they're nothing quite so wonderfully tactile as using these huge chunks of wood. Perhaps it helps that these planes bring with them evocative images of old master craftsmen toiling over longships late into the night by an open fire on a windswept beach.

Yes, my imagination is overactive.

On a more serious note, hand planing was something I really didn't 'get' until I started doing it. I even have an electric planer which I rescued from someone else's workshop clean-out. As it goes, although I'm now part-way through constructing an oak and jarrah cupboard as practice, I've not picked up the electric planer once. The process of getting a perfect flat surface with the hand-planes is just so satisfying, and really surprisingly quick.

I was always worried about how I was going to thickness my tops/backs/sides before I started using planes - now I'm not only confident they will do the trick, I'm actually looking forward to the process...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:40 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Dave I bought my blue Norton sanding belts at Home Depot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

What's a good source for Record planes?  I keep getting pointed to Rockler and they don't seem to carry them.  Anybody know a good source?  I'd like to find a good one for joining purposes, just like the feel of a good plane against wood.  I kinda gave up on that Jointer I was looking at, decided I could do just as good a job in a much smaller space with a hand plane, if I can find a good one...

Thanks

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For jointing what? Guitar tops and backs, a #5 or #5 1/2 is ideal, IMO. For bigger things (say, neck-through blanks or longer neck blanks as found on electric guitars) I very much like my Steve Knight jointer plane. A woodie, but a goodie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=BruceHerrmann] What's a good source for Record planes?  I keep getting pointed to Rockler and they don't seem to carry them.  Anybody know a good source?[/QUOTE]

I was looking to purchase a Record #52 1/2 bench vise a while back, but was told that they are presently not produced as the Record division that made them in the UK has closed and they are moving their operation to ASIA. I don't know if that was the same division that made (make?) the planes, some quick google searches did not turn up any info. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Anyways, Record bench planes are quite commom on Ebay and on various old tool dealer's lists. Patrick Leach is one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:46 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

At the end of the day we all have our own methods and ways of working.
And to be honest that usualy is dictaded by the tools we learn with.

Where i find it hard to joint a plate without a dedicated jointing plane
others may get good results with a number 4,

Myself i have a newer stanly number 4 that was my first plane that is
awfull and i dont use.
An old 4 1/2 with rio handles which i love and is my primary plane,a
veritas lowangle smother which i use for jointing ,a LN low angle block
plane,and a verutas apron plane which is is my primary block palne.
i also have a number of stanly block planes which i use around the shop
for diferent stuff.

in my opinion and this is what i was taught you need as long a plane as
poss for jointing but i suppose it depends on your jointing method.

But that said i use my low angle smoother for jointing and thats about the
length of a no 5 and get fine results. i have found that i can joint a back
in a couple of swipes with a number 7 when i have used one (it takes a
little longer with the veritas).

Joel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=joelThompson] At the end of the day we all have our own methods and ways of working.
And to be honest that usualy is dictaded by the tools we learn with.

Where i find it hard to joint a plate without a dedicated jointing plane
others may get good results with a number 4,

Myself i have a newer stanly number 4 that was my first plane that is
awfull and i dont use.
An old 4 1/2 with rio handles which i love and is my primary plane,a
veritas lowangle smother which i use for jointing ,a LN low angle block
plane,and a verutas apron plane which is is my primary block palne.
i also have a number of stanly block planes which i use around the shop
for diferent stuff.

in my opinion and this is what i was taught you need as long a plane as
poss for jointing but i suppose it depends on your jointing method.

But that said i use my low angle smoother for jointing and thats about the
length of a no 5 and get fine results. i have found that i can joint a back
in a couple of swipes with a number 7 when i have used one (it takes a
little longer with the veritas).

Joel.[/QUOTE]
I have seen a video clip online probably youtube of a guy joing tops with a simple block plane and freehanding it. Meaning no shooting board or special jigs. just held the wood over the edge of the bench. So i guess whatever way you do it is fine a long as the end results work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=Aoibeann] [QUOTE=FishtownMike]

Mike, Utilikilts are just around the corner from where Sweetie works. I could hook you up if you are interested. I know of several guys that wish they could wear them to work.[/QUOTE]
I have the Scotish blood in me that would make this ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Scottish...wheres that edit button?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: kurt
Last Name: thomas
City: colden
State: ny
Zip/Postal Code: 14033
Utilikilts? How could these not have caught on yet, wait til Carhart buys them out and has them on the cover of next Christmas seasons catalog. Hear they'll be looking for some models...........anyone?

Kurt Thomas

"There's a first time for everything even if you do it by mistake."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
I don't have the knees for that. Also, if I got a red one, I would look like a USA ad with the white skin and the blue veins in my legs.  Not a pretty sight.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lillian
Last Name: Fuller-Watson
State: WA
[QUOTE=KThomas] Utilikilts? How could these not have caught on yet, wait til Carhart buys them out and has them on the cover of next Christmas seasons catalog. Hear they'll be looking for some models...........anyone?[/QUOTE]

Kurt, the guys over at Utilikilts are way ahead of you The workman's kilt

Hesh, I know a guy in Denver that rides he motorcycle in one. If you check out the different styles, the conveniently located snap has made such madness possible. I could ask Earl if any of the guys wear them at his station if you would like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:07 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks all for the input on hand planes. Got the "blue" sanding belts coming from Lee Valley. So more flattening to go! Also pulled out an old #5 Bailey that my Mom gave me a couple of years ago. Forgot about this one. Hey, now I have two. It actually looks better than the original one we talked about, the #4.
My wife (who never has looked at this site)got a charge out of reading all the posts. She was surprised that so many people were ready help. Thanks agin everyone!
Dave