Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:44 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=Arnt] I don't know if the table saw is that dangerous, despite all the reports of accidents with them. They are probably the most common, and one of the most frequently used pieces of stationary machines in most woodworking shops (although many guitar makers do fine without one). More units, more users = more accidents.

One machine that scares the c**p out of me is the shaper; now there is one efficient finger eater![/QUOTE]

Table saw will take fingers. Shaper will take your hand. I won't use a shaper, it's strictly a tool for a professional cabinet maker in my opinion. I'll stick with a router table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
[QUOTE=Howard Klepper] Keep the tablesaw blade completely below the top of the insert when you aren't cutting. [/QUOTE]

Excellent advice- not only for safety's sake, but for avoiding damage to your blade. Or, perhaps I'm the only person who ends up using the saw table as a bench and storage area from time to time...

Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
re: Tablesaws-
In the talk about push sticks and the like, I forgot to mention that I consider an outfeed table an essential addition to a tablesaw. It doesn't have to be fancy- even a 'temporary', jury-rigged outfeed table will soon convince you of its utility.
My saw has about 5 feet of outfeed table. Without it, the longest safe cut that can be made on my (typical contractor-style) saw is about 20 inches.
Push sticks should be for pushing, and the weight of the work should be supported by the table.
I also have an infeed table on the saw, but this isn't so important for safety's sake.

Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Respect for the tools is really the key when it comes to safety.

I spent a couple of years working in a cabinet shop. I've used almost every big shop power tool out there.

The biggest issue with safety when using power tools is really learning the proper way to use them.

The make you get a license to drive a car, but anyone can go to the borg or any tool supplier for that matter and buy any power tool that's on the show room store. I feel that any power tool should come with a mandatory introduction to using and maintaining the machine.

As far as shapers go, feed rollers really make them much less "scary" to use. Keep the hands away and you'll always have them.

Power tools take more than common sense. They require your full attention and knowledge of how to properly use them.

If in doubt, seek out a seasoned woodworker (maybe a couple) before turning on that new 3HP table saw, or 17" re-saw.

One thing I bet would save some fingers, use the right tool for the job. You don't want to be ripping plywood on your bandsaw or trying to cut curved pieces on your table saw.

Learn the proper technique in using your tools and when your dead (from other reasons,not your tools), you'll most likely still have all your digits.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:24 am 
Koa
Koa

I'm much more afraid of my band saw than my table saw. If a table saw has spooked you, you, a) were using a dull blade or, b) had the fence set anything but dead square or, c) were cutting reaction wood with either of the other factors, or d) were using a long push stick, or e) all of the above.And if you're building canoes, the saw will be setup very different, and use a very different blade than for building guitars. I thought this was  luthier's forum? If you build canoes, good for you, but stop and re-think what you're doing when you fire up the tool for instrument making.bandsaws make me shudder every time I use them.... Quiet, sneaky *********.My most frightening tool? The thickness sander. Imagine getting your hand into the back side and having it pull your arm in, instantly!The tool that I hurt myself with most often? Fresh cut wood. 90% of my cuts come from handling fresh cut hardwoods....The only stitches I've ever needed were caused by a hand saw(I was 9 or 10 and making myself a little boat) My only visible scar on my hand? A slip of the cabinet scraper. Don't underestimate hand tools..BTW:New saws have their "on" switch such that it cannot be activated with anything other than a single finger inserted into it, or by flipping it up. Home brewed hinged switch covers are okay, but look into a new switch. The cost isn't terrible. And the new ones should be magnetic switches. If the power should go off or the breaker trip, the machine won't be activated when you reset the breaker.  With a regular switch, if the work is still in the blade, and you reset the breaker, your work has just been tossed across the shop, hopefully not into a person standing there looking at it.... And on that note, if the power should fail, kill the main breaker to your shop if you were working at the time. You don't want "stuff" coming back on when you're not there. Glue pots, table saws, whatever. Just kill the breaker, and reset it once you're back in there.
<div style=": ; width: 28px; height: 28px; : 1000; display: none;">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:24 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Focus: Build
John A: Good advice on the outfeed table. I don't do this and I should.

Perhaps this can be generalized to "Don't take shortcuts."

I cut Bakelite on a big table saw for an entire summer. It was the only job in the entire factory where you could take breaks anytime you felt like it. If you felt your concentration slip you could break and regroup. You could also structure your day to mix up your jobs to keep your mind fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's a good read on wood shop safety.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

My worst injuries have come on the belt sander, when I applied pressure with my fingers facing the movement of the belt rather than running with the belt's movement.

Re table saw: you actually need a third vector when ripping: some pressure against the fence. A feather board can be the third hand, or else one of your other two hands has to apply pressure in two planes.

I use my table saw so much more since I took Mario's advice and got the 7-1/2" blades. Thanks again, Mario.

When I have been hurt by a machine (still have 10 working digits), in retrospect there was a little voice telling me that I wasn't quite set up yet, but I wanted to go forward and ignored it. I think this is a common experience. Most of the time you get away with it; but that voice must always be heeded.

Another parable: Legendary woodturner Bob Stocksdale (who worked into his 80's) was asked in an interview the secret of his longevity as a woodworker. He wiggled his 10 fingers at the interviewer and said, "I always quit work at 3pm."

When all else fails, clean the shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:38 am 
Koa
Koa

Where do I pick up one of those thin kerf 7 1/2" blades?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
I get mine at Sears or Lowes or Home Depot. They are made by Freud, called Diablo.