Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:01 am 
Koa
Koa

How Big Was The Recent Sumatra Quake?

The recent Sumatra earthquake displaced a section of the ocean floor over 700 miles long and 10 miles wide, nearly 100 feet upward. An equal amount of ocean water on the order of 135 cubic miles was moved violently upward and outward. This massive plunger type motion created huge tsunami waves that brought devastation to coastlines 4,000 miles away. On a map of the world it is hard to gain a sense of how big this thing was. So, on a map of the United States AccuWeather.com has placed the entire length of the fault segment that shifted. As you can clearly see, it is huge covering a distance from Chicago all the way to Denver or from New York City all the way to St Louis.

A devastating earthquake occurred in the Indian Ocean just off the coast of Sumatra Saturday night. The quake, rated at a magnitude 9.0, is the most powerful recorded worldwide since 1964. Taking place at a depth of 6.2 miles below the surface of the ocean, the quake caused a severe deformation in the seafloor which displaced 135 cubic miles of water upward and outward much like what a massive plunger would do. This created massive waves called tsunamis that moved outward in all directions bringing devastation and even death to coastlines up to 4,000 miles away.

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:47 am 
Koa
Koa

State: BC
This story is whats going to happen when (not if) the plates off the pacific coast shiftWest Coast Tsunami

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:55 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=Jason] This story is whats going to happen when (not if) the plates off the pacific coast shiftWest Coast Tsunami[/QUOTE] My luck it will happen 6 mos. after I move there.

remember...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
If so where are thinking of living? I'm east of the Sacramento area in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Cool, Ca near Auburn in the heart of the Gold Country. About 5 miles from Sutters (Coloma) Mill(the place where California gold was discovered back in 1848).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:10 am 
Koa
Koa

I have been seriously considering it. I love CA. especially Sonoma. But I am partial only because I have not seen the rest. I am sure there are some really beautiful parts that are being kept secret. Sounds like you are in a real beautiful part as well.

remember...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've spent the last 30 years teaching and doing research in geology at various Universities mainly at home in the UK but also in the USA. One of my colleagues studies volcano induced Tsunami, in particular he is looking at the possibility of a very large chunk of Las Palma breaking off due to water lubricating the dyke system during an eruption. the effect of half the Island sliding into the water could be a Tsunami spreading across the north atlantic which computer models show could rise to >500ft high when it passes over the Eastern USA continental shelf and impacts the US east coast. The Indian ocean tsunami was about 20ft. There would be many hours warning and it's not expected for many thousands of years so it shouldn't affect real estate prices

I'd be more worried about the super-volcano under Yellowstone Park!Colin S38362.5270601852

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Very scary stuff!

remember...