Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

Have you ever tried running through a swimming pool? no matter how hard you try, you just can't go fast...

Well that's how I feel with this shop, everything that can go wrong has and if something could be back ordered or out of stock it was....

So after 6 weeks of my dust collection parts being on back order I finally got grumpy and worked out a deal with Penn State, we made some mods to my plans and the parts shipped out (a week late but they shipped). In the meantime we traveled to Seattle to attend a Rhino 3d Cad class, when I got there (after a 500 mile drive and a hotel search because the one that looked so good on expedia was a dump to put it kindly), I find out that they made a mistake and signed me up for the Auto-Cad course!!

The plan was to be in seattle this week and then start on the shop next week, well since our trip was a bust, we visited some friends, shopped for boat parts and drove back. On tuesday my order arrived and to my dismay they left out the most critical parts, by this time I was ready to just drive to Penn State and pick it up myself, my wife took over and the next day I finally had all my parts (Penn State made good on the mistake).

During this time I had someone look at the garage door since it's been busted since we moved in, it took him all of 3 minutes to tell me I needed a new one. So after getting the evil eye from the wife another $850 of my shop funds went poof and they will be here monday to install the new door. On the bright side it will have a much higher R-Rating and help keep the shop cooler.

Also I discovered while laying out the ductwork that the shop walls HAD NO INSULATION!!! So a week ago we rented a blower, grabbed some attic insulation and drilled holes in each cavity and filled them with the ground newspaper stuff they blow into attics. Not the best choice but I'm running low on funds and I was afraid of what foam would cost me...

Now here's where the real fun starts, last week we sheduled 4 companies to bid on installing a small air conditioner in the shop. The highest bid was a guy who wanted to install a system in the attic, nice system but it would have ran me $6k, the lowest was a split unit where the ac unit is on the wall (like a space heater) and the condenser sits on a pad, lowest price was $3400 . So I got frustrated and started doing some research and found that you can buy the units online for about $1000, so I was getting charged $2500 for installation!!! You can guess what happened next I ordered a unit and all the fittings, the instructions are online and I looked them over and it's pretty simple to install. So all it will take is for me to install and then a service guy to come and inspect and charge the unit and I'll be set. The unit I'm getting is rated double for the shop and I did that because some things in the shop generate heat AND (here's the cool part) these units have de-humidifiers built in and can pull 6 gallons an hour!!! Whoo Hooo!!

I was expecting the CNC this week, my machine is done and they have been testing it, apparently they have a new controller board upgrade and I'm the first customer to get one so I have to wait another week while they work out the final details. The cool thing is that they run a FULL set of tests and they promised me it would be perfect before it got here, so even being impatient I'm happy to wait for them to get it all perfect

Finally I spent the week running duct work, if you do this I have some advice:

1. Make sure no small children are around, besides the fact that this is sheet metal and cuts fingers easily it's also a pain and you will make up new swear words.

2. Get someone to help hold things, after I got bonked the 3rd time I dragged my oldest out to help.

3. Buy a metal shear gun, I have an air powered one. I cut one tube by hand and that was it, I headed to Harbor Freight and never looked back.

4. Buy two extra of EVERYTHING... just trust me on this ;)

5. Self tapping metal screws are your friends.....

So despite all my whining the shop is super super close, the last item for us was a new table saw but it's on hold because of the garage door. I have %85 of the ductwork run, I'm wiring it up tomorrow and I have one more order for the last parts and I will button it up this coming week. That just leaves the air-conditioner and a couple of cabinets and I'm done and can start building (actually as soon as the new door is in I'll be able to start).

So here are some pictures from today, it's a mess out there but it's SOOOOO close, the system is actually very quiet when running which is very nice, you can't even hear the air compressor unless it's very quiet. It's exactly what I was hoping for, now to finish the details and get busy building, my contract with Adobe is up September 28th and the VERY next day I'm full time in the shop building guitars. Later on I'll post the story about how my first fan fret came back for a new neck, lets just say that players SHOULD NEVER be allowed to work on their guitars....

Let's start here, this is where the ductwork comes into the shop from the outside shed, the black grate is the exhaust that lets air back into the shop, I ran two 7" pipes to accomplish this. But it works and you get quite a breeze from the exhaust.

This is the floor sweep, it allows me to sweep the shop into the dust collection system.

This is the ambient dust collector and on the wall is a double gate unit for hooking up to the rolling tables. The system is writed so that when you pull a gate the Dust Collector comes on automatically and off when you close the gate.

This is right above the workbench, I wanted one for routers and other things and I didn't want to drag collection tubes everywhere.

This is the ductwork running across the shop to the CNC table, the end is open because I need another part to finish this section but all the other pieces are done and ready for the part when it arrives.

This is the new CNC table, it's storing junk right now while I finish the ductwork, but the computer is installed and working

It has storage for tools and drawers for CNC parts.

It also has a roll out shelf for the computer, and a sealed door when closed to keep dust off the PC.

The 'Drawer' above the computer is actually a pull out shelf for a small wireless keyboard (on back-order of course).

I'll post final pics once everything is done and we finish putting stuff away, I talked to Kevin Ryan about his setup table and he was very gracious and I now have a working design for it. As soon as these last little things are done I'll get cracking on that, and once the CNC gets here I'll post pictures of it and it's setup. I was told it comes in a 200 lb wood crate and that I should have some extra hands or a fork lift for it . Instead I threatened my boys into helping when it gets here ...

I think once the shop is done I'm going to post a sign that says the following:

"Murphy has left the building, he ran out of things to do to me!"

Cheers

-Paul-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wow, Paul, it looks really good. That's going to function well for you, I'm sure. Very neat work, but that's the hallmark of a luthier. Very anxious to see what you start turning out up there. Also great to see you posting again, keep the updates coming.

Ron

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
Very impressive dust collection system you have going there Paul. I'm envious of your shop.It's looking Reaaalllllly Good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Where's all the wood????

Looking great Paul. I'm totally envious. If I had a garage, I would do the same, but alas I'm relegated to the basement. I'm going to go with one of those small portable air conditioner units to start with, since they cool and dehumidify at the same time, and don't require ventilation I'm told. We'll see....

Please tell us all about the CNC you're getting. Inquiring minds want to know. Mine specifically.
Don Williams38927.3047222222

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: Tripp
City: Olympia
State: Washington
Zip/Postal Code: 98506
Focus: Build
Dang Paul, Can I come move in with you? Let's see, Boise... I can be there in about 6-7 hours.

Looks really good!

-Mark

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

trippguitars.com
OR
Find me on Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wow Paul, it sure looks good, hope everything comes soon and you can get back to building. Your a very patient man I think.

I agree Mark, but Boise is about a 16 hr drive for me. I sure would like to see that shop of your some time Paul.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:41 am 
Koa
Koa

Very Cool Shop Paul... I even like the colour!!!
The only thing I'd change is the peg board. (I really hate that stuff) I've never bothered to figure out a good way to keep the tool pegs from falling out or wearing out the holes & getting wobbly.
I like the security of a sheet of ply or MDF with nails or screws & those nice rubber coated, screw-in, hanger upper thingies.
You mentioned rolling tables... I assume they are perforated for dust collection??? got a pic for us?
I'm just finishing one for my shop but I want it mobile, so i'm planning to install a dedicated shop-vac under the table.
I REALLY like the wired blast gates! Beats the heck out of running around closing all the open gates & turning on the collector. I'd use the collector a lot more (for those quick jobs) if I had your set-up!
P.S. Where'd you find the cool air hose reel? I need one of those bad!Daniel M38927.5311342593

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:09 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Paul,

That is going to be one awesome shop! You've put a lot of excellent brain power into that collection system. Good luck on the final details.

BTW, I think you may have insulted a Gypsy at some point before starting this shop. Seek magical help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:43 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=ToddStock] Very cool - next time I move, I am def doing the purpose-built shop.

Looks like you have a pretty good start on it, but consider cleaning and taping ALL bent metal seams (e.g., swivel joints in 45 or 90 degree turns. A large system can loose a surprising amount of aggregate CFM from fairly small leaks. You could also smoke-test the joints with the stuff that insulation installers use to find window/wall leaks, and tape the leakers.

FWIW, I clean even ABS or PVC ducting with naptha prior to taping, and that seems to do the trick on longevity.[/QUOTE]

What you don't see in the pictures is that EVERY single joint is sealed with silicon that PSI carries, anytime I have a junction it gets silicon and then metal tape to make sure it does not leak. I've done things like the sheet metal screws are always near the top out of the path of debris (where possible) and all straight pipe joints are up out of the way. I opted for the economy ductwork, if I ever do this again I'm going to use the good stuff. Nothing wrong with the economy stuff, but everytime I make a corner I have to silicone it and let it cure, it's a pain...

-Paul-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:47 am 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=Daniel M] Very Cool Shop Paul... I even like the colour!!!
The only thing I'd change is the peg board. (I really hate that stuff) I've never bothered to figure out a good way to keep the tool pegs from falling out or wearing out the holes & getting wobbly.
I like the security of a sheet of ply or MDF with nails or screws & those nice rubber coated, screw-in, hanger upper thingies.
You mentioned rolling tables... I assume they are perforated for dust collection??? got a pic for us?
I'm just finishing one for my shop but I want it mobile, so i'm planning to install a dedicated shop-vac under the table.
I REALLY like the wired blast gates! Beats the heck out of running around closing all the open gates & turning on the collector. I'd use the collector a lot more (for those quick jobs) if I had your set-up!
P.S. Where'd you find the cool air hose reel? I need one of those bad![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words.

The rolling tables are for tools, there is another post from me that gives details on them, almost all the tools in the shop are mobile at this point. I haven't done a sanding table yet but it's in the plans...

The Airhose reel came from Harbor Freight, it's total overkill as the line is 3/8" but they didn't make smaller reels with the retractable wheel. I was tired of tripping over air hose and the hassle of rolling it up, it's a monster unit.

-Paul-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:04 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Andy
Last Name: Zimmerman
City: San Diego
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92103
Focus: Build
Very cool shop.
I am envious, despite the difficulty.
i am sure bathroom man Hesh would pee if he had that one!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Daniel, you can get those hose reels from Princess Auto

Here you go

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Joe
Last Name: Breault
City: Merrimack
State: NH
Man, Paul, killer set up. You'll be cranking out the guitars in no time! I am totally green with envy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Paul,
That is very inspiring... my wife and I are in the process of getting our 2-car garage truly set up for luthing, and we are learning how much work is involved. I'm gonna take pictures of the process so we don't forget how much work it was

Right now we have cleared the garage and are getting things prepped so we can put an epoxy coating on the floor. Then, we are going to remove the paneling on the outside walls (much in bad shape), put in insulation, and put on new paneling. Then we get to paint the house-side wall to match - I'm tired already just typing about it

We have been thinking about doing an AC unit like you put in - glad to see we aren't the only ones it appealed to. And putting in a good dust collector - so your post really hit home to me. It's great to see things looking so good - give me hope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

[QUOTE=drfuzz] Paul,
That is very inspiring... my wife and I are in the process of getting our 2-car garage truly set up for luthing, and we are learning how much work is involved. I'm gonna take pictures of the process so we don't forget how much work it was

Right now we have cleared the garage and are getting things prepped so we can put an epoxy coating on the floor. Then, we are going to remove the paneling on the outside walls (much in bad shape), put in insulation, and put on new paneling. Then we get to paint the house-side wall to match - I'm tired already just typing about it

We have been thinking about doing an AC unit like you put in - glad to see we aren't the only ones it appealed to. And putting in a good dust collector - so your post really hit home to me. It's great to see things looking so good - give me hope

[/QUOTE]

Thanks All..

Your idea sounds good DrFuzz... One tip is to make sure you paint ALL the walls with a good enamel, we did the ceiling in a glossy bright white before we put up the lights and since we have done that I have not used any of my little desk lamps at all and I used to live by them. Also the paint helps with humidity control, it's still permeable but it's better than nothing or old chalky paint.

I'll post pics of the AC unit once it's installed, it should be here later this week we hope. I got %85 of the dust collection up and running today and I got the gates wired in, I couldn't find any golf balls but it will whip up large rocks (my wife just rolled her eyes). But we where able to clean the whole shop out today, and move all the stuff for the new garage door tomorrow morning, I'm really hoping that with a new modern insulated door the shop will stay cooler and then with the A/C I should be able to control both tempurature and humidity.

I ran out of parts yesterday and so I have to place one more order and the Dust Collection will be done (we just HAD to move some stuff around!!) so our goal is to be able to start building the UKE this weekend in preparation for the upcoming class. All this only leaves the CNC which they are testing some new things for me (it will be here next week) and a new table saw (getting a powermatic) and I'll be cooking. I may do some custom woodworking to pay the bills while I build guitars, there is certainly a market for it out here and we equipped the shop to be able to build furniture if we wanted too.

After the new door is installed I may re-epoxy part of the floor tomorrow afternoon, it's taken a total beating and needs to be cleaned up a bit and I might as well while I have all the tools moved for the new garage door.
It's pretty fast to epoxy since I already have decent coat down....

Cheers

-Paul-Sprockett38928.9986689815

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:34 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

[QUOTE=Hesh1956] Yes but can you go to the bathroom in your shop? [/QUOTE]

I don't think I want to to go there - and my wife DEFINITELY doesn't want me to go there

Paul - my wife wants me to tell you that she loves the floor sweep idea - we will definitely need something like that.drfuzz38929.4858680556