Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:53 am 
Koa
Koa

OK I admit it, I do attend weekly meetinfs for EBA, that is E-Bay Ananmous because I have been addicted for some time. Anyway, last week I bough a couple of Guild acoustic necks for $35 each. Gottal tell you I am very impressed with the quality of the Mahogany and I plan to put a new headstock veneer and then final shaping.

Point is, if any one needs some good necks with the headstock already shaped and the rest is rough so you still get to add your talent, these were a good buy. The gal selling them said she had 100 more on hand.

They are dovetail style and other than the headstock being shaped and truss rod installed, there is still some work to do.

For a minute or two I was considering changing my name to Rich Guild so I could use the headstock veneer and inlay which is also included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My first "real" guitar was a Guild. I had a D-40c with the florentine cutaway. It was a nice looking guitar, but tonally pretty dead compared to their non-cutaway guitars. I sold it to a friend and bought a LoPrinzi from another friend. I've always liked their necks though...but they tend toward being on the fat side.

The guy who sprays lacquer for me worked for Guild here in Rhode Island for years, in their repair departemnt, and also spraying laquer. He has bunches of spare parts from when they closed the doors and sold stuff off.
Don Williams39004.9059375

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
Focus: Build
Hesh-

I've got a 1976 Guild D-35 (Sitka/Mahogany dread) that has decent sound but it's pretty overbuilt. It has a great big fat neck that plays like butter though. I find it's amazing how forgiving we can be to a lesser sounding guitar if it has great action and a neck that fits our hand like a glove. It almost makes the guitar sound better - almost.    The guitar isn't worth much but it would be the last guitar I'd sell, if I had to.