Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 am 
Walnut
Walnut

[QUOTE=Don Williams]How much will the larger motor cost, and will it also have a mount for holding the spindle and also an easy way to attach to a Z-axis?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The 12VDC motor is approx. the same size and fits on the same style mount as the 110VAC motor mount, but the hole pattern to mount the motor is slightly closer on the 12VDC and they can not be interchanged.

Thanks,

Richard S.

WolfgangEngineering.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:12 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: John
Last Name: Watkins
City: Lake Zurich
State: IL
Focus: Build
Wolfgang, my friend, you need a marketing guy. People are practically begging for a little info on how to make this work with their setup so that they can give you their money and your answers are pretty vague.

How are these things typically implemented into spindle, router, blank Z situations? What other components are needed? What of these do you offer? What is the availability and cost? Where can we get the things you don't provide?

Work the group, dude. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Good points John... a little, or rather a lot of information brings great results. I've ordered the TB-350S by the way, and am looking forward to seeing it in hand. Of course it's going to be months before I actually see it working, but it seems like a great little spindle for a ot of my needs. Now to figure out how I'm going to add that 4th axis for it.   

Kidding...but I have to figure out how to easily swap out the router mount for the spindle mount, or come up with a mount that will handle both somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's a crazy idea. For those of us stuck with a PC 690/890-style router, one option might be a 3.5" aluminum cylinder with an internal bracket of some kind to hold the .750" spindle dead-center.

This cylinder could then be clamped in the standard PC 690/890 router mount. Ideally this cylinder would also have a way to hold the motor, belt/pulley system as well and make it a single unit for ease of use.

My mounting plate is wide enough where I could probably mount this spindle next to my router, and operate either one independantly. Just have to figure out the offsets and it would be another way to have both tools at the ready.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Smart. How about that Richard? Is that something you can create? I have the K2 mount that Steve is referring to, and it would be great if it could be adapted to hold the TB-350s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:59 am 
Walnut
Walnut

[QUOTE=John Watkins]Wolfgang, my friend, you need a marketing guy. People are practically begging for a little info on how to make this work with their setup so that they can give you their money and your answers are pretty vague.

How are these things typically implemented into spindle, router, blank Z situations? What other components are needed? What of these do you offer? What is the availability and cost? Where can we get the things you don't provide?

Work the group, dude. :)

[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how offended I should be with this comment. I am a one man crew working 10 to 14 hours a day,... everyday, so the last thing I need is a "marketing guy".

All the information and basic tooling to get these spindles going is provided. The products are focused for the majority of my customer base (Engraver, Jewelry Makers, Model Designer, Prototypers, PCB's...ect). I do my best to help with questions and custom designs, but I can only do so much at once in a day.

I sincerely apologize if this offends anyone, but I hope you can understand were I'm coming from. If you have a specific question about a design please email me directly at: Wolfgang314@hotmail.com.

I'll do my best to answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Richard S.

WgE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:11 am 
Walnut
Walnut

[QUOTE=Steve Spodaryk]Here's a crazy idea. For those of us stuck with a PC 690/890-style router, one option might be a 3.5" aluminum cylinder with an internal bracket of some kind to hold the .750" spindle dead-center.

This cylinder could then be clamped in the standard PC 690/890 router mount. Ideally this cylinder would also have a way to hold the motor, belt/pulley system as well and make it a single unit for ease of use.

My mounting plate is wide enough where I could probably mount this spindle next to my router, and operate either one independantly. Just have to figure out the offsets and it would be another way to have both tools at the ready.

Steve[/QUOTE]

This sound like a possible design. I may have a problem with the 3.5" cylinder. I only have a Sherline lathe and don't think I could get it to fit. If you sent me a sketch of how it would look in full this would help greatly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard S.

WgE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 am 
Koa
Koa

My comments were meant tongue in cheek, Richard, so please don't be offended. I just (jokingly) meant that it would be nice for you if someone else fielded all the questions that we are throwing at you.

All that aside, between Rick and I we've asked four times about pulleys. I guess I'll just review the information you mentioned when the spindle arrives.

Again, sorry if I stepped on toes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:13 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
Spindle mount
This fellow could probably make a spindle mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I'll repost.

[QUOTE=Wolfgang]

[QUOTE=Rick Turner]I'll ask again...

Can you make a pulley on a 1/2" or 3/4" precision shaft for mounting in a spindle or router collet?   That would allow driving from the spindle already on my machine.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't get to your question the first time.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. Sounds easy enough. Go ahead and send me an email at: Wolfgang314@hotmail.com and we'll iron out the details.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Richard S.

WgE.

[/QUOTE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:05 am 
Koa
Koa

Sorry, I missed that. My mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:53 am 
Koa
Koa

The good news is, the one I received has only .0001" of runout at the collet holder and .0002" on the shank of a chucked tool (which could be the tool, not the collet). Either way, that's unbelievably good for $150.

The only hiccup is that I actually received the wrong spindle, but I have contacted Richard about it and I'm sure it was just an oversight. There was also no additional information, tooling, or belt included, but again this is no big deal and easily remedied.

I'll report back again once I've actually run one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Impressive...very impressive.

Thanks for the report John.

I was just notified that mine is being shipped today. I can't wait to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

I heard back from Richard. Apparently, I received the right spindle, but with the wrong finish. It had the palm sander type finish of his aluminum models. From his response; "The batch of stainless I received had scratches too deep to bring the body to a high finish"

So, I just polished it up myself. Here it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Looks good. Nice polishing job.

So how easy is it to change cutters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:41 am 
Koa
Koa

I finished my pulley. The ratio is 1:2.777 giving me 50K rpm from 18k rpm. It'll be a while before I have time to try this thing out, but I borrow time at my buddy's machine shop for stuff like this, so when the machine is available, I jump on it.

Here's the pulley...

And just for fun, here's the machine we did it on....
think it might have been a little bit of overkill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

John, are you chucking that into another spindle or router? Nice work!

I think the lathe may have been a little undersized for that part though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I got mine in the mail today. It too has that "palm sander" finish, which I will wet sand and buff out to a nice polish.
One suggestion for Richard is to include a simple piece of paper to explain the workings of it, and also include an allen wrench, which I assume is how it tightens down on a bit? Without instructions, I'm a bit clueless about how to use it.

It's a tiny little thing, but I like it. It seems perfect for inlay work, and with triple ceramic bearings, it can probably handle that task nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

Don, yes I'll be putting it in my spindle.

I wouldn't wet sand it. Water will destroy it.

The allen screw draws the collet inward, tightening it. It's basically a two wrench system like any router except there's only one wrench. You have to grab the housing with a pair of pliers in order to get it more than hand tight. A couple of flats on that housing and a stamped wrench would help a lot, but that's a lot more work on something that has to be well balanced. When grabbing both parts, the collet can still just spin in it's receiver, so if it's not loosening, that's why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yikes! No wet sanding... thanks for the head's up on that.
Won't you need some extra Z height to mount this and use your spindle to drive it? Then again, it's not that much with this being so small. I guess you would just re-adjust your Z-zero with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Don, I have a fair bit of Z height and Z travel, so it won't be a problem. Z-zero is set prior to every new operation, regardless of tooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey John, anything new on the spindle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hey Nelson, it's ready to go, I just haven't used it yet. But, I'll be cutting three full size sheets of Ablam next week, so it should get a pretty good workout. I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 am 
Walnut
Walnut

The adapters posted look great. Another option I have been eying is the use of a Proxxon Rotary Grinder. I believe the run out is .001 and runs at 20k rpm max. I have seen the Proxxon mounted side by side on a standard mill I am sure it can be used side by side on a router based mill too. retails for $104 plus has a good range of Collet's.

It does have a 45 deg adapter so if some one wanted to try a jewelers blade for cutting frets its possible. But your on your own there. They do make one with a 45deg angle but the assembly is very close to the body.

I have been looking at the possibility of using this setup to cut inlay and the corresponding headstock pocket on a small mill. Many people use this setup for engraving and the feedback has been good. Speeds are high and the Proxxon is made for extended use. An adapter plate would be needed ;you cant thread it on like a dremel. Not unlike the adapters I see for mounting the spindles mentioned here.

Random picture from the first web site I could find witha picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:59 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey woodenspoke