Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
People tend to overdo the water cooling requirement on the VFD spindles.
All that is needed is a small reservoir setting next to the machine and containing a submersible pump.
Think "aquarium" as mentioned above. I used a clear plastic cat litter container myself.
The pump only needs to put out a few ounces per minute and that is about all the restriction within the spindle water jacket will allow.
Be sure the pump has enough head (pressure) to circulate the water. I set mine up about level with the spindle so that isn't a problem.
Running clear plastic tubing like 3/16" ID with a little food coloring in the water will let you see that the coolant is circulating.
I've seen pix of some of the overkill rigs like a heat exchanger , flow monitors etc. also.
I've not been able to make my 2.2KW spindle warmer than ambient even when running it as hard as I can.
Of course I've only been able to pull about 4-5 amps with the 11 amp rated motor so maybe I haven't given it a good test.
These VFD spindles are workhorses and will put a router motor to shame.
Nelson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

npalen wrote:
People tend to overdo the water cooling requirement on the VFD spindles.
All that is needed is a small reservoir setting next to the machine and containing a submersible pump.
Think "aquarium" as mentioned above. I used a clear plastic cat litter container myself.
The pump only needs to put out a few ounces per minute and that is about all the restriction within the spindle water jacket will allow.
Be sure the pump has enough head (pressure) to circulate the water. I set mine up about level with the spindle so that isn't a problem.
Running clear plastic tubing like 3/16" ID with a little food coloring in the water will let you see that the coolant is circulating.
I've seen pix of some of the overkill rigs like a heat exchanger , flow monitors etc. also.
I've not been able to make my 2.2KW spindle warmer than ambient even when running it as hard as I can.
Of course I've only been able to pull about 4-5 amps with the 11 amp rated motor so maybe I haven't given it a good test.
These VFD spindles are workhorses and will put a router motor to shame.
Nelson

OK, that's exactly what I was wondering. Those machines with the elaborate setups are what got me wondering.

The smaller ones don't look all that bad either. They are still around about 2 hp. Of course then I'm back to the ER11 collet. duh
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AIR-COOLE-MOTOR-SPINDLE-1-5KW-AND-MATCHING-INVERTER_W0QQitemZ370295380787QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5637531b33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Anyone have new info on this kit? I still get an update from George about once a week, but no ship date yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am 
Walnut
Walnut

wakeskateordie wrote:
Anyone have new info on this kit? I still get an update from George about once a week, but no ship date yet.

I'm in the same boat. He's very good about communication but no ship date yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:52 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've got an estimated ship date for early Feb, but then again that's when I asked for it to be shipped (I'm out of the country the entire month, so I'd like it to arrive when I'm back at some point, as sea freight is a bit more complex than the mailman in terms of holding items). Upgraded to Gecko drives and additional rails on the X axis for stabilisation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Mattia Valente wrote:
I've got an estimated ship date for early Feb, but then again that's when I asked for it to be shipped (I'm out of the country the entire month, so I'd like it to arrive when I'm back at some point, as sea freight is a bit more complex than the mailman in terms of holding items). Upgraded to Gecko drives and additional rails on the X axis for stabilisation.

I went for the Gecko and extra X axis as well. That Gecko G520 looks like a great!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Southwick, MA
Oddly enough, I found George's link while researching the joes' CNC option. I'm in the same boat with Mattia, I may be able to build a Joe's for a "little" less, but not without major scrounging. I would rather get it and assemble it myself...This looks like a heckuva value. I'll be interested to see how you guys do with these machines...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:14 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Stanwood
City: Yarmouth
State: Nova Scotia, Canada
anybody recieved a machine from George yet? I have money set aside for a 30 x 48 but am waiting to see some reviews first. Seems like a pretty good deal for what you get anyways but I am a complete cnc newbie so I could be wrong :)

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

After a lot of consideration, I went witht he Joe's CNC plan and I'm glad I did. There's a great forum witha tone of support and I don't have to settle for a smaller machine to fit my budget. With the Rack and Pinion mods I can get a cutting area greater that 4X4 and build it for less than $2500. Works for me!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mitch,

Joe's CNC machine is a very good design, very popular, and a lot of folks are using it with GREAT success!!

Good decision, and best of luck with it!

:D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Rick
Last Name: Hubka
City: Chemainus
State: BC
Zip/Postal Code: V0R 1K1
Focus: Build
Hey Mitch

I'm building a Joe's 4x4 with the Rack & Pinion modification too.

I'm still collecting parts and building my 2X2 steel frame bed like Joe's.
Hope to start assembly in about 3 weeks when the 6' racks arrive.
I'll be watching your build on Joe's Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey Rick - Yeah, I saw your posts over on Joe's forum - I've started my base since I'm making mine out of wood - have the Racks on order from Diane at Moore Gear and will be getting the rest of the parts when the bonus check comes in March - hopefully! Seems to be a lot of guys just starting on the R&P build. What are you going to use for drivers and motors?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi Mitch

Drivers - I bought a Geckodrive G540 when they were on sale before Christmas ($100 off).

I ordered 4 of 380 oz-in Nema 23 Stepper Motors when I ordered the 3 Rack and Pinion Drive kits from Ahren
at http://www.cncrouterparts.com. I ordered the 48V 12.5A Power Supply and cables from Ahren too.
I too am waiting for my rack from Diane at Moore Gear.

I have been emailing back and forth with Mark from 8020inc on eBay today about ordering my
3 of 8020 T Slot Aluminum Extrusion 25 S 25-5010 x 72 N (3 X 71.15 = $213.45 U.S.)
The shipping to Canada via UPS will add $97.00 to that plus duty and brokerage, But what the hell, I just have to bite the bullet and pay it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Yep - I"m doing the exact same setup - 'cept I'll have a 201 or 203 on a separate BOB driving the 4th axis with a little bigger motor...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mitch Cain wrote:
Yep - I"m doing the exact same setup - 'cept I'll have a 201 or 203 on a separate BOB driving the 4th axis with a little bigger motor...

Me too. 4th axis with a little bigger motor, except I'm going to wait several months before doing the 4th. This whole process is somewhat over whelming to me and I want to keep it simpler when I first start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Got my CNC machine from George this week.

I've only had a chance to screw it together havent mounted the motors yet.

So far it seems very well made everything went together well, each axis seems to move smooth, and I cant find any play.

Very easy to assemble for sure.

I'll know a lot more once I get the motors in and start to get everything going of course.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Chris :-P

I decided to go with the HiWin rails upgrade, so a little bit more waiting..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Does anyone know how or if this purchase worked out and if it is a good machine or not?

Mike