Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You all know I used WIDE purfling all the time. Here is a tutorial on how I did it. My purfling was usually around 5/16" wide and usually overlapped the INSIDE of the kerfing. Here's how I did it.
I made a jig from an old Stew-Mac violin purfling cutter like this...

I also used carbide "burr bits" that were very sharp.

Set the depth for 1/2 the depth of the top at the edge and routed the inside cut. Doesn't much matter which way you rout as it's a burr, but I used to follow my pencil lines and arrows to get the proper cut direction.

Note the little plexiglass "mount" that sits on the top. It's screwed to the jig with a few 2-56 bolts.

I used to freehand rout the outside scrap off to end up with a nice ledge.

The real secret of the whole setup is taking the time to carefully file that inside ledge smooth. A 1/8" piece of spruce cut to the waist shape with 120 grit glued to it takes care of the waist.

Ledge was removed by very sharp chisel or just routed off freehand.

Binding ledge was cut with a Stew-Mac setup and also cleaned up with a file just to be sure.

Purfling was always installed, then it was filed a tiny bit if needed.

Finally, the binding was installed separately.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post (total 3): J De Rocher (Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm) • Colin North (Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 am) • Bryan Bear (Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Nice one Haans, thanks for that.
Just wondering, how much the kerfing is deeper than the purfling ledge to support the top, if at all?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well, thanks Colin, but I just moved most of it.
Works out to just about even, 5/16" being about .31" plus .080 binding. Doesn't much matter as purfling and glue is just as strong as the spruce itself, if not stronger. Never had one break apart. Don't think it bothered Larson's much either. Thickness around the rim on my 6 strings end up around .080"+, so the ledge is around .045" or so...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Thank you Sir!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Theo
Last Name: Delaca
City: Fbks
State: Ak
Zip/Postal Code: 99712
Thanks,

I'm curious about your choice of tape? I haven't come across duct/duck tape used before? Reasoning? Product? Clean up, residue issues? Is it a good option for binding tape in general?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I used it for a while because it really stretched. It was a real HD duct tape too. No clean up problems because it was actually rolled off. I liked it better in that respect than strapping tape...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Theo (Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Howell
City: Atlanta
State: Ga
I like the look of wide red and black designs shown on Hanns' site and here. I have experimented with several combinations of bloodwood and black, and maple. Then other blocks with cherry, osage orange, jatoba, and sapele added, so I can combine them as desired for different effects with other woods. I am using blond shellac to finish and find I must apply finish to see the true color of the wood. I also am a little color blind in red/brown, just the shades I am working with.

This week I applied the back stripe on a curly maple L-00 under construction. Hope to close it up this weekend and will post pictures.

I found bloodwood was available at my favorite wood store, but no red heart and solid holly scarce but I have collected a lot of curly and birds eye maple over the years, from pure compulsion. Also had lots of cherry, sapele, jatoba and walnut. Also have big pieces of osage from 28" log cut 22" for bowl blanks. These colors leave me dizzy.