Walnut
Walnut

First name: Lawrence
Last Name: Uebbing
City: Yonkers,
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 10705
Focus: Build
This is my first build and I want to get it right so I'm looking for some tips. I will be duplicating a '59 Les Paul Jr shape. I have a Honduras mahogany blank, 22"x14"x2" for my body. The rest of the guitar will not be an exact replica since I want to make the guitar "mine", but I really like the body shape. I'll be putting on a mahogany neck (set-in) but not the '50's "fat" neck, probably the early '60's slim taper.
I don't have the means to plane the blank down to 1 3/4" so I'm keeping the shape but shrinking the body down an 1" or 1 1/2" to keep the weight down.
What is the best tool for cutting out the body/neck? Is a band saw essential or would a high quality jigsaw be acceptable? I don't have either, I'm going to buy based on feedback I get here. I plan on making more after this one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lillian
Last Name: Fuller-Watson
State: WA
If you have the money and the space, a band saw will serve you better than a jigsaw. That isn't to say you can't get it done with a jigsaw, but that it will go easier for you with a band saw. The band saw is just so much more versatile. BUT a crappy band saw can be just as frustrating as a crappy jigsaw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gabby
Last Name: Losch
City: Brookline
State: MA
+1 for bandsaw. I think it's safe to say that a bandsaw is universally preferred to a jigsaw if money isn't the primary factor. I got a 14" 1 HP Grizzly bandsaw for $250 and then bought a 4" riser block for less than $20. So for under $300 I can do careful resawing (not easily, mind you) and very effective body cuts, neck cuts, etc. If you're pressed for space, smaller bandsaws can also do great work for less money, and still better than a jigsaw in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Lillian F-W wrote:
If you have the money and the space, a band saw will serve you better than a jigsaw. That isn't to say you can't get it done with a jigsaw, but that it will go easier for you with a band saw. The band saw is just so much more versatile. BUT a crappy band saw can be just as frustrating as a crappy jigsaw.

Thanks. I expected a bandsaw to be preferred but space may be an issue. If I were to go with a jigsaw it would be high quality with the best blades I could find. I know I can get a used bandsaw for about the same price (maybe cheaper) as a new jigsaw but with a used tool I'm not sure it won't have unseen issues I might discover at the worst time. I appreciate the input.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Gabby Losch wrote:
+1 for bandsaw. I think it's safe to say that a bandsaw is universally preferred to a jigsaw if money isn't the primary factor. I got a 14" 1 HP Grizzly bandsaw for $250 and then bought a 4" riser block for less than $20. So for under $300 I can do careful resawing (not easily, mind you) and very effective body cuts, neck cuts, etc. If you're pressed for space, smaller bandsaws can also do great work for less money, and still better than a jigsaw in my opinion.

Thank you. I may have to go with smaller and it's good to know you think a smaller bandsaw is better than the jigsaw. Do you find 1 hp is enough power for a nice clean cut through 2" mahogany, assuming a good saw blade?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 am 
Koa
Koa

If you want a band saw and space is the issue, do some research on the older 3 wheeled saws. It should give you the depth you need for cutting out bodies. I've never used one or seen one up close, so I can't layout its' pros and cons. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Lillian F-W wrote:
If you want a band saw and space is the issue, do some research on the older 3 wheeled saws. It should give you the depth you need for cutting out bodies. I've never used one or seen one up close, so I can't layout its' pros and cons. Just a thought.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Filippo Morelli wrote:
If this is your first you may consider a few other options -

1) purchase some of the stuff pre-cut.

2) find a friend with a workshop and get a bit of help on the big tool items.

You can also chamber the body to reduce weight (versus making the body thinner).

Hope this helps,

Filippo

I'm looking to make the design slightly original so it's difficult to find pre-cut or "kit" items that match my plan. Also eventually I will have to do these things as I plan to keep building (not for profit but for pleasure).
Actually I do have a friend whose tools I plan to use...Uncle Sam. I'm retired military and some bases have workshops with every woodworking tool you could imagine and then some. I'm fairly new to my area so I have to research them.
I can't chamber this one since it's going to be a one piece flat top solid body. There's no cap to cover the chamber(s).
Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hooah!