Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: custom inlay questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I just received some custom inlay designs from stew-mac. They are much thinner than I thought they would be. I was planning on giving this fretboard a 16" radius, and the planned design would put the inlays in both the treble and bass side of the fretboard.

I'm assuming that since the pieces are so thin that I should radius the fretboard first, then glue and sand, yes?
And if so, what is the preferred method of doing so?
If not, what do y'all recommend?

I've drilled for dots before but this is my first custom inlay attempt, and I'm finding out it's no where near as simple as I thought it would be.

I'll have more questions after I get this first part figured out.
Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Most inlay material is 0.050 (not sure about StewMac, I buy most of mine from Andy DePaule). Most inlay material can be sanded so you can either do the inlay before the f/b is radiused or you can radius first and let the inlay stand a little proud towards the sides of the board, then sand it down flush. I assume you are talking about something like the Gibson blocks - I've had no problems placing them in 12 or 16 inch radius boards and sanding them flat.

If they are something like tree of life that wanders back and forth I would definitely radius the board first, then index the depth of your route off the curvature of the board.

Btw, DePaule does have a pretty good tutorial for doing complex work

http://www.luthiersupply.com/howto_page.html

and I think StewMac must also. One little trick you probably know is to mix a little powered ebony or rosewood or whatever your f/b is with the epoxy that you are setting them in - that will fill all the little gaps around the edges (doesn't work as well with light colored wood - tends to leave a dark line)

There are some pictures of doing both a fretboard and headstock inlay here

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... 633-/page5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
Focus: Build

I used this inlay set from DePaule a few years ago on a 16" radius. I glued the inlays then radiused the fretboard. With a single inlay such as these, you really don't have much choice since the shell won't flex over the radius. If the inlays are multi-piece, I'd radius first then glue them in. I like to set them nearly flush to avoid sanding through the top color/pattern as much as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Freeman wrote:
If they are something like tree of life that wanders back and forth I would definitely radius the board first, then index the depth of your route off the curvature of the board.

Could you please explain what you mean by indexing the depth of the route off the curvature? Are you aiming for the bottom of the routed recess to be flat? If so, how do you do that using a Dremel? I can see myself doing some complicated inlays in the future so I'm trying to picture how to get a flat bottom while routing on a radiused surface. Thanks.