Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Guitar Woods
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

This debate pops up on TalkBass, MIMF and this forum evry once in a while, and everyone has made some great points.

My opinion regarding solidbody instruments (FWIW): The impact of wood choice seems to be less important than pickup type & location, strings, etc. My Walnut/Mahogany Modulus bass has a different midrange content than a friend's quilt maple/alder modulus- all other things equal. In a stage mix, would I notice the difference? Probably not.
If a maker decided to use woods such as wenge, purpleheart and hard maple as a primary body wood, then the differences would be obvious. It would make a heavy bass, too!

But what if we're talking about a 100% carbon -fiber neck compared to a wooden one? To me, the difference in treble content between a standard P bass and one with a replacement CF neck is noticable.

I owned a Peavey T-40 in the 80's. In every setting, the bass cut through with a chunky midrange. I honestly can't attribute that to any one element of the construction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:19 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Dave
Focus: Build
cashmoney wrote:
Thanks for all the help with this, but has anyone made an solid body with oak? i can get it for free and i'm curious whether it sounds good in electrics

i have a american red oak Dean ML/Washburn dime body im working on at the mo
has 2mm walnut slices through at the glue joints, (where the joins were on the washburn)

if you aint done anything in oak yet.or before im done ill let you know. n probly provide mp3 sound clips

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jim
Last Name: Francis
City: Akron
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 44319
Focus: Build
From what I have done I noticed changes occur like this:

From most change to least (in relation to the final sound)

1. pickups (type and location)
2. electronics/pots
3. scale length
4. solid vs. hollow body
5. string gauges
6. type of wood in solid body
7. nut/bridge
8. quality of cable

This is assuming the preamp/amp is not coloring the sound at all which is impossible when you think about it

Speaking of that - I just installed some JBL K120's and what a HUGE difference they made. If you factor in the amp portion then I would now have to say:

1. pickups (type and location)
2. preamp/amp head
3. speakers (open or closed cabs)
4. electronics/pots
5. scale length
6. solid vs. hollow body
7. string gauges
8. type of wood in solid body
9. nut/bridge
10. quality of cable

Anyone use a Line 6 Pod? It really shows the changes in amp styles. I wish it included a selection of pickups to choose from but that would wouldn't really work would it? You would have to enter what pickups you are using and then have it change from there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Focus: Repair
I just did a set-up on an oak Peavey from the 80's with a maple neck, not sure of the model, but definitely an oakey. The tone was harsh, almost ice-picky, very trebly with lots of rip-your-face-off presence even with the short 24 inch scale. I can't say if it was the oak body, or the particular piece of maple used for the neck, or both. My gut is both. It had a pretty substantial bridge, too, which may have contributed. My thinking is there's probably a reason that most manufacturers of guitars have stayed away from oak, although some drum manufacturers have made some great soinding drum kits out of it. I'm sure the selection criteria for drums is different from guitars. You don't see many spruce drum kits out there...