Post subject: Narra Wood question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:35 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Frank
City: Saranac Lake
State: NY
Focus: Build
Ok have a couple chunks of Narra my dad gave to me that he had kicking around for 30 years in the basement from the the Phillipines. One piece of Red Narra and another of Yellow Narra. Anyways I was looking into some input on these woods as I really couldn't find anything on the web as far as tone properties. I plan on using both pieces in to many a couple solid bodies I like know if they are worth using before I start running em through the planer and cutting em up.

Post subject: Re: Narra Wood question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
Narra comes from the Solomon Islands. It is very similar in color to Koa. Beautiful shades of gold to golden brown. The sets have a gorgeous curly figure. Narra is in the same family as Padauk and is sometimes marketed as golden padauk or golden rosewood. Narra is also called New Guinea Rosewood. It is not a rosewood. It is easy to work and has a really nice tap tone...it is an underused wood but one I really like. If you have ever worked with Padauk it is the same in terms of stiffness and it bends on a Fox style bender with no problem. It has an open pore similar to Walnut and not as big a pore as Koa. One thing that will knock you out is that when you sand or cut it, it is as sweet a smell as most rosewoods. No matter how nice the pictures below look, it is much nicer in person. The overall color of the wood is gold tones but there can be streaks of pinks and reds in it as well. It catches the light as well as Koa so no matter what it will make a striking guitar. Narra is not imported as much as Padauk is but in most of its habitat it is not at risk. It is usually separated by distance from the Padauk as being in the same family they will cross pollinate and Paduak is desirable as solid and dark as possible. Hybridized Pterocarpus (the family they are in) will range in color between very light looking more golden and less red to all Padauk which can be very deep red with some subspecies looking more golden brown in between. More builders are looking at alternative woods that are sustainably harvested such as Padauk and Narra. Some sets exhibit a burl figure creating a unique bookmatched pattern. The luxurious Amboyna burl grows on the Narra tree.

Hope this helps. I would use it in a heartbeat.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Yeah I found that it is mostly imported from the Salomon Islands apparently it is also grows in the philipines where where my pieces were aquired. Obviously I have a lucky find digging around in dads basement of junk but as far as tone is concerned how is it in comparison to mahogany, maple etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:37 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Went to town today after my forest expidition on some the red narra have enough of it for one more guitar or two tops. Here's a picture of my progress. Took a chunk too much out with chisel shouldn't be a problem as that will get routed out for a pickup anyways.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Narra is one of my favorite tone woods to work with. I love the tone color and the amazing iridescent that curly Narra exhibits. No other curly tone wood has the flash that Narra can give. It is almost like watching an electrical storm.

Attachment:
NARRA.jpg

This was after scraping a Zpoxy pore fill back to wood and wiping down with a 60% alcohol-40% Zpoxy wash coat. I loved the curl in this set :D This is the guitar shown in my avitar

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.