All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:08 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
A friend and customer of mine wants to know if this guitar is worth fixing up and if so what they may sound like when everything works.

Since this is one of my first ever posts in this "dark side" part of the OLF... :D please go easy on me - I am usually an acoustic guy but I have been known to do project guitars (electrics) when no one is looking and late at night.... :lol:

We know nothing about it and it came from someone who picked it up at a yard sale. A refret was in process at some point and the frets have been removed and the binding on the neck too. Parts are missing and if you don't see it I don't have it either.

Interestingly the neck is 1.5" at the nut and 2 1/8 at the last place where a fret once lived.

So anything that you can tell us about it would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any good bets for parts, used or otherwise that would be great too. And I am most curious to learn what these puppies sounded like in their day if anyone knows?

Many thanks!!!! [:Y:] :)

Attachment:
DSC02707.jpg

Attachment:
DSC02709.jpg

Attachment:
DSC02710.jpg

Attachment:
DSC02711.jpg

Attachment:
DSC02713.jpg

Attachment:
DSC02714.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matt
Last Name: Borland
State: MI
Focus: Build
I believe that model is a Caravelle. From what I can find they were made in the early to mid sixtys. There is currently one on gbase in very good condition for $895. The only reviews of the sound say that they sound pretty good and are not for neo-metal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I am not familiar with this model but I think these old 60 guitar are very cool and can sound pretty good with distinctive tones. David Lindley used to play old no name guitars and make them sound great. The Bigsby style tremolo is a plus. It would be cool to fix it up.

A little info I found.

Around 1960, Framus began making electric guitars that were actually designed to be electric guitars. 1963 brought the Atilla Zoller model which was an archtop with single cutaway and two pickups. In 1965, Framus came out with the Caravelle model which was an archtop with double cutaways and two pickups - and a tremolo. Also by 1965, many high end models were equipped with an organ tone which was a spring-loaded volume knob with a spigot handle. This was an attempt at a Leslie effect. (Leslie was a popular organ speaker of the day.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hesh,

Here is a clip of David Lindley's band. Both guitar players are playing cheap early 60s guitar. This will give you an idea what those old electrics sound like. David is playing a Tesco (sp) and the other guitar play has an old Silver Tone. I stared at that Silver Tone in the sear catalog for years when I was a teenager. It came with a little amp in the accessory compartment of the case. The one you have is a semi-hollow body that I do not see many of. I always tell my wife to keep and eye out for things like this when she goes out to garage sells [:Y:] bliss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ogl7jDvLhU&feature=related

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mitch
Last Name: Johnson
City: Little Falls
State: Minnesota
Zip/Postal Code: 56345
Just thought I'd put in my to cents. I own an acoustic Framus and on the inside label it says made in the heart of Bavaria. Not sure if the electics are German for sure, but I think they are. Also I've seen a couple semi hollows like yours, but not quite as deluxe. Maybe a cheaper model with less features...It's a nice looking guitar. I know Framus still makes some pretty nice amps and possibly still electric guitars.

The acoustic I own is interesting...Bolt on neck made of vertical grained something. A pretty bulbous arched maple back and finished in a sunburst...It looks awesome but it is impossible to set up, and I'm affraid the neck has little life left.

The one you have there looks like it's worth fixing up....Even though it isss an electric.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:01 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Thanks everyone for the info and assistance!

If this was in the class of Teisco guitars which I remember well as the cool looking, shiny pieces of crap that could not have intonation set and sold at 5 & dime stores then this thing if completely restored will be a restored piece of crap.... :D So probably not worth it and I was able to read in Framus's archives about these too.

Thanks again everyone! [:Y:]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:02 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: John
Last Name: McGee
City: Belleville
State: Illinois
If you decide not to restore it, LMK and we can talk about me taking it off your hands.

My blog - http://poplarmechanics.blogspot.com/