Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1st Project Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I have just come into a Greco Les Paul that I want to refinish. This is the first time I've done anything like this so help is appreciated. My first question is about the neck. This guitar has a set neck. What is the best way to seperate a set neck from the body. Is using the steam the best option? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 1st Project Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
marmeduke wrote:
I have just come into a Greco Les Paul that I want to refinish. This is the first time I've done anything like this so help is appreciated. My first question is about the neck. This guitar has a set neck. What is the best way to seperate a set neck from the body. Is using the steam the best option? Thanks.

Why do you want to remove the neck? Is there some type of damage? You don't need to remove the neck to refinish the guitar. That would be an awful lot of trouble and risk to go to just to refinish. MHO.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Russell
Last Name: LaRoche
Mike Baker wrote:
marmeduke wrote:

Why do you want to remove the neck? Is there some type of damage? You don't need to remove the neck to refinish the guitar. That would be an awful lot of trouble and risk to go to just to refinish. MHO.

I agree - unless the neck needs a reset or something along those lines - don't remove it. It is a little more challenging to remove material around the neck joint area just because it is a tough angle to get your hands into and so forth, but take your time and do it right and it will actually save time in the end and prevent you from going back to fix mistakes.
By the way, I usually start with a random orbital palm sander for the top and back to remove the bulk of the material. A disc sander for most of the sides. Then it's all hand sanding from there on out for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks - that's helpful. Though it's one of the highend Greco models I don't like the color nor the size. It's almost 12 pounds! What I want to do is take a thick slice off the body and put on a flamed maple cap. That's why I would have to take the neck off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Russell
Last Name: LaRoche
marmeduke wrote:
Thanks - that's helpful. Though it's one of the highend Greco models I don't like the color nor the size. It's almost 12 pounds! What I want to do is take a thick slice off the body and put on a flamed maple cap. That's why I would have to take the neck off.

Wow - so you are in for some work on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

In that case, what I'd do is remove the fretboard, then use a couple of hot pallete knives to loosen the glue around the neck tenon/joint area, assuming the joint is anything like a Gibby. You won't know until you get into it. There are other ways of doing it, but that's my take. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Like this:
http://www.dbeweb.com/guitar/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 am 
Walnut
Walnut

If I were to decide not to do this project I would like to take care of a couple of finish blemishes. Is there a way, possible with a chemical, to repair a small spot in the finish. It does not effect the paint underneath.