It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I have been asked to replace the fret(s) on a Mexican vihuela owned by our school district and used in their mariachi band. It has five nylon frets - one has come untied and there is not enough material to retie it (they are apparently cut very close to the knot after tying).

The present frets measure about 0.55mm (0.020 inch) in diameter and are a light blue color - could very well be some sort of fishing line? They pass three times over the fingerboard and have loop on the back that would allow the line to be pulled tight before tying. When putting the new one on I will attempt to duplicate this arrangement.

So, my questions are - what is the best (or traditional) material to use? How do I tie the knots at the end so they don't slip or loosen? Where on the back of the neck should the knots be located (now two of them are towards the center of the back of the neck, the others are offset to the bass side)? Unless I can perfectly match the diameter of the existing frets I assume I should replace all of them - any trick for checking the action afterwards?

As always, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:05 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hi Freeman, can't stand to see your thread out here unanswered so hopefully something here will help.

As for material especially with Mexican instruments they used what they had. By the way this was often how Gibsons were built back in the day too hence the bastardized models that don't quite look like any known model.

Fishing line could be it and could be used as well. Or a set of nylon classical strings would get you at .028ish string likely long enough for five frets. Tell the owner you converted the thing to jumbo frets better for shredding.... ;)

As for tying I always have to Google this. I just Googled "tying frets" and a host of methods for various instruments result that may get you to where you want to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:36 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Hesh, thank you for responding to Freeman's question. I've always been curious about tied frets, too. After doing my own Google search per your recommendation, now I know how they're tied. You're very generous with your time here. Your responses to other people have helped me more times than you will ever know.
Patrick

These users thanked the author cphanna for the post: Hesh (Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Kewl reading , I had no idea what he was asking . Never heard of that instrument . Learn something new everyday.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Hesh, thank you for responding - I have looked at several of the articles on tying lute frets and that is helpful, but this one is done differently. All of the lutes have either one or two wraps around the neck - this one has three with a little tensioning knot. I think I can figure it out and will post some pictures when I do it.

Right now I'm off to the sporting goods store with my calipers to measure fishing line.

edit to add - found links to Saz frets - they seem to have three wraps so I think I'm good to go.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Hesh (Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
[:Y:] Please post some pictures when its finished this should be interesting ! [:Y:]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 pm)