All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gibson 125 back repair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Wilson
Focus: Build
Need some opinions here guys. I have a '66 es 125tc that has some serious damage to the back. It's had a bodge repair at somepoint and I know it's not worth a fortune but it holds a sentimental value, plays and sounds great.
Do I.. A. Remove the back and try to repair as best I can (which would be much better than it is now, see pic. Is that expanding foam lol) then refit retaining the dent marks and original vintage cracked celly laquer.
B. Make a new back but from solid maple. Problem is I would need to age the finish.
Or C. Leave it? With the splitting and delamination is it structurally sound? The inside layer of the back seems to be coming away more than half the total body length.

What do you think guys. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I'd probably attempt a repair if it was mine.... if it was a client, I'd suggest a new back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
OUCH! It's such a pretty guitar otherwise. I don't know how to advise you, but I'll be watching for other suggestions. Is it your own guitar? If so, it seems to me you could think of it as a labor of love, rather than a practical matter. You could attempt a repair and, if it just doesn't work out, you can make a new back at that point. I realize that's not a very helpful answer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I was scrolling down and going to write "ouch" and see that our friend Patrick beat me to it so I will simply say "ouch +1!" :)

Couple of things: First see Ed Minch's excellent restoration of a G*bson L-OO for one of the best examples of piecing together very damaged plates that I have ever read or seen!!!! I think Ed goes by the screen name of Ruby50 and that thread may be in the first page still of current threads.

Or making a new back is likely no more work in this case with either solution being likely a lot of work. The refinishing thing is a concern as you mentioned in so much as this is a desirable ax, I like em a great deal, and refinishing and vintage value do not walk in lock step unfortunately meaning that refinishing may hurt the value of the instrument.

Either approach will require skill, knowledge, and time. This would be a pretty expensive repair as well if professionally done so keeping that in mind too may be prudent in determining which direction you wish to go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: Wilson
Yeah I think Ouch! Is the actual technical term for that lol. It is my own guitar, it was given to me by my father a long time ago. She's a little rough around the edges and has lots of lovely wear and laquer crack, it was a working musicians guitar so no case queen but the back has always annoyed me.

Looking at that L series Ed did, which is amazing by the way, I think this will be repairable. The big issue is always damaging the value of the instrument but in this case I wonder if it's value now with the damage would be any more than its value with a well repaired and refinished back? I think it's probably about 50/50 but as you said it's a "desirable" guitar for many reasons so it's worth it for me and to make sure it lasts another fifty years. End of the day after much thought im repairing not replacing. Probly a little less work than making a new back. Keep it original as possible.

I'm in the middle of a build just now so once this is finished I'll tackle this. Will post my progress here as I go. May need a few pointers but I'm game since it's mine. Would be apprehensive if it wasn't but hey, as Dr pepper says "what's the worst that could happen" haha.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep you posted.

Brian.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:05 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Zip/Postal Code: 60622
Focus: Repair
If the back can be repaired, I would saw the back off with a fine-kerfed hand saw right at the bottom of the binding. Repair the back, put the back back on. It should key back together pretty well. Making a new back would be the tougher way to go. Lots more steps involved and won't fit back together without a lot of work to the sides. You may still have to do finish work, but substantially less than making a whole new back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Brian,
Now...I'm no repair expert, nor am I an appraiser of vintage axes. I'll tell you this much, though: I think instruments which are handed down from a father are in a special category. If you intend to keep this guitar (I sure would, if my father had given it to me) then it hardly matters (assuming a good repair) what you will do to the potential collector value. It's a family heirloom. If you are not sentimental about these things, then you need to consider the potential resale value. You obviously have some options:

You could unload it in its present condition and let someone else worry about the repair.

You could fix it and then worry about selling it for whatever you could get for it.

Or...you could fix it with no intention of selling it, and then hand it down to the next generation whenever a deserving kid comes along in the family.

I don't know what you will do, but I know what I would do. (See my third option).

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

The backs on these are a press laminated arch, so making a new back is not really feasible.
I'd be removing the back binding then removing the back with a hot pallet knife and then repairing the damage as best you can before refitting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Jeff Highland wrote:
The backs on these are a press laminated arch, so making a new back is not really feasible.
I'd be removing the back binding then removing the back with a hot pallet knife and then repairing the damage as best you can before refitting.

I agree fully . to repair this will require the removal of the back and repair then reattach.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Quote:
I would saw the back off with a fine-kerfed hand saw right at the bottom of the binding. Repair the back, put the back back on.

Not Trying to beehive here , but I would like to see a video of this being done successfully ? Am I misunderstanding the thought based on the wording here ? I have never heard of a back being "sawed off" . Granted I'm no pro at this stuff . Is this a common approach ? Would like some input here . idunno idunno

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/