It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mark
Last Name: Gammell
State: NE
I'm working on a Gibson Thunderbird bass. The pickup screws keep working their way out, and when I took them apart I saw that they screw into wood, with a spring on the screw between the pickup and the body. No surprise there, but I question the wisdom of having an adjustment screw screwing into wood. So far I've just filled 'em and drilled 'em, and that works, but I'd like to find a more permanent solution.

Is there a place I can look to get a metal insert/bushing to put in so the adjustment screw goes into metal? I can get the exact parameters if necessary, but for now I'm just wondering if such an animal exists. The screws are black, so if I have to replace them I'll need black ones, as any other color on this thing will look out of place.

Thanks

Eric Cartman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Dan
Last Name: Savage
City: Trabuco Canyon
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92679
Bill Braske wrote:
I'm working on a Gibson Thunderbird bass. The pickup screws keep working their way out, and when I took them apart I saw that they screw into wood, with a spring on the screw between the pickup and the body. No surprise there, but I question the wisdom of having an adjustment screw screwing into wood. So far I've just filled 'em and drilled 'em, and that works, but I'd like to find a more permanent solution.

Is there a place I can look to get a metal insert/bushing to put in so the adjustment screw goes into metal? I can get the exact parameters if necessary, but for now I'm just wondering if such an animal exists. The screws are black, so if I have to replace them I'll need black ones, as any other color on this thing will look out of place.

Thanks

Yes. McMaster-Carr sells several types and sizes of threaded inserts for wood.

See: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=10a7w3j

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: george
Last Name: s
Focus: Repair
Also, Rockler, and I may have seen them at Lowes. You may have to trim them down, so you don't accidentally pop through the back. I say this not so much for you, but to remind me :-)