PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Focus: Build
I put a ding in a new Recording King resonator.
The finish (modern poly finish most likely) is white on the edges where it broke.
What is a good way to erase these white edges while drop filling with CA?
The finish is really hard, and thick. I can’t cut it with a new scalpel.
A test on another guitar (I put a similar ding in it) was “invisible” except for a I can’t get the white out.
It won’t accept straight transtint dye either.
I’m stumped. I haven’t touched the real ding yet

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
CA will usually remove the white bits from my experience. I use GluBoost for this and once it coats the shattered edges of the finish, no more white.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am) • Kbore (Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:05 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Barry Daniels wrote:
CA will usually remove the white bits from my experience. I use GluBoost for this and once it coats the shattered edges of the finish, no more white.

Thank you, I drop CA'd it and the white disappeared.
The black guitar I did a dry run on actually had a thin white primer coat under the black; I removed a tuner and scraped back to the white. Go figure... You seldom know what you're getting into fixing cheap instruments.

Karl Borum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Done and done. Good.

A question about resolving dents similar to this one: If the surface is broken, doesn't that allow steaming the dent with a clothes iron or hobby covering iron, potentially reducing the amount of fill?

Thanks!

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Karl my friend my business partner and I often joke about the guy who comes into the shop and is acting like the world is going to end. He tells us he is so upset and he sure hopes we can help.

This is NOT directed at you my friend just sharing what a dent means to us these days.

He opens the case and says "look" and stands back as if he is looking a pile of dead bodies.... Dave or I will look and we can't see anything untoward so we invariably say "what?" He says again "OMG, it's awful look?" That's when I might say "WTF I don't see anything..." :)

Then he points out a very small scratch or a ding of some sort and he looks as dejected as can be.

Dave and I look at each other and we both have a look on our face like we had better not say what we are thinking..... So we usually don't. But if we know the client well we might say what we were thinking which is "great, now that you f-ed up your guitar you can relax and learn how to play the thing...."

:)

Sorry could not resist.

We would not recommend fixing this because the scope of these things, the project will creep. You start out with a dime sized blemish and then it becomes a quarter and so on and so forth.

If you do want to fix it I am not sure if the white will go way with the following, probably not but the dent will go away. Try steaming it with a soldering gun and wet rag (have fire extinguisher charged and ready to go...). I did a tutorial on the OLF that may be called "Steaming out a dent" that shows how to do this.

So I would try to reduce the dent (or eliminate it) with some steam first and then if need be drop fill with a quality thin CA, never use accelerator unless you are using Glue Boost. We wait over night and then scrap back the CA. A couple applications may be necessary. Once it's leveled from scraping and filling we wet sand. It likely from my experience will show a little but will be better than it is now and most important since a guitar is a tool for a musician you won't be able to feel it and get distracted when playing.

I don't know if anyone ever said this before but guitar building is an exercise in making some mistakes along the way and then getting old enough to forget that you did :) I've forgotten a lot.... :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
phavriluk wrote:
Done and done. Good.

A question about resolving dents similar to this one: If the surface is broken, doesn't that allow steaming the dent with a clothes iron or hobby covering iron, potentially reducing the amount of fill?

Thanks!

Yes and good point Peter. Different finishes have different permeation rates with poly being the worse for this but it's worth a try especially if the dent can be felt.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

A ding on my personal guitars: character.
A ding on someone else's new out of box guitar that I smoothed the sharp fret ends on, is a different kind of "character" that reflects more on ME.....

Lucky me, I put a nasty ding on a new build I'm finishing up.
I get to test out the point- of- steam- from- a- soldering- iron method. Wish I had an adjustable one to lower the temperature (note to self). Most stand-alone Weller models use a calibrated thermal switch module, in the barrel, that switch's the tip current on and off.

Karl Borum