Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:12 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
Thanks Robbie. I’ve been laminating my side supports inside my linings for a while now. I know there are reasons for and against various side reinforcement options but this is what I have settled on. They are wider on this one than I typically do though.

I’ve been getting a bit beefy on my UTB lately. Probably overkill. I have been doing forward shifted soundholes lately. I just started filling up the smaller space with structure. I feel like I don’t have to worry too much about the heel block rotating forward since it butts to the UTB. I’d love feedback on if I am causing problems for myself. . .

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
resetting a neck on 2 martins
restoring a 67 D35
Repairing binding on 3 martins

3 fret jobs and 3 bridge reglues
1 on a guild we string and 2 martins

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Bryan Bear wrote:
Thanks Robbie. I’ve been laminating my side supports inside my linings for a while now. I know there are reasons for and against various side reinforcement options but this is what I have settled on. They are wider on this one than I typically do though.

I’ve been getting a bit beefy on my UTB lately. Probably overkill. I have been doing forward shifted soundholes lately. I just started filling up the smaller space with structure. I feel like I don’t have to worry too much about the heel block rotating forward since it butts to the UTB. I’d love feedback on if I am causing problems for myself. . .

It... might be ok. Those stiff looking linings will be functioning as critical braces between the upper X legs and upper transverse brace. Otherwise the stress is all dumped on the little soundhole braces and it will fold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
DennisK wrote:
It... might be ok. Those stiff looking linings will be functioning as critical braces between the upper X legs and upper transverse brace. Otherwise the stress is all dumped on the little soundhole braces and it will fold.

I’m definitely not worried about it not being strong enough. The top of the heel block goes right to the UTB which has a robust connection inlet into the linings. Any downward torque on the fretboard extension will be adequately supported.

I Don’t feel like a beefy UTB will really be costing any time but people may have insight to the contrary.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Certainly the upper bout is plenty strong. It's the soundhole area I worry about. Imagine the neck and upper bout as perfectly rigid and immovable. Everything south of the UTB would still bend upward due to the strings pulling on the bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Bryan Bear wrote:
Working on a curly white oak and lutz OOish 12 fret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love a curly oak guitar, nice, clean work.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Bryan Bear (Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:25 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
Been a couple years working on this trio, always something getting in the way of the guitar shop. But some recent progress happening, necks on 2 and the third in process. Hope to get these done in next couple months.

2 padauks with hog necks and I think Lutz tops.
1 macasser with curly maple neck, Carpathian top and an arm rest.
All bolt on M&T necks and cantilevered violin style finger boards.

All 12 fret. Will post pics as progress occurs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 3): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:44 pm) • Bryan Bear (Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 am) • Hesh (Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
jfmckenna wrote:
Is that walnut Chris Ensor?

koa

http://ensorguitars.com

These users thanked the author Chris Ensor for the post: jfmckenna (Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Diamond darts, a first for me.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 5): kfish (Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:24 am) • Hesh (Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am) • Chris Pile (Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 am) • rbuddy (Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 pm) • Bryan Bear (Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:08 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
French polishing... so much French polishing in various stages...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tokBwKrl.jpg[/img

Also received word that two guitars I built during my annual working holiday in Granada Spain have returned to my mentor's shop after having been French polished by the master varnisher of Granada, Antonio Ariza. The cedar/Guatemalan Rosewood concert model will be strung up my friend in the shop and sent to my agent in Germany while the Maple bodied Torres inspired guitar will be sent to me in New York so I can make a nut and saddle, finish the fretwork, and get it finished before sending it to it's future owner in California

These users thanked the author oval soundhole for the post (total 3): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:45 pm) • Robbie_McD (Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 am) • Hesh (Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Books, accounts, closely followed by Tax Returns..........

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:51 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
Colin North wrote:

Colin this is the most stressful time of year for me at Ann Arbor Guitars because of the books and tax return(s) that you mentioned. It takes me away from fixing stuff and makes me be a bean counter and I don't like it much. So my sympathies and I can relate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Hesh wrote:
Colin North wrote:

Colin this is the most stressful time of year for me at Ann Arbor Guitars because of the books and tax return(s) that you mentioned. It takes me away from fixing stuff and makes me be a bean counter and I don't like it much. So my sympathies and I can relate.

Thanks, but it's fairly simple accounts - not a burden, just tiresome - I studied accountancy and worked in an office for a year, just takes 3/4 days, and it's already drafted, so last day today! bliss

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

oval soundhole wrote:
French polishing... so much French polishing in various stages...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tokBwKrl.jpg[/img

Also received word that two guitars I built during my annual working holiday in Granada Spain have returned to my mentor's shop after having been French polished by the master varnisher of Granada, Antonio Ariza. The cedar/Guatemalan Rosewood concert model will be strung up my friend in the shop and sent to my agent in Germany while the Maple bodied Torres inspired guitar will be sent to me in New York so I can make a nut and saddle, finish the fretwork, and get it finished before sending it to it's future owner in California

How's your wrist and shoulder doing? O.o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I got the top of that old Martin I’ll have to say it was absolutely the filthiest inside of a guitar I’ve ever seen in my life!
The back and sides were nowhere near as dirty as the top. Anyway I managed to get the loose braces all off that I needed to without much trouble they didn’t put up much of a fight

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Hesh (Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:02 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
Brad Goodman wrote:
I got the top of that old Martin I’ll have to say it was absolutely the filthiest inside of a guitar I’ve ever seen in my life!
The back and sides were nowhere near as dirty as the top. Anyway I managed to get the loose braces all off that I needed to without much trouble they didn’t put up much of a fight

Looks like she was permitted at some point to be a crispy critter and dry out. That is pretty dirty too amazingly so for the inside of the top. Wow!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
9 cleats?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Looks like flood damage to me.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I would be tempted to take that top into the backyard and hit it with the sandblaster. ;-)

I have a 70's Martin in the shop that may have been worse than yours. It looked like it got soaked and then stored in it's case for years. The inside was covered with a thick layer of mold.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Barry Daniels wrote:
I would be tempted to take that top into the backyard and hit it with the sandblaster. ;-)

I have a 70's Martin in the shop that may have been worse than yours. It looked like it got soaked and then stored in it's case for years. The inside was covered with a thick layer of mold.

Barry, did you need to clean up that Martin and if so, how did you approach dealing with the mold? Just had a very moldy guitar arrive at my shop this week and will need to clean it up before I start any repairs. In the past I’ve tried pouring rice in the soundhole, shaking the guitar and vaccuming it all out which kind of worked but I’m wondering if there’s a better way…

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Itzkin
State: NY/Granada
jfmckenna wrote:

Not bad! pore filling that padauk guitar with pumice and shellac was a workout with its cavernous pores but I'm still at an age where I can abuse my body and wake up feeling fine. Not sure how long I can keep up this 13-16 guitars a year pace; will probably slow down when I hit 30 in a few years...

These users thanked the author oval soundhole for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Neck pickup sounded buzzy and distorted.
Popped the pickup out, a loose screw was stuck to the magnet on the back.
This one is now officially finished.
Mahogany, Camphor, Purple Heart. Nitro finish.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post (total 5): Hesh (Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:05 am) • Durero (Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 pm) • Bryan Bear (Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:37 am) • bcombs510 (Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

oval soundhole wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

Not bad! pore filling that padauk guitar with pumice and shellac was a workout with its cavernous pores but I'm still at an age where I can abuse my body and wake up feeling fine. Not sure how long I can keep up this 13-16 guitars a year pace; will probably slow down when I hit 30 in a few years...

Try starting with wet/dry sandpaper on woods like that. Quicker abrasion and no pumice getting stuck in the pores. Then switch to pumice to level it off. I use an artgum eraser as a small sanding block, with one side rounded over to get in the waist. Something larger might be better for the back. Use alcohol while sanding to make slurry with the shellac wash coat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

DennisK wrote:
oval soundhole wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

Try starting with wet/dry sandpaper on woods like that. Quicker abrasion and no pumice getting stuck in the pores. Then switch to pumice to level it off. I use an artgum eraser as a small sanding block, with one side rounded over to get in the waist. Something larger might be better for the back. Use alcohol while sanding to make slurry with the shellac wash coat.

I brush on the first 3-4 coats of shellac after filling too just to build it up before the elbow work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jfmckenna wrote:
I brush on the first 3-4 coats of shellac after filling too just to build it up before the elbow work.

Interesting. How thick are you making it? By the time the pores are filled, I'm pretty much done. Just a thin film to gloss it up. And if I can't get the muneca to work (which is most of the time), I just sand it with the first 3 grits of micromesh and wipe on a coat of dilute shellac. If done properly, the surface tension forms a nearly perfect surface except for some slightly visible streaks in the direction of wiping.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 57  Next