Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
I've decided I can't go on without a buffing machine like the SM one I once owned. I don't really want to spend that much money so I want to build my own.

I need a 1x36 shaft/arbor. What is the thread kength? Once I have that, I can build it easily.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

Last edited by banjopicks on Mon May 13, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Diy buffing machine
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:25 am 
Koa
Koa

After thinking more, instead of threads, I'm going to try stop collars. I think I can squeeze them together tight enough for buffing. A little slippage never hurts anyway.

Next thing I need to figure out is how to reduce a standard motor to run slow enough. I have a motor and don't want to purchase a slow speed one. I wonder how big the shaft wheel will need to be.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Hutch--

A Shop Fox buffing arbor costs roughly $140 USD, shipping included:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-f ... 5MQAvD_BwE

Not the same as the StewMac version, I know, but I think it is a lot better than trying to build one yourself. Just my opinion.

A benefit of the Shop Fox model is that it has a stepped pulley, so you can change the RPM.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
How about a go kart axle like this, https://www.amazon.com/GoPowerSports-Ax ... 87&sr=8-26

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yup, I ordered the SM buffer minus the motor.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:40 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hutch I'm late to the dance but OLFer Bruce Dickey RIP built and documented here on the forum one of the nicest buffers I have ever seen. It had a long shaft so you were nice and far from the center support and motor. Maybe do a search on Bruce's name if interested?

Also the motor size is critical on a buffer and since a buffer can grab and throw a guitar you really want a motor small enough not what we usually go for which is big enough you want a motor small enough that if you really dig in with the buffer you can stop the motor.

If I remember correctly no faster than 1,100 RPM too to help avoid burning through the finish.

A really good guy to talk about all things buffers is my friend OLFer Joe White he'a s professional finisher and really knows his stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
It's the pully size (sizes) that reduce the motor speed.
This is the best tool I've ever found for that, it will even calculate your belt length, which you will nedd if you are building custom:
https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: Hesh (Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Hutch I'm late to the dance but OLFer Bruce Dickey RIP built and documented here on the forum one of the nicest buffers I have ever seen. It had a long shaft so you were nice and far from the center support and motor. Maybe do a search on Bruce's name if interested?

Also the motor size is critical on a buffer and since a buffer can grab and throw a guitar you really want a motor small enough not what we usually go for which is big enough you want a motor small enough that if you really dig in with the buffer you can stop the motor.

If I remember correctly no faster than 1,100 RPM too to help avoid burning through the finish.

A really good guy to talk about all things buffers is my friend OLFer Joe White he'a s professional finisher and really knows his stuff.

So you may have noticed that I went ahead and bought the motorless SM buffer. I have a 1/3 hp 1700 rpm motor I can take off a tool I don't use. I can't remember but I think I used a 1/3 hp when I last had this buffer. I'm not sure. I'm going to try it before buying a new or used one.

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Hesh (Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
banjopicks wrote:
Hesh wrote:

So you may have noticed that I went ahead and bought the motorless SM buffer. I have a 1/3 hp 1700 rpm motor I can take off a tool I don't use. I can't remember but I think I used a 1/3 hp when I last had this buffer. I'm not sure. I'm going to try it before buying a new or used one.

1/3 HP should be great.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
banjopicks wrote:
Hesh wrote:

I have the same motor, just because I already had it. I think the weaker motor may haved saved me from a burn through or two. I'd looked at the Shop Fox one, but glad I got the SM one for the shaft length since I switched to classicals built the Spanish method with the neck and body integrated. It sits on a sled that swings down from the ceiling so I'm not taking a hit on floor space except when it's in use.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com