Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Adam
Last Name: Yavner
City: Wylie
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 75098
Focus: Build
Hi all - wondered if there was any common formula or measurement to be applied when building a set neck for a semi-hollow.

I am thinking after my current build that I might take a stab at a Ric 12 string type body. I can get outside measurements and most other things I can infer from the specs, but not sure how wide, tall or deep to make the neck tongue that slots into the body. On a Ric, the front of the body is carved and all the cavities routed out of the underside, including the chambers, and the neck pocket. The neck is then glued in and then a back plate put over all that.

none of the template or plan sites have drawings or templates, as John Hall and co are (understandably) very protective of their distinct design. However, no harm in a one-off that's just built as a tribute and not for sale, in my opinion.

So, how do i go about thinking this thru?

Here's some food for thought..

adam

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Stephen
Last Name: Ziegenfuss
City: Jackson
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
It looks like you could get a good idea right from those pictures. You know the scale length - and where it joins to the body, so you can put it in a drawing editor program and compare line lengths...

Other than that, you could do a basic moment analysis...the torque created by the string acting about a point - such as the corner of the neck to the body has to be countered by a force acting at the center of the tenon and its length from that same point - it would give you a ballpark estimate - assuming material rigidity.

Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sounds like a pretty cool project but one that is IMO one of the most challenging electric builds you could undertake.

1) The necks are very narrow and have 2 truss rods to keep everything stiff and stable.
2) The fretboard is a special material that even Rick has trouble keeping themselves supplied...actually a formica type material.
3) The 12-string headstock has tuners going both ways and uses up every mm^2 of available space so it must be VERY precisely milled.

I happen to own a 1966 model 360-12 and restored it some years ago. A couple of suggestions would be to see ig there is still a Rickenbacker forum to get a list of original parts suppliers. I would also recommend looking up a repair guy in the Seattle area by the name of Mark Arnquist. 8 years ago when I restored mine, he was THE recognized expert on anything Rickenbacker.

Here are a few pics of mine if it helps any. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Attachment:
Rickenbacker-M- 001.jpg

Attachment:
Rickenbacker-M- 002.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Cool, thanks! i love a challenge. not too worried about being exact on the materials, as I am not trying to produce a counterfeit so much as a workable clone... was thinking rosewood for the fingerboard?

Not sure about the dual trussrods, will definitely have to put some thought into that. Currently working on an OM build, but eager to get started on this project!!

nice pics, bet that baby chimes!

adam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This guitar sounds like retro Byrds as well as conjures up some tasty memories of those late 60's summers of psychodelia!

Here are a few of the details that make these unique and add to the Rickenbacker mystique.

Attachment:
Rickenbacker-M- 003.jpg

Attachment:
Rickenbacker-M- 004.jpg

Attachment:
Rickenbacker-M- 005.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

That MapleGlo sure is pretty...

Don't think I'll torture myself by trying to duplicate the FireGlo... then again, its my favorite of their colors. AAAAAAAAAA!! bliss